Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc
    Hotbranch

FYI: the "Fender" of Fender Doc is from Fender Guitars
    I just hope that the Treo Lennon won't want to spend a week in bed...
    You may be correct in this, but I think that Motorola Q is a bit of monkey wrench in a low cost Treo. It already sells for $200, already has EVDO support, and arguably does most if not all of what a low-end user would need (contacts, calendar, internet). I would have to seriously wonder whether Verizon would have any interest in a lowrider with the Q already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    You can be pretty sure the Palm Nitro which will run palm OS is the Low rider and it will be available on all networks. It will be the replacement for the 650. The low cost treo.

I remember that palm was making the Palm (nitro/lowrider) as a low cost treo across all networks. Palm was supposedly creating this on their own initiative (without request by carriers) confident that it would be a success and carriers would adopt it. If this is the lowrider then expect sprint and verizon to replace the 650 with it in order to have a non EVDO version for the masses.

It's interesting to see cingular already committed to the lowrider. 2 new palm phones in the same month and same carrier will be a first.

Could we see both verizon and sprint carrying three treos by the end of the year? High end treo (700), wm 700w, low cost/consumer (nitro). That would be huge for palm. I think I would take the nitro over the evdo 700p for its form factor.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    If you can tell the thickness and weight from those pics you're much better at this than me

Agreed. One is Palm and the other PalmOne? That's pretty sloppy. Could be sloppy and real, could be sloppy and fake.
    Or they could be real sloppy...
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Happy to see light at the end of the tunnel for all of you GSM folks.
    at&t iPhone3G
    So it looks like this pic was real

http://gadgetsonthego.net/2006/06/treo-lennon.html
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fender Doc
    Do we need to worry about the Treo Yoko interfering with the Treo Lennon or causing Palm to break-up (again)?

I must ask the questions, "Is Paul (I mean Palm) dead?"
    Bingo!I think you nailed it .A good Yoko is just what Lennon will need To escape from Profit McPalm
    Why on earth are they removing the handle? TT5 with no VR! Treo650 with 32MB! TC with mono audio! TW with OS4!

Now this. Palm is so cheap that now they remove the handle. How else are we supposed to get them outta the belt pouch?
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    You may be correct in this, but I think that Motorola Q is a bit of monkey wrench in a low cost Treo. It already sells for $200, already has EVDO support, and arguably does most if not all of what a low-end user would need (contacts, calendar, internet). I would have to seriously wonder whether Verizon would have any interest in a lowrider with the Q already in place.
    I personally think the Q has an identity problem. I have seen motorola tout it as the ultimate business device, then also the perfect consumer device. Low cost with EVDO radio? doesn't make much sense. If you've got someone struggling to pay $150-200 for a phone, they are not going to want to pay for EVDO service. If not then EVDO radio is extra cost.

The treo may be $200 prior to rebates.

But your point is well taken. I'd like to think the Palm OS would differentiate it enough. Simplicity and ease of use is key for the mass market.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Am I the only one that likes having a short, stubby, antenna? I don't like how they look w/o them. They look like BBs.

I think you are...j/p. If the Nitro is just a repackaged 650 that will be a low-end treo, it is not worth it to "upgrade" from my 650 just for form factor. I am never going to go to the darkside (windows mobile), so the Lennon is out. I like the ease of use with pos, but would like to multitask, but you can't have everything. The new treos do look like the BB 8700 which isn't that bad though, in my opinion.
    I agree with you on the identity problem. The Q comes across much more as a consumer product to me. But I agree with the data price issue. Although on Verizon, I don't think there is any difference in the data price for EVDO or non-EVDO. So a non-EVDO device doesn't save you anything on the monthly bill.

I have to wonder if most people really understand ease of use. I think the favorites in the Treo phone app are a huge strength compared to most phones. I don't know why anyone hasn't copied it yet. But lots of non-techies can't seem to understand this. I've showed this to some people and they still seem to prefer to type the number in instead of using features like this.

I think any "low-end" Treo is going to be stuck with slugging it out on price. Even basic phones like the EVDO RAZR are touting lots of multimedia apps that the Palm based Treos don't have on these networks. If it lacks high-end features and flashy multimedia features, the only space left is to slug it out on price.

Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    I personally think the Q has an identity problem. I have seen motorola tout it as the ultimate business device, then also the perfect consumer device. Low cost with EVDO radio? doesn't make much sense. If you've got someone struggling to pay $150-200 for a phone, they are not going to want to pay for EVDO service. If not then EVDO radio is extra cost.

The treo may be $200 prior to rebates.

But your point is well taken. I'd like to think the Palm OS would differentiate it enough. Simplicity and ease of use is key for the mass market.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Is it me or does this seem kinda old? I thought Palm stopped using the PalmOne and I haven't seen that name used in a while.
    So, If I read all this correctly the new treos are either a re-hashed 650 that won't do wifi or 3g but does run the Palm os or the MW version that DOES run wifi and UMTS/HSDPA. For those of us that need to use Macs, that's not much of a choice. Why dosen't Palm just come out and say that they no longer support Mac users? If not for the missing sync this would have been done and over with years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by luria
    Why dosen't Palm just come out and say that they no longer support Mac users?
    Obviously so they don't scare away all the Mac users!
    Palm has no reason to roll out NEW phones after just launching the 700p and 700w. That's a bit mean toward the CDMA carriers who were gauranteed exclusive rights to the P and W. Sure they got it, but a plan was released concurrently for even better devices. I'm willing to bet anything that this is either old and was never followed through on, or it's a ploy by Cingular to make sure their customers don't jump ship.

Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    Where's Jack?
    Working

I got lucky with my "April 15 - May 15 700p formal announcement relase within 45 days" prediction.

Still holding to August 25 - September 25 formal US announcement, same 45 release window but now getting afraid if they gonna blow it up like they did Windows Mobile and announce way ahead of time.

BTW, 1st 4 threads in this section all on same topic
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    But, that is really only 2 new phones not the 4 that was predicted. Unless you are going to claim that diferent OS means different phone, which I guess technically it could be. I look at it more like a vehicle, just because it comes with a 4 or 6 cyl does not mean it is a different car, just different options.
    700p and 700w took the 1st two spots....Lennon and Nitro just taking the place of old codenames Hollywood and Lowrider
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    The Lowrider was supposed to be entry-level, around $200. The 700p is $400. The Hollywood was supposed to be a slim model launching first in Europe, while the 700w is a standard sized device already available in the US on CDMA, and apparently launching first in the US on GSM. Need I go on?
    The Treo 700p to my recollection has an MSRP of $679...and can be had depending upon who wants to subsidize your purchase for as low as $359. When I first saw leaks of what the Motorola Q was going to be, the first thing that popped into my head was "Moto's doing a Palm Lowrider". I'll bet the MSRP of the Lennon is significantly above $679...maybe even $799 or more.

The Hollwood was assumed to be a slimmer version which it does appear to be but the quoted and emphasized difference was that it would be antenna-less. The 700w is what it was always expected to be since the September 05 announcement.

All that appears to have "changed" is:

700w - 1st quarter
    700p - 2nd quarter
    Hollywood - 3 quarter
    Lowrider - 3rd quarter

to

700w - 1st quarter
    700p - 2nd quarter
    Lennon - 3 quarter
    Nitro - 3rd quarter

The only thing I am wondering about is whetehr Palm's gonna rock the world with an HSDPA 3.6 phone or build themselves an easy upgrade path by releasing a 1.8
    Quote Originally Posted by stn415
    I think you are...j/p. If the Nitro is just a repackaged 650 that will be a low-end treo, it is not worth it to "upgrade" from my 650 just for form factor. I am never going to go to the darkside (windows mobile), so the Lennon is out. I like the ease of use with pos, but would like to multitask, but you can't have everything. The new treos do look like the BB 8700 which isn't that bad though, in my opinion.
    At $45 a month Verizon can well afford to subsidize the cost of the EVDO radio. Ink cartridge syndrome ... PC Ragazine print ownership cost comparisions typically show that for example HP's $1200 printer was the cheapest one to own after 3 years....despite all the Canon's, Epsons and HP's at $149.....the small, expensive cartridges can soon eat that "investment" up.
    shame they arent based on the treo 650 design which looks so much nicer than thr 700
    Dammit! I just ordered Treo 650!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast