Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
    For now I think i'd bve happy with a treo without the external antennae!!!

Then give me thinness, but keep the width the same as the current treo.
    I actually like the external antennae. It gives me the extended security of signal strength IMO on Sprint's all digital network in the boonies when I am at the in-laws. If I get no signal or dropped call with an internal antenna...I speculate my possible short commings. If I get no signal or dropped call with an external antenna...at least I didn't cut myself short. I don't know the benchmark in reception with internal vs. external, so I may be totally wrong, but its just a comfort thing.
    at&t iPhone3G
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    the big question is: why is treo relatively big and clunky and isnt stuffed with the latest features. it so average in everything.
    Here's the challenge that has yet to be answered.....show me the device with touch screen, 1 week batterry life, 320 x 320 or better , full QWERTY non slide out keyboard, and does what the Treo can do plus any one of these so called missing or better features......been asked 12 times, no takers as yet.

BTW, if GSM must be quadband plus broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Here's the challenge that has yet to be answered.....show me the device with touch screen, 1 week batterry life, 320 x 320 or better , full QWERTY non slide out keyboard, and does what the Treo can do plus any one of these so called missing or better features......been asked 12 times, no takers as yet.

Exactly...well put.
    at&t iPhone3G
    well, can you tell me any other phone w/c has stuck to its old formfactor for 5 years?
    can you tell me why insist on the bulky antennae even after it has been confirmed that the treo650 emits the most amount of radiation among all cellullar phones?
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    well, can you tell me any other phone w/c has stuck to its old formfactor for 5 years?
    can you tell me why insist on the bulky antennae even after it has been confirmed that the treo650 emits the most amount of radiation among all cellullar phones?

Have you seen the number of Treo's out thiere? I can't swing a dead cat without seeing someone with a Treo. Whot does that mean about the 5 yr old form factor? If it ain't broke don"t fix it!
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    while i do wish the treo was a bit smaller, you can't beat the overall functionality with a 9-foot pole,it still is the "king of the hill" , i know people that have a moto Q,blackberry ,ppc6700 and treo700w and when we discuss the practical use of the phones even they admit that(although a little reluctant) the treo is superior in many ways.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
  7.    #27  
    The Porsche 911/930 form factor is how many years old ? Mine's a 1978 they ain't lookin that much different today and they didn't look that much different years before mine. Palm's Treo sales were up what 30% over last quarter with 12 straight quarters of double digit growth. Where's the problem ?

The Treo is still the 800 pound gorilla tho everyone and his bruddah is jumping in to the fray. The market for plain ole phones is dead, the market for PDA's is dead, the market for "convergence devices is exploding. Palm had a niche market where $$ and sophistication kept it a relatively small one that the big boys were happy to ignore.

But the big boys have been watching Palm's sales figures and their double digit growth and now have realized that this IS the future phone market. Can Palm survive the onslaught ? Who knows. Has anyone come up with a device as yet which challenge the Treo's crown.....no....not yet ... at least not that I have seen

Sliders and rotating screens .... out.
    Non QWERTY keyboards....out.
    No Touch SCreen....out

If ya need a 2nd hand to make phone calls, look up contacts or any usage which ya might do while driving ....out

Look at the PC Market....what's changed there in 10 years ?

We have space saving LCD's....which pale in color accuracy and other performance criteria. We have USB instead of SCSI / parallel / serial peripherals .... anyone notice ? Has the KB or mouse form factor changed ?

Other than gaming, just about anything I can do on my 2 week old SOTA computer I can do just as fast (some things faster) on a P600 SCSI desktop w/ NT4 that I built in the late 1990's.

I can't help but wonder how people expect their lives to change when they get their hands on this new holy grail device. Will I become more productive ? Will I be able to spend more time with my kids ? Is the only thing to be gained is that people will notice me more cause I have the latest and greatest gadget ?
    Quote from the Brighthand article:

There's no doubt that several companies -- like Palm and HTC -- could create low-cost, ultra-slim devices. But everyone has to accept that these just won't offer all the features of a more expensive, larger smartphone like a Treo 700 or HTC Universal. At the very least, as I've been harping on, the battery life of these would certainly be significantly less than their larger rivals.
    I think the author needs a reality check into what is and what is not possible with current smartphone technology. Palm's current Treo design isn't as small as the Motorola Q and lacks useful features such as Voice Activated Dialing/Voice Navigation Recognition (includes Bluetooth headset support) and a flash for the camera. Here's a brief list of the Motorola Q specs:

1. Voice Activated Dialing: Speaker Independent Name and Digit Dialing.
    2. Camera: Integrated 1.3 Mega pixel (1280x960) CMOS Imager with flash.
    3. Personalization Capabilities: Digital Personalization (Ring Tones, Wall papers, etc).
    4. Voice Recognition: Speaker Independent Shortcuts (i.e. Voice Mail, Recent Calls, etc).
    5. Navigation: Thumbwheel, 5 way Nav Key, Left and Right soft keys, Dedicated Camera Key.
    6. Thinnest QWERTY device in the world 11.5mm
    7. Video clip capture and playback
    8. Connectivity via Bluetooth, IrDA and mini-USB; compatible with Motorola H500, HT820, H5, H700, and other Bluetooth wireless headsets.
    9. Multi-Media Messaging (MMS)
    10. Dual, stereo-quality speakers
    11. Audio formats supported: iMelody, MIDI, MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA, WAX, QCELP
    12. Image formats supported: GIF87a, GIF89a, JPEG, WBMP, BMP, PNG
    13. Video formats supported: H.263, MPEG-4, GSM-AMR, AAC, WMV
    14. Mini-SD removable memory card slot
    15. Large, high-resolution display (320 x 240 pixels, 65K TFT QVGA).
    16. PIM functionality with Picture Caller ID
    17. 128MB flash, 64MB RAM memory.
    18. Windows Mobile 5.0.
    19. Actual dimensions 112 64 12 mm.

http://direct.motorola.com/ENG/q-hom...roductid=30546
    Show me the source of information in relation to the radiation level being so high for the treo 650. I wonder if this questionable information relates to the 700p also?
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Show me the source of information in relation to the radiation level being so high for the treo 650. I wonder if this questionable information relates to the 700p also?
    Top 10 highest radiation phones in the U.S.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6602_7-....html?tag=lnav

Value of 1.51 is when operating at 850MHz, when operating on 1900MHz frequency the SAR rating is 0.943. Its on page 189 of your Treo user guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz
    Top 10 highest radiation phones in the U.S.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6602_7-....html?tag=lnav

Value of 1.51 is when operating at 850MHz, when operating on 1900MHz frequency the SAR rating is 0.943. Its on page 189 of your Treo user guide.
    Thanks...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Q= phone first, then PDA.
    Treo= PDA first, then phone.
    LOL

I remember having arguments on an i730 board. There it was:

Treo=phone first, then PDA
    i730=PDA first, then phone

Things change.
    The Treo is still the 800 pound gorilla tho everyone and his bruddah is jumping in to the fray. The market for plain ole phones is dead, the market for PDA's is dead, the market for "convergence devices is exploding.
    Whatever you're on, I know some people who would like a pound of it. The market for plain phones is dead? I must be hallucenating the fact that the industry is expected to ship several hundred million more of them this year. Smartphones are perhaps 1% of the overall phone market. Motorola's craptacular RAZR has sold as many units as all the Treos put together. And contrary to popular opinion, non-phone handhelds still make up a large percentage of sales compared to non-phone devices.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    Motorola's craptacular RAZR has sold as many units as all the Treos put together.
    That's a bit of an understatement There have been a little over 3 million Treos sold cummulatively. Today a press release announced that Motorola shipped their 50 millionth RAZR.
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenke
    I'd pick big and powerful over slim and pretty any day.
    Depends. Are we talking about phones or women?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    How can the RAZR and Treo be compared?

1) One is a smartphone while the other is not.
    2) The target audience for Treo's (heavy on the go e-mail users and techies) is vastly different that the RAZR (anyone that knows how to work a phone).
    3) The prices are vastly different. I can buy a RAZR on Amazon for .01 cent with contract. If I want to buy the latest 700P from Amazon it will cost me $449.99. If I just want to make calls (a huge amount of the population), why wouldn't I save myself $450, plus the cost of a expensive data plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Quote from the Brighthand article:

I think the author needs a reality check into what is and what is not possible with current smartphone technology. Palm's current Treo design isn't as small as the Motorola Q and lacks useful features such as Voice Activated Dialing/Voice Navigation Recognition (includes Bluetooth headset support) and a flash for the camera. Here's a brief list of the Motorola Q specs:

1. Voice Activated Dialing: Speaker Independent Name and Digit Dialing.
    2. Camera: Integrated 1.3 Mega pixel (1280x960) CMOS Imager with flash.
    3. Personalization Capabilities: Digital Personalization (Ring Tones, Wall papers, etc).
    4. Voice Recognition: Speaker Independent Shortcuts (i.e. Voice Mail, Recent Calls, etc).
    5. Navigation: Thumbwheel, 5 way Nav Key, Left and Right soft keys, Dedicated Camera Key.
    6. Thinnest QWERTY device in the world 11.5mm
    7. Video clip capture and playback
    8. Connectivity via Bluetooth, IrDA and mini-USB; compatible with Motorola H500, HT820, H5, H700, and other Bluetooth wireless headsets.
    9. Multi-Media Messaging (MMS)
    10. Dual, stereo-quality speakers
    11. Audio formats supported: iMelody, MIDI, MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA, WAX, QCELP
    12. Image formats supported: GIF87a, GIF89a, JPEG, WBMP, BMP, PNG
    13. Video formats supported: H.263, MPEG-4, GSM-AMR, AAC, WMV
    14. Mini-SD removable memory card slot
    15. Large, high-resolution display (320 x 240 pixels, 65K TFT QVGA).
    16. PIM functionality with Picture Caller ID
    17. 128MB flash, 64MB RAM memory.
    18. Windows Mobile 5.0.
    19. Actual dimensions 112 64 12 mm.

http://direct.motorola.com/ENG/q-hom...roductid=30546

And a battery that barely makes it through the business day. Which was EXACTLY the author's point.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.

Here

1 week+ battery life
    VGA resolution
    Full, non-slide QWERTY
    Has way more features than the Treo

There, it's been done (I hope lol..).
  19.    #39  
    1. That's slide and twist KB. How you open or even hold that one handed ?
    2. Only Triband
    3. Can't fit inside Treo Form factor.....I'll need bigger shirt pockets....and reinforced
    4. 10 ounces ??????...why not Origami ?
    and why is the fact that the Q doenst have a touch screen escape most people?
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast