1.    #1  
    I got this email about paypal. I researched on it and i heard it was a scam. I was scared when i discover that because i enter my password already.

Here is the email:

"""Quarterly Statement Notice

Dear (they said my full name but don't wanna reveal it =P),

You are receiving this notification because PayPal is required by law to notify you at least quarterly of the availability of your online account statement.

The account statement for your PayPal account registered to (they entered my email) can be viewed at any time by visiting our website at https://www.paypal.com/. Once you log in, click on the History sub tab of your Account Overview page to see your most recent statement.

If you need help logging into your account, click the Help link which is at the upper right hand side of the PayPal website. To report errors in your statement or make inquiries, click the Contact Us link in the footer on any page of the PayPal website, call our Customer Service center at (402) 938-3630, or write us at:

PayPal, Inc.
    P.O. Box 45950
    Omaha, NE 68145

Sincerely,

PayPal """""""

Well i changed my pass. & sercuity answers real quick then i decided to close my account.

This is the email i got from closing my account.

""service@paypal.com to me

Dear ( my name dont wanna reveal for reasons =P),

We are sorry that you have decided to close your PayPal account. With millions of members in dozens of countries and regions across the globe, PayPal is continually improving and expanding its award-winning services.

PayPal is the world's leading online money transaction service for individuals, businesses and merchants. From customized shopping carts and ATM debit cards to one-click purchases and a leading high-yield Money Market Fund, PayPal offers individual and business solutions that are time-saving, secure, cost-effective and easy-to-use.

Should you decide you want to have a PayPal account again in the future, visit https://www.paypal.com and follow the few easy steps to open a new account.

If you did not authorize your account to be closed, please report this email to us at
    https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...md=_contact_us

Sincerely,

The PayPal Team

PayPal Email ID PP528"""

Is that the real paypal? I heard that /us is phising. I'm scared now...help!?!

I'm hoping I entered the right website to close my account.
    Last edited by babycool123; 06/26/2006 at 07:54 PM.
    I'd assume that the second letter is the actual PayPal account, since you said you closed your account. That happened to me on Yahoo. I was able to change my password in time. My friend wasn't that lucky. If you were able to change it, you should be in the clear, although I don't know how PayPal works in that regard.
    Quote Originally Posted by babycool123
    I got this email about paypal. I researched on it and i heard it was a scam. I was scared when i discover that because i enter my password already.
    I don't have the emails I've gotten from them to compare but I've gotten one of those every quarter since 2002, when I first started with them. I don't ever use their links but they do send out quarterly emails. FWIW, I haven't run into any problems. But better safe than sorry, right?
    Sprint 650 --> Sprint 700p
    Agendus Pro/Mail, BackupMan, Diddlebug, Dir Asst, GroupTextMessaging, HandyShopper, LightwavPro, LudusP, MobileClock, palmPDF, PDANet, pTunes, Splash ID/Shopper, TCPMP, volumeCare, ZLauncher
  4.    #4  
    Ok, i'm feeling a bit more secure. Is anybody sure that the 2nd email is the real paypal?
    I treat any email from PayPal, eBay, banks etc as Spam. I read the mails, but delete them immediately...

AND I never follow a link in any of those mails.

I also DON'T do anything they ask me to do...

To the OPer: You could try logging-in again and see if your account is really closed.
    If you went to https://www.paypal.com in your browser (not clicked on a link in an email) you almost certainly went to the correct site.
  7.    #7  
    But i did click on that link on the email (when i first saw the email i clicked that paypal link and entered my pass. I think i went to another paypal link when i closed it.

I logged in and it said Your sign in information is not valid so that mean it's deleted?
    I'd try to get in contact with paypal. That could mean the account's gone, or that the password was invalid. Watch your accounts that're linked to it also.
    What appears in the email is not necessarily the same as the link that you are taken to. You can usually see the actual link appear in the bar at the bottom left of the window when you mouse over apparent email link. In this case, the links seem to be legit. If there is ever a doubt, do not use the link in the email but navigate to the site in question yourself using your favorites, etc. I imagine that both these emails are from paypal and since you closed your account, you shouldn't have any concerns. I assume that when you closed your account, you navigated to paypal using your own favorites, or past paypal links. Anyway, if you are still concerned, then as GreenHex says, go to your known link for paypal and see if you are able to log in.
  10.    #10  
    I feel much better guys (because i've been stressing this for days) thank you so much.

But does anyone have a closed paypal account and tried logging in and it said password is invalid? That mean it's closed right? (because i access my account before w/ the changed password and everything before and after i closed it and enter my pass. is said it's invalid.) Just wondering....

and does anybody know what the /us mean? (on my 2nd email)

ok now i'm starting worrying again....well to make sure my pass was really close i clicked forgot pass? then i entered those numbers like "(VD345) well i just clicked i no longer have access to this email ( i still do but i was checkin) and it said list social security number and city of birth but i remember the last time i entered my pass those weren't my questions. I'm so confused.
    Last edited by babycool123; 06/26/2006 at 11:36 PM.
    does anybody know what the /us mean? (on my 2nd email)
    When I enter through MyeBay and Paypal links to view my history, I get the same /us/... subsite. I suspect they just separate member data into general geographic areas such as us, etc.
    I feel much better guys (because i've been stressing this for days) thank you so much.

But does anyone have a closed paypal account and tried logging in and it said password is invalid? That mean it's closed right? (because i access my account before w/ the changed password and everything before and after i closed it and enter my pass. is said it's invalid.) Just wondering....

and does anybody know what the /us mean? (on my 2nd email)

ok now i'm starting worrying again....well to make sure my pass was really close i clicked forgot pass? then i entered those numbers like "(VD345) well i just clicked i no longer have access to this email ( i still do but i was checkin) and it said list social security number and city of birth but i remember the last time i entered my pass those weren't my questions. I'm so confused.

I hope you did NOT enter your ss# and city of birth. Those are most definitely phishing questions preparing for identity theft.
    I had/have a Paypal acct. which I have not used for several months. A few weeks ago I received an email indicating that my credit card information was not up to date and referring me to a link to up date. As my information has not changed, including my card expiration date, I did not respond. The circumstances seemed too suspicious. I guess I will contact Paypal customer service directly to confirm whether or not my account is in need of up dating before providing any info.
    Legalbeagle
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mesplin@earthli
    I had/have a Paypal acct. which I have not used for several months. A few weeks ago I received an email indicating that my credit card information was not up to date and referring me to a link to up date. As my information has not changed, including my card expiration date, I did not respond. The circumstances seemed too suspicious. I guess I will contact Paypal customer service directly to confirm whether or not my account is in need of up dating before providing any info.
    Just forward the entire suspcious letter to sppof at paypal dot com.

They NEVER send out emails with links in them telling you to click here to update your account information. They always tell you to log into the site directy. Anyway, in an email, all you have to do is hover your mouse over a link and your email reader's status bar (assuming you have one) will show you where that link goes and it'll probably be to some phishing site trying to harvest information and steal accounts.

They also never address emails to a generic name like "Dear PayPal Customer" and neither does eBay. If you don't see your real name in such an email, you can be assured it's a spoof.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    I hope you did NOT enter your ss# and city of birth. Those are most definitely phishing questions preparing for identity theft.
    well i emailed them and they said my accounts are closed. But they said to me those are random information ( entered the real paypal.com that's what i typed) I entered random mubers for social security anyways. And i got the message it was "invalid"

Here is the email i got

Dear (my name),

Thank you for contacting PayPal. My name is Mike, and I am happy to assist
    you further.

The accounts from the email address you contacted us at are closed. When
    you click the No Longer Have Access To Email, it just randomly creates
    information.

Your PayPal account has been closed. You may open a new account at your
    earliest convenience, if you have not already done so.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,
    Mike
    PayPal Community Support
    PayPal, an eBay Company

Original Message Follows:
    ------------------------
    Form Message
    customer subject: My accounts are close but security questions diff.
    customer message: Additional Information: 'I recently got an email that
    both of my accounts were closed.

Well I checked to see if my account is closed. So I clicked the "forgot
    pass" button. Enter those numbers and letters ( ex. FH56Jl) I pressed the
    "i no longer have access to this email." Both the security questions were
    different before I decided to close my account. How's that? I remember my
    security questions were my driver license and my social security. The two
    questions displayed were city of birth and social security. I just find
    that odd. And did I removed my visa card on my first account or there
    aren't any cards on my accounts? Sorry for all the questions. I just worry
    alot.

Thank you in advance.'
    Just yesterday alone 6/27/2006, I received more than 5 emails from "services@paypal.com" to "update your account". The email reads, "Dear PayPal Member, it has come to our attention that your PayPal Billing information records are out of date." ..."Click here to activate your account"... Yeah, right!! NOT!!

I consider 5+ emails from the same source on the same day to be an act of spamming. I had already closed my account a year ago, because of my concern for internet scamming. There is no way I'm going to activate my PayPal account again.

The only one time I opened the account was because I absolutely had to in order to purchase a Palm program, and the author said it was the only way. From now on, if an author absolutely requires PayPal payment as the only method, screw it, I'm not going to buy the program. If they don't take Visa/MasterCard, then I'm looking for an alternative solution.

Anyway, I will be blocking all emails from PayPal, and anyone claiming to be from PayPal, because it's peeving me to get all this junk mail.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    I get about 20-30 of these emails a day! I now have my email set to auto-forward them directly to spoof@paypal.com so they can review & hopefully someday put these bastards away.