1.    #1  
    Okay I searched, lots. I found so many different things I couldn't even get through it all. I found very little of what I wanted to know and lots about stuff I didn't.

So please help me out. I have been a palm user, a blackberry user and now I am switching providers. I am going to get a treo but I am not sure if I would like the 700w. I would like to hear from those of you who have used both the w and the p, and I don't care which you like more, but why? The good and the bad.

I am very happy with the helpfulness of those of you on this site, I thank you for all of your input and any input you are willing to give me know.

B
    If you don't need Mac interoperability and want a more seamless UI experience with fewer crashes/instabilities, go for the 700w. The screen aspect ratio is non-standard (WM devices are 4:3, 700w is 1:1), so you will most likely need to do more vertical or encounter incompatibilities with some WM applications. The RAM is also paltry, so while WM is superior in terms of multitasking, you won't be able to run more than 2 or three useful programs at once without one or more of them quitting in the background -- for instance, it's almost impossible to run a messenger application in the background while checking email and then switching to IE to surf web content, as that requires too much RAM and the messenger application almost always quit on me without my knowledge.

The 700w is definitely more stable, and applications don't generally hold the entire phone hostage if they malfunction (you can kill them using the task manager). While applications are doing their thing, you have concurrent access to other UI services and applications due to the superior multitasking, which is nice.

Pairing the 700w with my Mac via bluetooth was a nightmare that I never quite escaped, and USB tethering for EVDO internet was not an option. UI responsiveness was generally good -- the thing seemed plenty fast -- but the screen wasn't as bright or crisp as the 700p (the 700w runs at 240x240 while the 700p runs at 320x320, and the 700p has a brighter whiter backlight).

What else... while the 700w has lower resolution, WM makes better use of that real estate than PalmOS makes of a larger 320x320 screen. Contacts and emails are presented in a far more visually pleasing way, and you can anti-alias all text by enabling ClearType in your control panels/preferences (something that requires a 3rd party background application on the 700p). By comparison, PalmOS just feels clunky because of its overly large and chunky fonts, and strange layout when it comes to certain things.

I think if Palm doubled the 700w RAM and went with a one step higher WM screen standard (480x480), it would be a clear winner for most folks. Us Mac guys would most likely still be left in the cold to fend for ourselves.

Good luck with your decision -- I recommend taking a couple of hours to play with both at the store while carefully evaluating its usefullness in the things you do the most. Even after you take it home, you should have 15 days to return it for a full refund -- Verizon offers that, as well as a better EVDO network and excellent customer support.

Cheers!
    700p ftw
    go for the w. much more stable, ram is RARELY a prob unless you're just bothered by it, slingbox voip tivo to gom plus its he future. pos is a pos.
    I've been a devoted Palm user for years and years, yet I have to say the 700w is an excellent phone. It's as good as the WM5 smartphones as far as being a "phone" (unlike the lousy PDA phones that abound). Since I work for a company that uses Microsoft Exchange, the idea of being able to keep my email/contacts/notes/etc in realtime sync is very attractive. At a previous position we had Goodlink, and I loved that (as compared to the timed or manual syncs -- which doesn't include notes/memos) of VersaMail.

I admit that my uses are fairly limited. I use the phone as a PDA and email device, I run ssh on it, and do a ton of texting/MMS as well as run the scanR application. I don't run a lot of exotic applications for the most part and thus don't have a lot of 'commitment.'

If Sprint releases a 700w I'm going to be very, very, very tempted to switch over.

Steve
    If you read the 700w reviews in the press, just about everyone says "It's the best WM5 device ever but that it still pales in comparision with the Editor's Choice 650.

The 700p reviews OTOH are pretty flat out ... Editor's Choice again.

Here's one from same source:

700p (4.5* rating) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1966264,00.asp

The 700p, available in two versions (for Verizon and Sprint; we tested the latter), adds high-speed EV-DO networking, a better camera, and updated software to our Editors' Choice Palm Treo 650. That's enough to keep Palm in the lead for the best-balanced, easiest-to-use smartphone in the USA.

The advances in the Treo 700p are in software. It takes the 700w's advantages—fast EV-DO networking and a 1.3-megapixel camera—and marries them to the latest in easy-to-use Palm OS software. Yes, the Palm OS is getting old; most notably, it doesn't support multitasking, which is annoying when you're downloading e-mail and want to do something else. But it's still tremendously responsive and requires relatively few keypresses or stylus taps to do what you want.

Because DocumentsToGo is burned into ROM, the 700p has 60MB of memory available. That's not much in the Microsoft Windows world, but it's plenty for smaller Palm apps.

The Treo 700p offers an excellent balance of phone functions, PIM, media, and high-speed Internet access. It's a joy to use and will satisfy all but the geekiest feature hounds. For that, it's a worthy Editors' Choice.
    Treo 700w (3.0* rating) - http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911100,00.asp

The most usable one-handed Pocket PC, the Palm Treo 700w, will be welcome in Microsoft-dominated workplaces looking for an e-mail-oriented phone that works with the latest Exchange servers. We can't recommend it as enthusiastically for individual consumers, because it isn't quite as easy to use as the Treo 650 and doesn't take advantage of all the power the Windows Mobile platform has to offer. The Treo 700w is a slightly uncomfortable compromise, but one you can accept cheerfully if your IT department chooses it for you.

You can compare the Treo 700w against its predecessor, the 650, or against other Windows Mobile handhelds. The Palm OS used in the Treo 650 still requires fewer taps and clicks than Windows Mobile, uses less battery power in PDA mode, and feels zippier with the 312-MHz processor.

But the Treo 700w's 240-by-240 screen consigns videos to a cramped window (or to having their sides clipped off); there's no Wi-Fi (though EV-DO is nice); and the processor isn't all that fast.

The 65MB of available storage memory offers enough room for programs, but the 11MB of available program memory is much too small. We got frequent "out of memory" errors and had to go an extra step to close programs. The low memory may also explain why our Treo 700w crashed several times, requiring resets.

The 312-MHz processor is okay for day-to-day use, but we noted it got slower results on all of our benchmark tests than the competing PPC-6700. Battery life, at 6 hours 15 minutes of continuous video playback, was good for a Pocket PC phone.

The 240-by-240 screen is just a bad idea. Palm told us it's working with software companies to make sure that Pocket PC programs, which are written mostly for 320-by-240 screens, work on the square screen. But we had one error message run off the screen when we were testing. The screen has 25 percent less space than standard 320-by-240 Pocket PCs and 44 percent less than the 320-by-320 Treo 650. There's no upside to that.
    I've used both. Here are my thoughts:

w - multitasking is nice but generally useless do to the small amont of RAM. Opening IE generally shuts down other programs.

I like IE, especially its ability to store passwords, view individual frames and stream video / audio.

The non standard screen means some programs don't quite work right; plus the lower resolution make programs less pretty. The menu bar also wastes screen space.

It's slow switching between programs.

There are some cool WM only programs - select radio, which streams audio is a really cool app.

I find most programs to busy - PIMs especially, and I've used Agendu Fusion and Pocket Informant; they are less usable than the Palm PIMS such as Datebook5.

Many wasn't very stable - I'd soft reset at least once a day or have the phone freeze - I'm on my 3rd one right now.

I don't like having to use multiple taps and navigate menus to do things - I find it annoying.

p - high resolution screen. Since it is a standard screen most apps work just fine.
    I personally find Palm apps easier to use.

Ease of use - many things are done with 1 button.

I don't like that I can't get pTunes to be the default app for streaming audio from Blazer.

Blazer doesn't do frames like IE and there is no Opera (other than the Java version) for the 700p.

Hotsync is more reliable than Active Sync (Active Stink as it is often called by WM users). I've had to reload AS many times to get it to work.

I like to use my Treo to play games while traveling - and the emulation (NES< SNES) is better on it than the 700w.

In the end, the big choice is do you prefer WM or Palm OS? I prefer Palm OS so I am using the p instead of the w. Neither is a bad choice, just different ones.