Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The amount of time we wait between models is ridiculous.
    So is the lack of any solid new model infor or dates.
    Thats bogus.
    Its VHS vs. Betamax again. Beta was easier, and better
    But VHS was cheaper & everywhere.

I want to buy a phone / PDA

If nothing appears within a month, I will jump ship.

To what, I don't know. Single device, 2? dunno.

But I want (not need) a faster device, a better camera, a smaller function, and WIFI.
    Being stuck like that sucks.
    I actually don't mind the wait between releases to an extent. The extent being...I have enough time to soak into my device and get full use out of it, and beat the hell out of it until I get a new one. If they released something new every six months, it would be rediculous. Kids living at home with no resposabilities would love to shell 600 bucks or more every six months...not me. If I have a 700 dallar device, I want to use it for a while...enough for me to take advantage of my discounts at the end of a year or two with my cellular provider. I also think it is smart for business solutions to not upgrade so much...businesses will order loads of devices and use them for a while. I also do understand Palm is a dallar short and a day late on what we should have comming to us as customers.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I actually don't mind the wait between releases to an extent. The extent being...I have enough time to soak into my device and get full use out of it, and beat the hell out of it until I get a new one. If they released something new every six months, it would be rediculous. Kids living at home with no resposabilities would love to shell 600 bucks or more every six months...not me. If I have a 700 dallar device, I want to use it for a while...enough for me to take advantage of my discounts at the end of a year or two with my cellular provider. I also think it is smart for business solutions to not upgrade so much...businesses will order loads of devices and use them for a while. I also do understand Palm is a dallar short and a day late on what we should have comming to us as customers.
    I like to get every last dollar out of my Palm too. That being said, when they take 18 months to develop something new, it should be more than a few upgrades to the same old devise. Darn them all to heck.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I like to get every last dollar out of my Palm too. That being said, when they take 18 months to develop something new, it should be more than a few upgrades to the same old devise. Darn them all to heck.
    That is why we have to rally together and render Palm powerless. They got us, and they know it. Look how we have acted on this forum in anticipation of the 700p...knowing what the upgrade details were and yet we longed for it day by day post by post while Palm, Sprint, and Verizon checked in on the forums and said suckers...nothing but suckers...ka-ching. wifi has to be available on the next treo along with ALP which is what I think Palm is waiting for due to the possible fact FrankenGarnett has issues with wifi.
    at&t iPhone3G
    That is why we have to rally together and render Palm powerless. They got us, and they know it. Look how we have acted on this forum in anticipation of the 700p...knowing what the upgrade details were and yet we longed for it day by day post by post while Palm, Sprint, and Verizon checked in on the forums and said suckers...nothing but suckers...ka-ching. wifi has to be available on the next treo along with ALP which is what I think Palm is waiting for due to the possible fact FrankenGarnett has issues with wifi.
    Amen!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I actually don't mind the wait between releases to an extent. The extent being...I have enough time to soak into my device and get full use out of it, and beat the hell out of it until I get a new one. If they released something new every six months, it would be rediculous. Kids living at home with no resposabilities would love to shell 600 bucks or more every six months...not me. If I have a 700 dallar device, I want to use it for a while...enough for me to take advantage of my discounts at the end of a year or two with my cellular provider. I also think it is smart for business solutions to not upgrade so much...businesses will order loads of devices and use them for a while. I also do understand Palm is a dollar short and a day late on what we should have comming to us as customers.
    I agree with your comments. Most consumers whether private or business do not like upgrading every 6 months not unless it's necessary to meet their individual requirements. The one reason as you pointed out is due to the cost of smartphones which even with a 3 year term carrier contract can still be costly. Though as you also pointed out consumers want more out of their manufacturer so called new devices. Providing increased memory with improved camera resolution is great but simply providing an OS update instead of significant improvements (ie: Treo 650 PalmOS Garnet 5.4.8 to Treo 700P PalmOS Garnet 5.4.9 and still no Bluetooth voice activated dialing) isn't going to impress intelligent shoppers. After all most consumers of smartphones are tech savy and will compare what their current manufacturer has to offer with what competitors have to offer. If for the same price or even less they can get more in a competitors product then there's little keeping them from switching.
    Palm is still the 800 pound gorilla .... it's bad marketing strategy to do the "announce specs 6 months in advance" policy so that your competitors can get a cheap knockoff out the door first.

[putting tongue in cheek]

They don't wanna be like MS and say, hey we gonna have this new OS out in 2004 and it will have all this great stuff..... well we ain't gonna give ya WinFX ... and we ain't gonna be 2004 but 2005 ... and we ain't gonna give you all that other cool stuff you were excited about .... and we ain't gonna be out in 2006 either .... but we do have really cool graphics which your computer won't be able to run and we do have some cool security features (which you will likely turn off) and BTW, we ain't gonna be out till 2007.

[Putting tongie further in cheek]

Still lotsa complaints about why can't we have a Palm Hermes ... but w/o the slide out KB .... and not so big please ....and better one handed functionality .... yeah give us:

All the stuff Hermes got but it's gotta have ....
    Palm simple one handed operation .....
    And fit it in a box thge size of the Q

[now tongie reaching for exit thru ear]

And lets not forget the increased efficiency argument .... if I get a new Treo every six months I could increase my work efficiency and save my employer $5,000 a year ... of course the times wasted on the company dime loading the apps, customizing, trying out 5 different vendors offering for the same app, troubleshooting, looking for answers via the web and complaining "where is the next treo" on TC costs the employer $24,000 a year but let's not talk about that ..

Oh yeah .... I have been evaluating a new Dual Core 2.16 GHz 2MB cache, Pentium M laptop ....2 Gig of RAM, 100 Gig 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive, TV Tuner w/ remote control, Dual Layer DVD Writer, astounding 17" 1920 x 1200 sharp aquos like screen, 256 MB GeForce2Go 7900 chipset, 1.3 MP camera, 7-1 card reader, gigabit lan 802.11a/b/g wireless, V90 fax modem, stereo speakers w/ subwoofer, firewire, 6 USB, 8 channel audio / video output, bluetooth and I can't rememebr what else. Thing trounces my son's gaming box (512 MB 6800 GTX) by a factor of 4 on 3D mark .... pretty impressive but it don't fit in my front pocket.....and it's kinda light for Windows Vista BTW ...... If Palm can't match these specs in Treo by August, I'm jumping ship.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    What I cant understand is why a company like HTC would not make a treo like device in form factor. I personally think they would crush Palm in terms of getting the device to market on a global basis, and with in a reasonable time frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross
    What I cant understand is why a company like HTC would not make a treo like device in form factor. I personally think they would crush Palm in terms of getting the device to market on a global basis, and with in a reasonable time frame.
    I had heard ... IIRC .... that Palm was at one time negotiating with HTC to make their Treos.....maybe they were ... maybe it was a way to stop HTC from stepping on their roses.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Palm is still the 800 pound gorilla .... it's bad marketing strategy to do the "announce specs 6 months in advance" policy so that your competitors can get a cheap knockoff out the door first.

[putting tongue in cheek]

They don't wanna be like MS and say, hey we gonna have this new OS out in 2004 and it will have all this great stuff..... well we ain't gonna give ya WinFX ... and we ain't gonna be 2004 but 2005 ... and we ain't gonna give you all that other cool stuff you were excited about .... and we ain't gonna be out in 2006 either .... but we do have really cool graphics which your computer won't be able to run and we do have some cool security features (which you will likely turn off) and BTW, we ain't gonna be out till 2007.

[Putting tongie further in cheek]

Still lotsa complaints about why can't we have a Palm Hermes ... but w/o the slide out KB .... and not so big please ....and better one handed functionality .... yeah give us:

All the stuff Hermes got but it's gotta have ....
    Palm simple one handed operation .....
    And fit it in a box thge size of the Q

[now tongie reaching for exit thru ear]

And lets not forget the increased efficiency argument .... if I get a new Treo every six months I could increase my work efficiency and save my employer $5,000 a year ... of course the times wasted on the company dime loading the apps, customizing, trying out 5 different vendors offering for the same app, troubleshooting, looking for answers via the web and complaining "where is the next treo" on TC costs the employer $24,000 a year but let's not talk about that ..

Oh yeah .... I have been evaluating a new Dual Core 2.16 GHz 2MB cache, Pentium M laptop ....2 Gig of RAM, 100 Gig 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive, TV Tuner w/ remote control, Dual Layer DVD Writer, astounding 17" 1920 x 1200 sharp aquos like screen, 256 MB GeForce2Go 7900 chipset, 1.3 MP camera, 7-1 card reader, gigabit lan 802.11a/b/g wireless, V90 fax modem, stereo speakers w/ subwoofer, firewire, 6 USB, 8 channel audio / video output, bluetooth and I can't rememebr what else. Thing trounces my son's gaming box (512 MB 6800 GTX) by a factor of 4 on 3D mark .... pretty impressive but it don't fit in my front pocket.....and it's kinda light for Windows Vista BTW ...... If Palm can't match these specs in Treo by August, I'm jumping ship.
    Did you buy a Sager clone? I used to have a 9860, I liked it alright.
    ...costs the employer $24,000 a year but let's not talk about that ..
    ... If Palm can't match these specs in Treo by August, I'm jumping ship.
    Jack. That is hillarious!
    Patrick Horne
  12.    #12  
    what about SE M600?

I liked it but it lacks a camera (I feel like its handicapped!)

Or the SE P900! Damn great device, even now!

Maybe I'll get a Palm PDA & The top media phone of my choosing. What u say?
    HTC does manufacture the Treo 650 and 700's. They also make the HP 6915. They just have not made a self-branded exposed keyboard device yet.

Surur
    jump, jump already. save yourself from more disspointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    Jack. That is hillarious!
    I get in these moods once and a while

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...nts#post887904
    If I were you, I would jump ship to the Sony M600, just to show Palm you are not kidding. They are on ebay now.

Don't bother with Fujitsu T830. Never have I thought Siemen-Fujitsu is a pece of sh1t vaporware company but it is.
    Last edited by whatever7; 06/21/2006 at 08:19 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Did you buy a Sager clone? I used to have a 9860, I liked it alright.
    Actually I bought it the people who build them for Sager .... and WidowPC ....and a crapload of others. Clevo makes laptops for a whole host of vendors and they have a distributor here in US who sells under Pro-Star name. If ya look at the pics, it's not hard to see all these things coming from one place.

What woulda cost me $4450 over at Widow cost me just under $3100k at ProStar ... you'd pay about 5-8% more you're a member of NYSSPE.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?ma...ail&model=5724
    http://www.widowpc.com/2006/05/sting_517m_gami.php

You do get a spider logo on the second one for ya extra money.
  18.    #18  
    I'm intrested in this new Samsung X..somthing
    Its not a smart phone, but its the thinninest media phone (around 6mm thick)
    I could pair that with a Palm PDa for the same cost, and it will allow me the flexability to change phones as I please.

What do you say? Split PDA & Phone again?
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    The amount of time we wait between models is ridiculous.
    So is the lack of any solid new model infor or dates.
    Thats bogus.
    Its VHS vs. Betamax again. Beta was easier, and better
    But VHS was cheaper & everywhere.

I want to buy a phone / PDA

If nothing appears within a month, I will jump ship.

To what, I don't know. Single device, 2? dunno.

But I want (not need) a faster device, a better camera, a smaller function, and WIFI.
    Being stuck like that sucks.
    No offense, but get something else. Who's holding a gun to your head? What's the point of threatening us? Write a letter to Palm.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Actually I bought it the people who build them for Sager .... and WidowPC ....and a crapload of others. Clevo makes laptops for a whole host of vendors and they have a distributor here in US who sells under Pro-Star name. If ya look at the pics, it's not hard to see all these things coming from one place.

What woulda cost me $4450 over at Widow cost me just under $3100k at ProStar ... you'd pay about 5-8% more you're a member of NYSSPE.

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?ma...ail&model=5724
    http://www.widowpc.com/2006/05/sting_517m_gami.php

You do get a spider logo on the second one for ya extra money.

Yes, I know Clevo makes Sager, Voodoo, Falcon NW and Alienware laptops. I had a D900T. Honestly, while it had all the bells and whistles it was to me a finished product. It was bulky, rough around the edges and had no finese. The Qosmio that I had previous, while it specs were substatailly lower, made it looks like a toy. Just so much better a user experience with the other laptops I have owned.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast