Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If anyone is familiar with this scam, I'd love to hear...Here's what happened:

I bought a Treo 650 on ebay. When I tried to activate it, Sprint told me it was stolen. The seller was non-cooperative, so I reported it to PayPal. It took about 7 months, but I finally got my money back (post police reports and waiting on PayPal). The police ended up giving me the phone back. They said it was never reported stolen in their system, and Sprint didn't want it (weird). So, since I got my money back, I went back into Sprint and tried again to return it. They told me the phone was...get this...reported stolen by the guy who sold it to me on ebay. So they called this guy and asked if they could activate it (why, I don't know). He told them, "Sure, you can activate it for this guy." So, now I have the phone and my refund. And now this guy (the seller) is hounding me for his money. Apparently, PayPal has a collection on his account.

My question is: is anyone familiar with this scam? My guess is the guy who sold it to me reported it stolen and got a new phone. Then he sold me his stolen phone on ebay (hoping I wouldn't report it to PayPal? I don't know).

My other question is: Would you send this guy his money knowing he has a scam going here?

Oh, ironically, the phone died like two days ago, and Sprint gave me a new phone. So I can't send him the phone back.

Let the Ethics Game begin...
    If your story is true, I wouldn't send him any money. That's what he gets for trying to scam someone.
    You followed the rules and he did not, in my opinion, you owe him nothing. He was trying to scam from the beginning and he must now pay for his unethical behavior, your actions were ethical from the start.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    The right thing to do would be to give him his money back.................minus an aggrivation fee
    How much is your time worth? You were out of the money for 7 months and had to work to get it back due to the buyer's scam. Plus you add in that the police had to get involved and waste our tax money because of that scammer.

If you really feel bad about having the money, donate it to the police department.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    How do you KNOW he was trying to scam you?
    Quote Originally Posted by nathandunn
    How do you KNOW he was trying to scam you?
    Because he sold a phone that HE reported stolen.
    in then end you got a free phone that you bought.....

-I dont know, I think you should pay him his $$, or return him his phone.

*you got your $$ back from Paypal already, why did you bother reactivating it again in the Sprint store,

The moral thing you should have done was: Paypal refund your money, you send the phone back to the seller.

Now you have both, so in theory you do not own the phone. Pay him
    Tell him if he wants his phone back, to give you a pre-paid shipper
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    Is that the case ? Sound like he reported it stolen once the complaint process started.

I was on the other end of this once - bought a brand new unit from Palm and Sprint had the ESN flagged as stolen. The buyer freaked out (and rightfully so), but I immediately offered a full refund and asked if we could take a few days to sort it out.

My point is that due to Sprint's screw up, I would have at least been out shipping fees, or the buyer would think I stole the phone. I did get it resolved, and all's well that ends well.

Did the police (or anyone) find that the phone was actually stolen ? If yes, throw the phone away or keep it - you tried to return it to Sprint and they did not want it. If no, you should return it because it could actually be Sprint's screw up (why they did not want it back). I would think that the fact they called the guy to activate it indicates that it was actually NOT stolen, but in fact, Sprint's screw up.

He probably reported it stolen out of spite or an attempt to get some of his money back. Now you have a phone that was activated as originally promised - it would be unfair to keep his phone and money if Sprint screwed up (hard to believe).

Sprint may be the one who owes you somethign for your time, not the seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by pabo
    Sound like he reported it stolen once the complaint process started... He probably reported it stolen out of spite or an attempt to get some of his money back...
    You obviously did not read the original post...
    Quote Originally Posted by bayoyong
    I bought a Treo 650 on ebay. When I tried to activate it, Sprint told me it was stolen. The seller was non-cooperative, so I reported it to PayPal...
    The seller reported it stolen BEFORE the buyer made the complaint, how could he have reported it "out of spite or an attempt to get some of his money back"? And how the hell is Sprint at fault? Don't confuse your bad experience with bayoyong. This seller sounds like a scam artist, he deserves nothing.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    You obviously did not read the original post...

The seller reported it stolen BEFORE the buyer made the complaint, how could he have reported it "out of spite or an attempt to get some of his money back"? And how the hell is Sprint at fault? Don't confuse your bad experience with bayoyong. This seller sounds like a scam artist, he deserves nothing.
    uh, yeah, not sure how you came to that conclusion...

The original post never stated the timeline. That was my question - was it originally reported stolen by the seller, or did the seller make that report after the complaint process started.

First - If the seller reported it stolen why were the police and Sprint uninterested ? Second - Sprint, imho, has terrible customer service, so I would easily assume they had some fault in this. If Sprint did not screw up initially, then the definitely screwed up by letting the guy off the hook for reporting a phone stolen and then allowing him to sell it.

"The seller sounds like a scam artist" - interesting conclusion from so little data. Chill out.
    uh, yeah, not sure how you came to that conclusion...

The original post never stated the timeline. That was my question - was it originally reported stolen by the seller, or did the seller make that report after the complaint process started.

First - If the seller reported it stolen why were the police and Sprint uninterested ? Second - Sprint, imho, has terrible customer service, so I would easily assume they had some fault in this. If Sprint did not screw up initially, then the definitely screwed up by letting the guy off the hook for reporting a phone stolen and then allowing him to sell it.

"The seller sounds like a scam artist" - interesting conclusion from so little data. Chill out.
    I know it's embarrassing to be wrong and admit it, but no one will love you less when you do. The buyer clearly states:

1) "I bought a Treo 650 on ebay."
    2) "When I tried to activate it, Sprint told me it was stolen."
    3) "The seller was non-cooperative, so I reported it to PayPal..."

The phone was reported stolen before he activated it, which is why he couldn't activate it. He reported it after the seller was non-cooperative and then he made his claim to PayPal.

It's really not that hard to follow. If you need more help, know that I am here for you.
    It looks pretty straight forward to me - the guy tried to scam him. Did the police or Sprint ever check with Lockline to see if there's a little insurance fraud going on here as well?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  15.    #15  
    Hey Guys, thanks for all the responses! I appreciate you taking the time to read about my situation and offer your advice. To answer some of your questions...
    When I got the phone, it was apparently already reported stolen. I found out months later that the guy who sold it to me was the one who reported it stolen.
    The police confiscated the phone, tried to return it to Sprint, but Sprint wouldn't take it. Why? I do not know. I spoke with the officer who went directly to the store from my house. Sprint told him they couldn't even give him any information about who reported it stolen. The officer was at a loss. He ran a check in the nat'l police system to see if it was reported stolen. It wasn't. So, whomever reported it stolen, only reported it to Sprint and not the police. About a month later, I was shocked when the police gave me the phone back. When I finally got my refund from PayPal, I tried to return the phone to the Sprint store. They looked it up in their system, found it was reported stolen, and called the guy who had reported it stolen (the seller). This has just been crazy.

I think I have decided to send him his money. I side with those of you who say - even though I suspect this guy is a scam artist - it wouldn't be right for me to keep the phone and the money.

Feel free to keep posting your opinions...or if you are aware of similar scams. I'd love to read them.
  16.    #16  
    What is Lockline?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    The buyer clearly states:

1) "I bought a Treo 650 on ebay."
    2) "When I tried to activate it, Sprint told me it was stolen."
    3) "The seller was non-cooperative, so I reported it to PayPal..."
    Now that the original poster cleared up the timeline, I have the answer to my original question. How you draw your conclusion from the three statements above is beyond me. Thanks for the offer, but I try not to seek guidance from those who jump to conclusions, even if those jumps occasionally result in the right answer. That is the definition of being lucky, not the definition of being smart. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally...

Curious - are you attempting humor or just being obnoxious ?

Lockline is an insurance provider for cell phones.

FWIW - I think it is great that you took the high-road, though others might not see it the same way. One thing is certain, what goes around comes around.
    Now that the original poster cleared up the timeline, I have the answer to my original question. How you draw your conclusion from the three statements above is beyond me.
    I think just about everyone else understood.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrangeReaction
    If your story is true, I wouldn't send him any money. That's what he gets for trying to scam someone.
    I think he got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    How much is your time worth? You were out of the money for 7 months and had to work to get it back due to the buyer's scam. Plus you add in that the police had to get involved and waste our tax money because of that scammer.

If you really feel bad about having the money, donate it to the police department.
    He seemed to understand too.
    Quote Originally Posted by string3599
    Wow, here's another...
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    It looks pretty straight forward to me - the guy tried to scam him. Did the police or Sprint ever check with Lockline to see if there's a little insurance fraud going on here as well?
    Hmmm. Maybe it wasn't just me.
    Last edited by geatches; 06/14/2006 at 08:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    I think just about everyone else understood.

I think he got it.

He seemed to understand too.

Wow, here's another...

Hmmm. Maybe it wasn't just me.
    At least you're not one to say "I told you so"...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    At least you're not one to say "I told you so"...
    I'll see you in confession.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast