1.    #1  
    I have the opportunity to switch from my 700w to a used 650. These are company supplied phones. I have used Palm Powered Devices before but never a Treo before the 700w. I mostly use the phone to sync over-the-air with the exchange server for email, contacts, calander, etc. I also use it to surf the web and run my mini xm, google, gmail, etc. Does anyone have any input for me? Pros? Cons? I would appreciate a little advice from someone who has used both devices. Thanks!

wjones
    I suppose if you are syncing with an Exchange server then a WM5(?) device is a good fit for you. The rest of the stuff is just fluff. Any device with a network connection could do the rest. Personally, I hate anything branded Microsoft. Some brilliant software engineers couldn't figure out how to parse a hex string into coherent data, so every time a critical error occurs, it prints the error in hex. I have, however, seen many applications for Windows devices which I could only wish I had... it all comes down to your priorities. By the way, which company is this...I might have to find a new job ...make sure they have my Treo ready :P

Compare the reviews:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1758725,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911101,00.asp

T
    he most usable one-handed Pocket PC, the Palm Treo 700w, will be welcome in Microsoft-dominated workplaces looking for an e-mail-oriented phone that works with the latest Exchange servers. We can't recommend it as enthusiastically for individual consumers, because it isn't quite as easy to use as the Treo 650 and doesn't take advantage of all the power the Windows Mobile platform has to offer. The Treo 700w is a slightly uncomfortable compromise, but one you can accept cheerfully if your IT department chooses it for you.

The 65MB of available storage memory offers enough room for programs, but the 11MB of available program memory is much too small. We got frequent "out of memory" errors and had to go an extra step to close programs. The low memory may also explain why our Treo 700w crashed several times, requiring resets.

The 240-by-240 screen is just a bad idea. Palm told us it's working with software companies to make sure that Pocket PC programs, which are written mostly for 320-by-240 screens, work on the square screen. But we had one error message run off the screen when we were testing. The screen has 25 percent less space than standard 320-by-240 Pocket PCs and 44 percent less than the 320-by-320 Treo 650. There's no upside to that

You can compare the Treo 700w against its predecessor, the 650, or against other Windows Mobile handhelds. The Palm OS used in the Treo 650 still requires fewer taps and clicks than Windows Mobile, uses less battery power in PDA mode, and feels zippier with the 312-MHz processor.

Windows Mobile's strengths are in the integration with Microsoft workplaces and in high-end features like video playback, Wi-Fi/cellular convergence, high-res screens, powerful processors, and glamorous games. But the Treo 700w's 240-by-240 screen consigns videos to a cramped window (or to having their sides clipped off); there's no Wi-Fi (though EV-DO is nice); and the processor isn't all that fast.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    650 won't do miniXM, i don't think...
  5.    #5  
    Well, I will be sticking with my w for a while. Thanks for all the input.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wjones
    I have the opportunity to switch from my 700w to a used 650. These are company supplied phones. I have used Palm Powered Devices before but never a Treo before the 700w. I mostly use the phone to sync over-the-air with the exchange server for email, contacts, calander, etc. I also use it to surf the web and run my mini xm, google, gmail, etc. Does anyone have any input for me? Pros? Cons? I would appreciate a little advice from someone who has used both devices. Thanks!

wjones
    I don't have a 700w, but I can tell you what the 650 offers that may address your needs. On the 650, versamail supports most popular email protocols including exchange and gmail. You can get goodlink if you want push mail. The 650 has contacts, calender, and other basic pda programs. There's pocket tunes for streaming shoutcast stream, but I don't know if it supports xm streams. There's talk of setting up your own xm feed to pocket tunes.

I hope that helps.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info naivete, but I am going to stick with the w. I already have it setup the way I want (and still playing with it and adding more everyday). I also did get the 650 setup with the exchange email, because I don't want to put Goodlink on my servers. As far as the rest of it, I suppose I could switch, but I would rather wait to get the 700p if I am going to switch from the w to a palm os phone.