1.    #1  
    I know the pda/smartphones are relatively new to the market, but I was wondering if anyone knew when the cpu speed would match those of laptops or better yet....desktop computers?
    i'm not sure.
    Just call me Berd.
    I don't know either. Maybe Thanksgiving?
    I highly doubt the speeds of a PDA smartphone will ever catch up to laptops or desktops....mobile devices don't need that much power, and by the time they're as fast as computers are now, computers will be hundreds of times more powerful.

Any reason why you'd need so much power in a PDA/smartphone?
    My Treo 650 is faster than my old laptop now. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  6.    #6  
    Tonylmiller, I have to confess also and your right, but now that I look around the house, I see that my pda is faster than the desktop computer in the kids room.

Trevante, As far as power, I was wondering if it would make mobitv look better without all the "herky jerky" movement. (faster frames)
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaughanusm81
    Trevante, As far as power, I was wondering if it would make mobitv look better without all the "herky jerky" movement. (faster frames)
    That's probably a problem with mobiTV, or maybe you don't have enough bandwidth. I think it would be a CPU problem if people were getting the same jerkiness with TCMP and other media players when playing a file locally (from the SD card for example). I don't think having a faster CPU will make a huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaughanusm81
    I know the pda/smartphones are relatively new to the market, but I was wondering if anyone knew when the cpu speed would match those of laptops or better yet....desktop computers?

They do. I built a firewall on a PII 266MHz slot processor... I've seen iPaq's run nearly double that speed. XScale devices are awesome, aren't they?

Edit:

And laptops do run faster than desktops. My laptop has a 3.4GHz P4, 2048MB PC-3200 (that's 400MHz right?), and a 400/350 MHz graphics card. Which kills some of the desktops I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    And laptops do run faster than desktops. My laptop has a 3.4GHz P4, 2048MB PC-3200 (that's 400MHz right?), and a 400/350 MHz graphics card. Which kills some of the desktops I've seen
    But why not all?

I'm not saying that desktops will always be faster than laptops, but generally speaking, the fastest desktop will generally be faster than the fastest laptop. Desktops are easier to upgrade, cheaper to upgrade and build, and having more room available definately makes it easier to cram more speed and power into a desktop system than laptop
    Efficiency should not be confused with speed. I was close to ordering a laptop with an AMD Turion ML44 (2.4GHz), 2GB dual channel 400MHz RAM, and an nVidia 7900GTX (SLi enabled). Not the most efficient laptop out there, but definitely more power than any Desktop for the same price...