Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 79 of 79
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    True multi-tasking doesn't not require multiple processors or processor cores. "True" multitasking is called pre-emptive multitasking and most modern OS (Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac OS X) have this capability. Cooperative multitasking is a band-aid for an OS like Palm OS that doesn't support pre-emptive.
    From what I remember from my old Mac OS days (before the shift to a unix base), cooperative multitasking basically requires individual programs to allow themselves to be placed in the background and to play nice with other programs looking for processing time. Pre-emptive multitasking allows the OS to pre-empt any program and say the equivalent of "shut the heck up, I'm in charge here, and you're not using the processor right now, and if you don't like it, too freaking bad."
  2. #62  
    Absolutely right. That's why I called co-operative a band-aid. One misbehaving app and co-operative multitasking doesn't work. Not so with pre-emptive multitasking.

    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    From what I remember from my old Mac OS days (before the shift to a unix base), cooperative multitasking basically requires individual programs to allow themselves to be placed in the background and to play nice with other programs looking for processing time. Pre-emptive multitasking allows the OS to pre-empt any program and say the equivalent of "shut the heck up, I'm in charge here, and you're not using the processor right now, and if you don't like it, too freaking bad."
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  3. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #63  
    True multitasking does require more than one processor. The very term pre-emptive means that one task is going to be pre-empted while another task executes. Of course this happens so fast that it appears as though both tasks are executing at the same time but they really aren't. IIRC it's called time slicing. BTW, this is true even on the biggest baddest computers around (the IBM z series mainframes).
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  4. #64  
    I guess it depends on what you mean by true. Multi-processor execution is usually called parallel or concurrent processing. Everyone I know would call pre-emptive multi-tasking "true" multitasking. But I think we are in agreement about what occurs, the rest is word symantics.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I guess it depends on what you mean by true. Multi-processor execution is usually called parallel or concurrent processing. Everyone I know would call pre-emptive multi-tasking "true" multitasking. But I think we are in agreement about what occurs, the rest is word symantics.
    Agreed.

    I'm just glad it doesn't depend on what the meaning of "is" is.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

    Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Looks like photoshop jobs to me.
    Just open the file with notepad and take a look...

    <rdfescription about='uuid:98a5c362-0661-11db-bdc3-ed1ea745b60f'
    xmlns:xapMM='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/mm/'>
    <xapMMocumentID>adobe:docid:photoshop:98a5c360-0661-11db-bdc3-ed1ea745b60f</xapMMocumentID>
    </rdfescription>

    </rdf:RDF>
    </x:xapmeta>

    Fake, Fake, Fake...
    <img src="http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/9343/scifinerd7jo.jpg" border="0">
    <img src="http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9600/pirateuserbar3mz.jpg" border="0">
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by aenigma
    Just open the file with notepad and take a look...

    <rdfescription about='uuid:98a5c362-0661-11db-bdc3-ed1ea745b60f'
    xmlns:xapMM='http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/mm/'>
    <xapMMocumentID>adobe:docid:photoshop:98a5c360-0661-11db-bdc3-ed1ea745b60f</xapMMocumentID>
    </rdfescription>

    </rdf:RDF>
    </x:xapmeta>

    Fake, Fake, Fake...
    You do know that I put my little logo in the middle of the screen of the device, right? If you want a copy of the originals, PM me w/ ur e-mail.
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
  8. #69  
    Check my engadget story - http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/12/a...ot-plus-specs/

    Its real, I held it.
  9. Dim-Ize's Avatar
    Posts
    242 Posts
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    #70  
    Boomer,

    Since you've held it - describe the form factor - comparing it to existing models.
  10. sbradfor's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #71  
    Also, does it have more RAM than the Treo 700w? WiFi? What's the screen dpi?

    Any info is GREATLY appreciated!
  11. #72  
    I can only hope that a PalmOS version comes hot on the heels of the WM version. I can't go back to a 240x240 screen after using 320x320 or better for so long.
  12. #73  
    I too am curious about the screen resolution.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  13. #74  
    I would be sure its 240x240. We know Palm, they never do anything special.

    Surur
  14. #75  
    Meh ... bummer. Palm (and especially PIE) is nearly unusable at 240x240.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

    Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  15. #76  
    Wonder if it will have wi-fi.
  16. sbradfor's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmattyh
    Wonder if it will have wi-fi.
    I would hope so. Many other devices already do. This is one area the Treo really lags behind. Somehow though, I doubt it will.
  17. #78  
    All the "rumors" that are floating around says it has WiFi integrated. Let's hope they're correct.
  18. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDs10e
    I Believe! I Believe!!!
    Perry, is that you?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions