Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    For the "Why Can't Palm Gimme a Treo 700 thew size of the Q ?" crowd

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12283

There's no doubt that several companies -- like Palm and HTC -- could create low-cost, ultra-slim devices. But everyone has to accept that these just won't offer all the features of a more expensive, larger smartphone like a Treo 700 or HTC Universal. At the very least, as I've been harping on, the battery life of these would certainly be significantly less than their larger rivals.

Still, I think these models would find people eager to buy them, just not some of the ones who are currently clamoring for just such devices because, honestly, these people have unrealistic expectations.

There is never going to be one device that satisfies all needs, although some people seem to be hoping for one. At least for a while, everyone needs to accept that the choice is going to be between super-slim smartphones with some functionality, and larger ones with more features.

If you are willing to take the trade-offs and still want an ultra-thin smartphone, then go for it. Just don't expect it to offer more than is physically possible.
    I'd pick big and powerful over slim and pretty any day.
    I don't like the form factor of the Q. It is wider to compensate for the thickness of the device just as the Razr which is an illusion, and it feels like a flat calculator. The Treo is proportional in design. Befor I got into the world of Robotics and programming, my M.O. was design engineering and I still pay attention to detail in these cases. Whether it be ergonomics, cosmetic design, or even if the final design rusults in the math and physics of the application, it all matters. I would be impressed only if the Treo kept its dimentions and was thinner. The Treo has a good form factor and the length, width and height compared to the screen is proportional with the keyboard which I love. I think design wise the Treo caught me first and then its capabilities followed.
    at&t iPhone3G
    There may never be one device that satisfies all needs, but a fully functional treo the size of the Q surely is possible. Not sure I'd want the same form factor as the Q though. Thinner yes, otherwise I think the size is fine.
    I think the Treo is fine also, especially compared to a Blackberry, or HP, or any of the other competing brands. This form factor and design is a driving force beyond others that fallow suit that puts this device on demand.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I agree with the calculator analogy on the Q. Sometimes it's okay for phone to feel like a phone. Flat and skinny just isn't that comfortable on the face. The Treo is ergonomically satisfying. Besides... it carries several text books for me I reference at work, makes phone calls, gets my email, and lets me show pictures of my kids. I don't need smaller/thinner... I need Wifi and a POS that can handle data and voice al mismo tiempo. The Q can hide behind a pen... who cares.
  7.    #7  
    Th ebattery issue I think was one of the most important .... withr egard to the authgor's point about Q users not being ab le to get thru a day .... I find anything < a week unacceptable.
    Some seem to not be able to get thru the day with their 700's. My 700's battery lasts more than a day, but I don't play on the phone or surf EVDO highly thru the day. BrightCam applications and my routine use can get me thru two full days before a charge.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Th ebattery issue I think was one of the most important .... withr egard to the authgor's point about Q users not being ab le to get thru a day .... I find anything < a week unacceptable.

As you may have seen from the thread that followed, that comparison is grossly unfair. Its probably one vs two days, or one day vs 1.5 days, with similar usage. Saying one day vs one week brings one back to the black and green screen Palm days. Those days are over.

Surur
    the big question is: why is treo relatively big and clunky and isnt stuffed with the latest features. it so average in everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    the big question is: why is treo relatively big and clunky and isnt stuffed with the latest features. it so average in everything.
    But so unique in its own market...
    at&t iPhone3G
    I think they are going to need to get the weight down in the Treo line and shave a little off the thickness (without making it wider). Although the wideness of the Q is probably what makes it feel more pocketable (secure fit).
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    I think they are going to need to get the weight down in the Treo line and shave a little off the thickness (without making it wider). Although the wideness of the Q is probably what makes it feel more pocketable (secure fit).
    depending on how wide your pockets are, or if you have cargo pants. When I had my hands on the Q, I thought it was a little too wide for me...even for my pocket. Good for your rear pocket too sit on, but too wide for side pockets on the pants I wear at least. I do agree...the Treo will give you some bicepts after a while.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Careful what you wish for. They tried to make the Q really light, and people complain that it feels cheap and plasticy.

One of the biggest complaints about the Q that I've seen is in fact the battery life. Since the Q is targeted toward getting phone users who have been holding out because PDAs are too expensive, those phone users are used to 7+ days of batter life. It's a total shock for them to come over to a smart phone with a 1 day life. And of course the first week you have the thing you're playing with it constantly and run the battery down
    I think the Q is a pretty cool phone. It's arguably just the right mix of smart phone, size, and price. It's no PDA and it's not intended to be. But the batter has to make it 24 full hours to make a phone viable.
    In any case, shaving down size on the Treo is always welcome, but the truth is the Treo is already pretty small until you add a case on to it. But it does weigh your pants down when you put it in your pocket unless you're wearing a belt.

I think I might give the Q a shot myself if I can get over the battery life.
    Q= phone first, then PDA.
    Treo= PDA first, then phone.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Q= phone first, then PDA.
    Treo= PDA first, then phone.
    Right, but a mass market (low cost treo) is going to have to be a phone first, then a PDA second. If palm does not accomplish this they will be in trouble.

But, now as I think about it. The Treo is a phone first (size), pda second. An example of pda first is the 6700.
    An example of pda first is the 6700.

or my HTC universal, and I like it that way.

Surur
    Very true Surur - and add to that list, the I-Mate K-Jam. Excellent PDA, semi-good phone....but it is PDA first.
    Its hard to satisfy...but I like the best of both worlds if possible. A good form factor and performance of a phone, and the performance demanded from a PDA.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    For now I think i'd bve happy with a treo without the external antennae!!!

Then give me thinness, but keep the width the same as the current treo.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast