1.    #1  
    With steroids and human growth hormone scandals surrounding it, Major League Baseball (MLB) has gone into a desperation mode where it tries to find dignity in the strangest of places. On Tuesday, for example, MLB and Hall of Fame officials were on hand in Chicago to celebrate - get this - the use of a cellphone.

For the first time ever, a Chicago Cubs coach used a mobile to call from the dugout to the bullpen to get a relief pitcher stirring. The use of a cell phone replaces a decades long tradition of lifting up a bulky landline receiver to make the bullpen call.
    Now for the real question ....why wasn't he using a Treo where he could keep his scores and stats too ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Now for the real question ....why wasn't he using a Treo where he could keep his scores and stats too ?
    Woah, there, big guy!

Baseball doesn't want to progress too quickly. Being 2 decades behind the times seems just about right for any group that chooses Bud Selig as its leader.

Next you'll be wondering why they don't beam the starting lineups to the ref using IR.
    I couldn't think of a more useless application for a mobile phone. That situation is made for landline phones (both parties know exactly where the other is at the exact moment they need to communicate).
  4.    #4  
    The Yankees tap the visitor's phone lines .....

Manager - Get your **** in there

Relief Pitcher - You sure, my curve just isn't there today

Manager - just thro fastballs then

Torre - He's throwin fast balls guys
    The Yankees tap the visitor's phone lines .....

Manager - Get your **** in there

Relief Pitcher - You sure, my curve just isn't there today

Manager - just thro fastballs then

Torre - He's throwin fast balls guys
    Exactly...I'm a Yanks fan.

Seriously, I bet the calls on the mobile phone could be tapped as well. It wopuldn't take too much to eavesdrop on the call to the pen.

Other than to generate ad money from a cell phone manufacturer or wireless provider, I can't see much value there over using a landline.
  6.    #6  
    Well it woulkd save pitchers like Terry Forsht (sp?) who Letterman once called a "fat tub of goo" from wearing themselves out walking over to the phone
    They could text the GPS coordinates of the mound and home plate to the pitcher, then tell him to navigate to location 1 and upon arrival throw a baseball to location 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch
    Woah, there, big guy!

Baseball doesn't want to progress too quickly. Being 2 decades behind the times seems just about right for any group that chooses Bud Selig as its leader.

Next you'll be wondering why they don't beam the starting lineups to the ref using IR.
    Ref? You mean Umpire? I'll let it slide though because it's America's past time. j/k
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 80'sbaby
    Ref? You mean Umpire?
    Should just use the generic "da fat guy on the field" moniker
    Should just use the generic "da fat guy on the field" moniker
    I try to avoid talking about David Wells.

And yes, I should have said ump. I was still coming down from the Stanley Cup Finals. The Expos are gone but never forgotten.
  11.    #11