Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    Hello everyone!

    I just stumbled across this forum while searching for one! I just ordered a Treo 650 from Cingular as my Sony Clie bit the dust and my buddy has one that he just loves.

    Ill spare you the gory details but I am in a bit of a bind here.

    The great "deal" I got from Cingular was just too good to be totally true...LOL.

    My Treo only comes with a charger and a battery. No installation cd for palmdesktop nor a USB cable to transfer any data.

    What would you users suggest that I pick up now....just a cable from Palm? A cradle cable?

    I really need to be able to synch with the computer and was disappointed that cingular didnt provide the cable...I should have read the website better.

    Anyhow happy to be here and look forward to learning the in's and out's of my new Treo 650 as soon as it arrives!

    Regards,

    Mike
  2. #2  
    Is it a new Treo 650 from Cingular? If so, why on earth did Cingular tell you that it wont come with a sync cable and Palm Desktop software. All new Treos from Palm come standard with these items. If this is indeed the case, you can purchase the cable from the TreoCentral store, and you should be able to download Palm Desktop from the Palm support site here.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  3. #3  
    Welcome to the forum Mike.

    For cables, check these:
    http://store.treocentral.com/content/accessories/5.htm

    I had a Seidio Sync & Charge cable and liked it because it was retractable and when you plug it in to sync, it also charges. You can also sync via bluetooth (or IR) but it is quite a bit slower. Might as well charge while you sync at a faster rate.

    For Palm desktop, you can just get that from Palm's site:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/palmdesktop.html

    Good luck and be sure to bookmark this site. There are tons of discussions on this forum that can pretty much address any problem you will encounter.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info and welcome!!!!

    I am looking forward to the info here!!!

    Here is the link from Cingular.....the USB cable is NOT included according to them...why I have no earthly idea!

    Link to cingular treo purchase....Click on the included accessories to view

    Enter my zipcode for san antonio as 78258...scroll to the treo and then check the included accessories....

    It only shows battery and charger......

    Any suggestions for MUST HAVEs that make the treo that much better for you?

    Regards,

    Mike
    Last edited by Guttboy; 07/02/2006 at 05:22 PM.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    ...It only shows battery and charger...
    I believe thats just a website omission. I am on Sprint, so I cant speak with firsthand knowledge, but I have two friends with Cingular Treos and they both got a complete kit when purchased new from Cingular. I am sure one of the Cingular users here in the forum can confirm this.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  6.    #6  
    cgordonn,

    I spent over an hour with the folks on the sale site from Cingular and they all told me that it comes with the charger and the battery...thats it.....ratz.

    Now if my Dell 1705 has wifi and bluetooth....could I attempt a hotsynch that way? Would probably take a bit longer so I think I am still pursuing a cable too!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    cgordonn,

    I spent over an hour with the folks on the sale site from Cingular and they all told me that it comes with the charger and the battery...thats it.....ratz.

    Now if my Dell 1705 has wifi and bluetooth....could I attempt a hotsynch that way? Would probably take a bit longer so I think I am still pursuing a cable too!
    You got hosed...anyways, welcome to the forum and glad you joined.
    at&t iPhone3G
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    cgordonn...I spent over an hour with the folks on the sale site from Cingular and they all told me that it comes with the charger and the battery...thats it.....ratz...Now if my Dell 1705 has wifi and bluetooth....could I attempt a hotsynch that way? Would probably take a bit longer so I think I am still pursuing a cable too!
    I think its a universal fact that most CSR's, whether it be Sprint, Verizon or Cingular, dont have a clue about the products they sell. Your Cingular Treo will come with the sync cable and installation CD, because thats the way Palm ships em. As for syncing with your laptop. Wifi wont work, but you should have no problems syncing via bluetooth. I do with both my desktop pc and laptop.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    Hello everyone!

    I just stumbled across this forum while searching for one! I just ordered a Treo 650 from Cingular as my Sony Clie bit the dust and my buddy has one that he just loves.

    Ill spare you the gory details but I am in a bit of a bind here.

    The great "deal" I got from Cingular was just too good to be totally true...LOL.

    My Treo only comes with a charger and a battery. No installation cd for palmdesktop nor a USB cable to transfer any data.

    What would you users suggest that I pick up now....just a cable from Palm? A cradle cable?

    I really need to be able to synch with the computer and was disappointed that cingular didnt provide the cable...I should have read the website better.

    Anyhow happy to be here and look forward to learning the in's and out's of my new Treo 650 as soon as it arrives!

    Regards,

    Mike
    Welcome!

    I am new as well. I also ordered from Cingular and got my Treo 650 few days ago. Cingular does include the sync cable and a headphone. I will post more little later with what I did and bought.
  10. #10  
    That really sucks if don't, but Welcome To TC!
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

    My beer blogs:

    Rev. Rhino on Flickr

    Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  11. #11  
    Cingular online doesn't show snyc cable and headphones, but it is included.

    I am not sure how familiar you are with Palm and Treo, so I will post what I did once I placed my order with Cingular. This is my first experience with Palm product.

    I posted many questions and started to search in hopes to find what I was looking for. (time is of the essence). I am leaving for Paris next Sunday and wanted to take along my Treo with language translator, currency converters, and with everything else that might be helpful on my travel. Some were very helpful, some are very sarcastic and few are on power trips. Overall, this is a great site for Treo.

    This is what I did.

    I ordered 5 cases and bunch of accessories including extra battery. I live near Washington DC area, but canít seem to find many places that carry accessories for Treo. Hard to judge from pictures online so I ordered what appealed to me. Seems Treo Central has great customer service. 30 money back guarantee. They ship fast and on time. I got everything, looked them over and will be returning few that didnít appeal to me.

    As for the softwares, I found two links that were very helpful.

    I rated this link 5 stars due to clarity and well thought out posting. Also it is up to date. (just wish more people would post.)
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=106786

    This is a very good link as well.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=102212

    After about 7 days of posting and researching, I made a list of softwares that appealed to me and downloaded trail version of NeatFreak. This package has Uninstaller, Clean up and OnGuard Back up. Reason why I started with this package is so I can try all the softwares and delete the ones I donít like.

    I toyed with all the trial versions that were on my list. I found, I only liked few and am ready to purchase them.

    As for the Cingular package, if you donít need the VPN, get Media Max 200 ($19.99) or Media Max 1000 ($29.99) Media Max includes text, picture, video messaging, unlimited data service. All the details are covered in Cingular.com.

    This link might be helpful for choosing Media Max.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=118850

    Hope this was helpful and enjoy!
  12.    #12  
    Glad to be here everyone!

    A buddy of mine actually has the Treo 700. He was insists that the Treo 650 always crashes and has loads of bugs. I have not encountered that in my searches but that is before I got here....

    Do you 650 owners have a problem with your treo's crashing all the time? I have cingular as my service provider.

    I hope my Treo comes with the disks and cable....norboo...ill keep my fingers crossed.

    I have a ton of newbie questions....is this the right forum for them....simple ones like....if you are using your treo as a PDA and the phone rings....what happens...OR...can you attach pics you take with the camera to the phone numbers so that if that person calls you can see the associated picture?

    I really like this site and have been trying to weed through all the forum posts! This place is great!!!!!

    Do any of you use Zlauncher...I had that or a similar program on my Clie UX50 before it bit the dust....it had my apps up on the right, a nice clock and calendar on the left and below that a list of my appts for the day.

    Regards,

    mike
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    Hello everyone!

    I just stumbled across this forum while searching for one! I just ordered a Treo 650 from Cingular as my Sony Clie bit the dust and my buddy has one that he just loves.

    Ill spare you the gory details but I am in a bit of a bind here.

    The great "deal" I got from Cingular was just too good to be totally true...LOL.

    My Treo only comes with a charger and a battery. No installation cd for palmdesktop nor a USB cable to transfer any data.

    What would you users suggest that I pick up now....just a cable from Palm? A cradle cable?

    I really need to be able to synch with the computer and was disappointed that cingular didnt provide the cable...I should have read the website better.

    Anyhow happy to be here and look forward to learning the in's and out's of my new Treo 650 as soon as it arrives!

    Regards,

    Mike
    I am shocked that you didn't ge the snyc cable...maybe you got a super deal that doesn't include everything. hmmmm

    what kind of a deal did you get? If I may ask.
  14.    #14  
    Norboo...thanks for the post...I just posted as yours was up...LOL!

    I will be sure to check that info out! I have not yet assigned a plan to the phone except for the one I have been on...they said I could add any services and packages later.

    It was better for me to do this because I am not entirely sure how much I will use the data functions. This way my contract of 2 years for the phone upgrade is on the current plan that I have. Best not to enter into a contract that I wont utilize...this way I can add and subtract without the need to pay all the dough for 2 years if I wont really use it!

    I hope you have a great time in Paris! I myself am only going to Albuquerque so it is a shorter distance by far!

    I know they are sending a new sim card with my new phone....couldnt I just put my old sim in that phone and have it work as well?

    Regards,

    mike
  15.    #15  
    Norboo...it was 199.95 for the Treo 650. it was right off the website!
  16. #16  
    Yup, that's what I got. Came with everything. CD, sync cable, charger and headset.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    Norboo...thanks for the post...I just posted as yours was up...LOL!

    I will be sure to check that info out! I have not yet assigned a plan to the phone except for the one I have been on...they said I could add any services and packages later.

    It was better for me to do this because I am not entirely sure how much I will use the data functions. This way my contract of 2 years for the phone upgrade is on the current plan that I have. Best not to enter into a contract that I wont utilize...this way I can add and subtract without the need to pay all the dough for 2 years if I wont really use it!

    I hope you have a great time in Paris! I myself am only going to Albuquerque so it is a shorter distance by far!

    I know they are sending a new sim card with my new phone....couldnt I just put my old sim in that phone and have it work as well?

    Regards,

    mike
    Whatever plan you choose, you are not bind by them for two years. You can change plans at any time. 2 year contract means that you will be with Cingular for 2 years, not to be stuck on the same plan for the duration.

    von voyage!
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy

    I know they are sending a new sim card with my new phone....couldnt I just put my old sim in that phone and have it work as well?
    I am guessing you can. Mine as you put it "bit the dust". If you have all your contacts in your outlook, I don't see the need for the old SIM card.
  19.    #19  
    Outstanding.....so you saw the 399.99 then the -200.00 for online discount...then the final was 199.99???? I posted a link to the exact place I got it from in my post at the top...just had to put in my zip of 78258 and then you can see it.

    I hope you are right!!!

    BTW....can you use your phone as a phone over there? or will you have to buy a sim card while over there...have never had a phone overseas that I could use yet.

    Regards,

    Mike
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Guttboy
    Outstanding.....so you saw the 399.99 then the -200.00 for online discount...then the final was 199.99???? I posted a link to the exact place I got it from in my post at the top...just had to put in my zip of 78258 and then you can see it.

    I hope you are right!!!

    BTW....can you use your phone as a phone over there? or will you have to buy a sim card while over there...have never had a phone overseas that I could use yet.

    Regards,

    Mike
    Cingular has International package for $5.99 which lowers your roaming rate while over seas. From the date you leave, I recommand 2 months before you cancel for any delays in billing. In Paris, they will charge me $.99 per minute and $.02 per KB for Data. Not cheap. I am going to check voicemails only. I will also be using calling cards, but not on my cell. My phone will be off for most part while I am there. But I will be using all sorts of features and programs.

    I am purchasing:
    Slpash ID to keep all my important information such as, credit card, passport numbers, Ins, so on...
    Metro is free (nice little program if you plan on using the metro.
    2day is pleasing to the eyes and handy for scheduling.
    Splash Travel I am not sure about, but taking along the trail version.
    Talking English to French phrase is handy for any translation I might need. It has very useful phrases that sounds it out.
    Few games incase I get bored.
    Of course NeatFreak
    PocketTunes Deluxe for music
    That's it for now.

    Once I return, I am planning on downloading (after trying trail version first):
    The Core Pocket Media Player "TCPMP" for videos
    Directory Assistant - Automatically queues YellowPages w/ more features
    Card Export II - Makes your computer see your SD card as a removable drive.

    As for Zlauncher and Launcher X, I didn't care for them after trying it. I tested many more...
    I need to test few more softwares after my return. I need a software that will do a better job with contacts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions