Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am puzzled... obv I don't know the details on the technology... but WHY can POS device be EVDO capable but a GSM device WON'T be UMTS capable... aren't these 3G technologies???

*i plead ignorance sure...

IF the WM5 has UMTS, omg, will have I have to really mull over my next upgrade... =(
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    i read someone else explain that palm os cant handle real multitasking and the 3g networks need devices to be able to do voice and data simultaneously
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    Intersting, Milkham...

From another thread - Surur pointed out that the current EVDO revision could only do high speed or voice - but not concurrently. UMTS, however, can support simultaneous operations.
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenke
    The Nitro photo does look suspicious, but I wholeheartedly believe the Lennon pic, as it's consistent with pics I've seen before--namely, that it's black.

This is definitely the device I'm getting.
    Why does the Lennon pic have a Palm OS "Menu" key on the bottom row??? The treo 700w doesn't have it. Makes me suspicious. I think that it is 'shopped. Perhaps even by Palm themselves as a design study.
    I had thought of that, however, it is a little too blurry to tell what, in fact, it is. My guess would be that Palm is not finished with either of these two models and there will be inconsistencies or mistakes until final productions are made (I remember people didn't believe the 700w because the pre-production models had button graphics missing).

Also, I'm swinging more toward the Nitro as we speak. Sure, it may not have UMTS, but my area doesn't even have EvDO yet, and will probably never have UMTS--however, it does have EDGE. And I like PoS just a little more.

Eh, it's GSM. I could always buy both and switch the SIM when I feel like it.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Does PoS mean Palm OS in your post above laurenke?

Eh, it's GSM. I could always buy both and switch the SIM when I feel like it.

This is why I switched from Sprint to Cingular; so I could switch phones whenever I wanted. If Sprint came out with R-UIM cards, I would consider coming back, but not until then.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor

Hmm probably means that or Piece of ****
    i used to think it meant Palm OS, but lately it seems Piece of $*** is actually case ($*** = expensive ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    Intersting, Milkham...

From another thread - Surur pointed out that the current EVDO revision could only do high speed or voice - but not concurrently. UMTS, however, can support simultaneous operations.
    Can...but does it have to? If FrankenGarnet can't support voice and data concurrently but can support them separately, and UMTS doesn't require them to be run concurrently, then I don't see why UMTS couldn't be made available on PalmOS..
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by ILLINI_treo
    i used to think it meant Palm OS, but lately it seems Piece of $*** is actually case ($*** = expensive ****)
    LMAO...so true
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor
    Yes! I've never liked that abbreviation, but I used it that one time to save some time. And darn if it I forgot to capitalize the "O!"

Don't get me wrong, though, I love the Palm OS.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Yes! I've never liked that abbreviation, but I used it that one time to save some time. And darn if it I forgot to capitalize the "O!"

Don't get me wrong, though, I love the Palm OS.
    Just wanted to make sure I understood your abbreviation. I'd seen others use it and thought it had to mean something besides the obvious.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    Last edited by sbradfor; 07/07/2006 at 09:40 AM.
    Now with all the issues arising with the 700...we have to watch are cases with the abbriviation now thanks to Palm and the carriers testing techniques.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Can I call photoshop on these?
    you can call photoshop anytime. 800-833-6687 - tell 'em I said "hi"!
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Any new news on the Nitro or Lennon?
    If I am not mistaken, I do believe that PalmOS 5+ is capable of handling multitasking, but it is pretty limited. I think that there is a limit of the number of threads, but I do know that it can do some. This is the reason that you can play a song in PocketTunes and browse the Internet.

Edit: Most handhelds cannot handle real multitasking, which requires two or more processors (true multitasking). Usually they do what is cooperative multitasking (I believe that is the term).

Being a Palm software developer there is an SDK that is a "native" sdk allowing developers to create 100% native ARM apps and it does have a multithreading example (I do believe). It is at: http://www.mobile-stream.com/devzone.html. I quote from the link: "Use the multi-threading capabilities of PalmOS."

I maybe mistaken, but I do believe that I am correct. If this is correct than it seems that it might be possible for UMTS on a PalmOS 5 Treo. Plus, FrakenGarnet is hacked, so how come Palm couldn't hack it further to support UMTS? The have Bluetooth 1.2 support in. That allows you to use two devices at the same time (I do believe).

I am not going to hold my breath for a UMTS Treo, but that would be cool.
    True multi-tasking doesn't not require multiple processors or processor cores. "True" multitasking is called pre-emptive multitasking and most modern OS (Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac OS X) have this capability. Cooperative multitasking is a band-aid for an OS like Palm OS that doesn't support pre-emptive.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Thanks for clarifying bcaslis.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast