1.    #1  
    I was reading this blog: http://stockoperator.livejournal.com/ (which I found on Yahoo PALM stock blog)

This guy/girl seems to think a merger is coming next week.

Thoughts?
    I don't think so..just talk.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
  3.    #3  
    It might be just talk, but it's pretty convincing talk... What reasons do you see for this not to happen?
    I'll believe it when I see it as I highly doubt it. Considering how RIM has for the longest time doing everything in their power to stub themselves in the foot and refuse to acknowledge that they are not innovating anymore (when was the last time anything new and innovative came out from RIM?) but instead decide to waste their time and money fighting a patent litigation suit that gave them nothing but bad publicity. And they're now fighting yet another litigation.

And how everytime I watch someone from RIM being interviewed that they are obviously in some "nowhere" land thinking that there is no competition and looking through their rose colored glasses that everything is just fine and that they'll survive is just kidding themselves.

It may happen, but I doubt it, although it sounds nice. Of course, I have been wrong before.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    This is definitely just talk...I will believe it when I see it. IMO, its far fetched.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I think it's just talk because RIM is heavily entrenched in their OS and brand. They have been dedicated to a device that does what it does, and I think it would be heresy in their corporate culture to take on a different approach. Palm is definitely different; the devices are autonomous, do lots of things other than just e-mail as their central point, and the reliance is on third party vendors for the extra bells and whistles, a sort of palm economy if you will.

With Blackberry, it's ALL about RIM. The Blackberry devices don't work without going through RIM's e-mail and proxy servers, both for e-mail and web access. There is exactly one e-mail solution that works best on a Blackberry, with everything else just being a kludge. And, most of the solutions are RIM-handled or done with RIM's blessing; the third aprty development for Blackberry is way, way lower.

This is a company that fought to the bitter end against a patent dispute when they could've settled early on for far less money. Even in the end, they only settled because they saw large workgroups moving away from Blackberry for fear of losing their ability to keep in communication. They are pig-headed, and that's one of the reasons why I got out of using a blackberry while I still could.

A union between Palm and Blackberry would be a bad decision, and the worst possible thing that could happen to the Palm community and its userbase. If RIM is gunning for Palm, I can only see them doing it to kill the brand.

Then again, I said the exact same thing about the Sprint Nextel merger. And look what happened anyway. (Though, I STILL beleive the merger was a bad idea.)
    Sorry Mace but when was that last time you saw anything innovative from Palm? C'mon, don't try to let Palm off the hook. The fact is they haven't given anything innovative since the 600. And moreover, have you seen/used the Bberry 8700c? It is in my opinion, and I am a palm user for at least 7-9 years, the best smartphone out there. Ok, so it doesn't take pics, but it works email and outlook better than any of the treo's, again, unfortunately. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by maceyr
    I'll believe it when I see it as I highly doubt it. Considering how RIM has for the longest time doing everything in their power to stub themselves in the foot and refuse to acknowledge that they are not innovating anymore (when was the last time anything new and innovative came out from RIM?) but instead decide to waste their time and money fighting a patent litigation suit that gave them nothing but bad publicity. And they're now fighting yet another litigation.

And how everytime I watch someone from RIM being interviewed that they are obviously in some "nowhere" land thinking that there is no competition and looking through their rose colored glasses that everything is just fine and that they'll survive is just kidding themselves.

It may happen, but I doubt it, although it sounds nice. Of course, I have been wrong before.
  8.    #8  
    Palm addict is talking about it. I hope it's true.. The Handspring will end up running RIMM, just like when they were bought by PALM!!

http://palmaddict.typepad.com/palmad..._rim_to_1.html
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Brandorr, is that a 959 in your avatar?
  10.    #10  
    Yep!! Best car ever made!!
    As the time passes by and nothing, it's looks like another rumor that got a lot of attention.

As for the comment on RIM, obviously my opinion is very much a personal one. No, I haven't tried a RIM blackberry so I really can't comment.

But, keep in mind that yesterday I watched ROBTv (Report on Business television in Canada) on the program Squeeze Play, Amanda Lang (the host) has mentioned that she was considering upgrading her old and outdated Blackberry and the salesperson told her to get something else like the Motorola Q.

To her and myself, that sounds very bad if the salespeople aren't going to push the latest and greatest Blackberry like the 8700c. Again, just my opinion.
    Last edited by maceyr; 06/29/2006 at 07:31 PM.
    Flash demos, reviews of PDA and smartphone apps and contests at Palm Discovery . How to do Palm resets. T/T2/T3/Treo screws
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    brandorr, so tell me, are you the hedge fund manager that made $18-$19 million dollars by spreading this bogus rumor?
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    curious silence....
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    curious silence....

Anyone who think this merger was going to happen without JPMorgan etal knowing about it before hand should PM me for a quote on the Brooklyn Bridge.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    curious silence....
    EXACTLY.

The noise surrounding the release of a new GSM Treo has faded also. I don't know if it is eminent or not, but most of this noise seems to have been Brandorr quoting himself under the name stockoperator - then admitting openly that he is stockoperator. Not too smart.
    He was just using the certain coming of the GSM Treo to give himself some credibility by association e.g. I predict a traffic jam tomorrow, and I also predict the stock will rise.

Anyway, the GSM Treo has been confirmed my Ed Colligan in the earnings conference call from yesterday, so its definitely coming, but not before at least August.

Surur
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    He was just using the certain coming of the GSM Treo to give himself some credibility by association e.g. I predict a traffic jam tomorrow, and I also predict the stock will rise.

Anyway, the GSM Treo has been confirmed my Ed Colligan in the earnings conference call from yesterday, so its definitely coming, but not before at least August.

Surur
    Surur -

You have stated your position many times openly here, which is commendable. Brandorr's method leaves something to be desired. It makes one wonder what ulterior motives he has. I think vw2002 accurately called him out.