1.    #1  
    Thinking about getting insurance on my two new Treo 700p's I just got about a week ago. I'm considering just going with LoclLine through Sprint, however over at sprintusers.com, I remember some posts about "Mobile ProTech" insurance. Anyone have them/used them? No deducatble, covers theft and water damage among other issues. When you factor out the deductable, Mobile ProTech seems cheaper.
    Any one with any feedback on Mobile ProTech?
    I bought the mobileprotech plan months ago, but I have not needed to use it (thankfully). Last time I checked on their website it looked like the "buy" button was gone for their PDA plan.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rskinner
    I bought the mobileprotech plan months ago, but I have not needed to use it (thankfully). Last time I checked on their website it looked like the "buy" button was gone for their PDA plan.
    I looked at them this morning and could wave sworn that the plan-level for a Treo-like device was listed.

What I'm looking for is someone with first-hand experience claim with them.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD
    Thinking about getting insurance on my two new Treo 700p's I just got about a week ago. I'm considering just going with LoclLine through Sprint, however over at sprintusers.com, I remember some posts about "Mobile ProTech" insurance. Anyone have them/used them? No deducatble, covers theft and water damage among other issues. When you factor out the deductable, Mobile ProTech seems cheaper.
    Any one with any feedback on Mobile ProTech?
    I have no comment or experience about Mobile ProTech but I can tell you about LockLine. I've posted this before.

I bought my Treo 650 brand new from Palm in early March, 2005. In late May, 2006, it went nuts, randomly rebooting itself for no apparent reason, sometimes every five minutes, sometimes a couple times a day. My Treos (I now have both a 650 and a 700p) are on 24/7. I never turn them off. I had racked up in the neighborhood of 20,000 airtime minutes on my 650, gigglebytes of data usage, a thousand SMS messages, who knows how much total use but multiply 24 hours x 7 days x 15 months and that's how long it had been powered on.

It had NEVER been abused, soaked, dropped, or hooked to the wrong charger, never been left in a hot car, always kept in a case. Not a scratch on it; after almost a year and a half it looked brand new. I tried two different original Palm branded batteries, no difference. Random reboots.

So I called Sprint to ask for a replacement as I'd been paying $5.00 a month on my plan for a year and a half for LockLine replacement coverage. They told me I had to call LL directly, which I did. I explained the above to LL. They tried to wiggle out of my claim saying it was only covered for "water damage, theft, breakage, or loss" and not covered for mechanical or electronic failures.

I knew this was wrong as I read the policy's fine print on Sprint's site and it DOES cover electronic or mechanical failures. This was obviously some kind of electronic failure. With steam shooting out of my ears, I got on the horn with Sprint again, asked them to confirm what it covered, they confirmed it covered EVERYTHING I listed above, so I said "LL is refusing to honor my claim for a replacement. YOU, Sprint, say it's covered. I want you to get LL on a three-way call with us and YOU tell them it's covered and tell them to send me a replacement."

The Sprint rep put me on hold and I expected to end up on a three-way call with Sprint and LL. Instead, after a couple minutes, a LL rep was asking me for my address and did I want a replacement 650 sent by UPS ground (free) or overnight for $15.00. I said is there a deductible? They said no, we'll waive the deductible.

I said please ship it overnight, you can bill the $15.00 to my Sprint plan's account. They did, and they did.

I had a new, possibly refurbed (although it's impossible to tell).. 650 with the new(er) Sprint / Nextel logo on it, running the latest ROM revision V1.13a in my hands the next morning. It came in a plain white box in a baggie, with a new battery in a separate sealed baggie.

After I called and activated it and had my spazzed out 650's number transferred to it, I took my BackupBuddyVFS SD card out of my old 650, stuck it in my new 650, did a restore, and EVERYTHING worked perfectly. BBVFS restored ALL my registration keys (which I keep in a memo anyway..) .. I kept an eye on the replacement for a couple days before doing a hard reset on my original 650 and sending it back to them on their nickel in a prepaid UPS box. I wanted to make sure that third party software was not the cause of the first 650's random reboots. It wasn't.

Before I sent the insane 650 back, I did a hard reset on it, just to see if there was ANY possibility of some software conflict that had caused it to go into random reboot mode. Aftre a hard reset, I set it in my Seidio INNOdock crade and within five minutes, with NO third party software on it at all, it rebooted itself. Once, twice, three times a lady. Randomly. Without touching it.

This proved to me that it was an internal electronic failure. Probably related to voltage (Treos are VERY sensitive to voltage) but who knows. I tried two different Palm branded batteries in it and it made no difference. I didn't have days or weeks to **** around with it trying to figure out what was causing the problem, and I was paying them five bucks a month for replacement insurance, so I went that route. I mean what's insurance for?

A couple days later, I put it in the box and shipped it back to Sprint and that was that.

The moral of this long-winded tale is that LL tried to flim-flam me, flat out LIED to me and told me it wasn't covered for electronic or mechanical failures. Sprint kicked their **** and made them honor the insurance. LL sheepisly apologized all over the place, realized they weren't going to worm out of this one and that they weren't dealing with a customer who was going to lie down and get spit on, they waived the $50.00 deductible, and I had a replacement in one day.

My replacement 650 and my month old 700p both have LL replacement insurance on them. The 700p is, of course, under warranty too.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that if you originally bought your Treo with an AMEX card, your one year Palm warranty is automatically doubled to two years. I didn't buy mine with an AMEX card so my Palm warranty was up when my original 650 went berzerk. Thus, I paid five clams a month for the LL insurance and the ONE time I went to use it, they tried to worm out of it. They didn't get away with it.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..