Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I don't think so.

Posting rules
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Hopefully people will do a search before they post. Really, you can usually find the answer much sooner if you search and find the answer, instead of waiting for someone to respond to your question. It also helps keep the boards leaner. Also, Google is really good for finding error messages and codes.
    I dont think its mean to ASK someone to do a search. Far too often though, no one is ASKING. :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    I dont think its mean to ASK someone to do a search. Far too often though, no one is ASKING. :-)
    I agree. The tendency here is to jump all over newbies who don't know the ropes yet.
    honestly...I don't see too much jumping on newbies.

usually the ruder ones are 200 count posters jumping on them.

I will often suggest a search and if I'm on my desktop will provide a link if I can do it quickly.

sometimes I am sarcastic but in good fun (see my signature)

what I do see is newer posters going crazy and flaming elder posters that suggest a search.

to me that is the real problem.

I suggest searching but have offered help MUCH more in my 5000+ posts.

my 2cents.
    I usually advise searching because I'm posting from my Treo.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Most of the "do a research" question can be answered in one sentense. Why waste time to tell people to do a research instead of answering the question.

If you don't want to help the newbies, somebody else will.

Now if you say do a research and then post the link of the relevent thread, then it's a different story. You are actually helping.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Most of the "do a research" question can be answered in one sentense. Why waste time to tell people to do a research instead of answering the question.

If you don't want to help the newbies, somebody else will.

Now if you say do a research and then post the link of the relevent thread, then it's a different story. You are actually helping.
    Isn't there an "Announcement: Forum Guidelines" link at the top of every forum that suggests something like...
    "Search! Search! Search! - Your question probably has been answered or discussed. Before posting a new thread, please use the search feature to look for your question first. While we welcome people who are new to Palm OS or the Treo, it can become monotonous for the community to continue answering the same questions repeatedly."
    This question has already been addressed. You should have searched before you started this thread. Sheesh.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus
    This question has already been addressed. You should have searched before you started this thread. Sheesh.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
    LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    honestly...I don't see too much jumping on newbies.

usually the ruder ones are 200 count posters jumping on them.

I will often suggest a search and if I'm on my desktop will provide a link if I can do it quickly.

sometimes I am sarcastic but in good fun (see my signature)

what I do see is newer posters going crazy and flaming elder posters that suggest a search.

to me that is the real problem.

I suggest searching but have offered help MUCH more in my 5000+ posts.

my 2cents.
    And again...I agree with Dutch. Plus 5,000+ posts can't go wrong
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    It is nice to see a post that says "I've searched for this info . . . ." It doesn't happen too often, though. And I'm as guilty as the next guy/gal.

The search feature on this forum (and many others) is not intuitive and very few folks know how to site search using Google. Trying to find the phrase "boot loader screen on a 650" without getting 1,000 messages with every instance of each of those words is a rather Sisyphean task (vs. getting only the messages containing that phrase).

Then the "Search" button at the very top-right side of the blue menu bar works differently (Google?) than the "search forum" and "search" button at the top of the forum listing. And there's nothing in the FAQs about how to use the search features. [Hint, hint!]

Often, too, a search turns up so many instances of "close to my problem but not really it" that a person can end up just defaulting to posting instead of searching.

Yes, it would be nice if folks searched first. But it's not the end of the world if they don't. And an encouraging word like " . . . may fix your problem. A search of the forums might turn up additional info . . . ." might enlighten the unenlightened.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  13.    #13  
    I started this thread because of the following exchange...
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer
    I am about to buy a 700W from Verizon, and switch from my T-Mobile sidekick II. After searching and reading on this site, I find a lot of people are very unsatisfied with the Treo 700W. Why is that? The lack of memory? This can be fixed with a card. The screen res? Not the biggest deal. Possibly windows mobile all together as opposed to favoring the Palm operating system?

I've read people buying it and returning it within a day, or a few days. Is the W a step I shouldn't make?

Thanks in advance.
    -Kyle
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    There are many threads that ask and answer this question. Use the search button near the top of the page and you will get all your questions answered. Welcome and Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrlaser
    This kind of an answer isn't an answer. At least point him to some thread titles or links instead of turning him around and pushing him away saying "Go find them yourself."

How'd you like it if you went into a library and went to the information desk and asked a librarian "I'm doing some research on [whatever] and could use some help in locating the books with information that would be useful to me" and the librarian said to you "We have a million books here. You figure it out" and turned her back on you?

That's the analog equivalent of what you said to him.

Harv
    Even better, here's the entire thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=117156

So, basically, you resurrected a dead and answered topic that you your self helped create? Talk about a waste of time and energy.

Septimus' post was eerily right on target.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    Even better, here's the entire thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=117156

So, basically, you resurrected a dead and answered topic that you your self helped create? Talk about a waste of time and energy.

Septimus' post was eerily right on target.
    Who time and energy? Yours? LOL
    Treocentral obviously needs an organic search engine to make everyone happy. Who of you wants to volunteer for the job? We can give you the moniker of "OrgaSM" (short for Organic Search Monkey.) All threads submitted by someone with...say 1-100 posts and has the keywords "how do I," "what is," or "HELP!" can be immediately forwarded to you, so that you can both consumate the non-searching relationship.
    Last edited by Insertion; 06/13/2006 at 03:10 PM. Reason: my grammar is teh suX0r
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I would hesitate to try to count how many of my posts have been links to "CLEAN INSTALL" or "Free 4mb of Memory".

How many "How do I move from a 600 to a 650?" threads have there been?

Or: "Just got a xxx, what do I do first?"
    Or: "Just got a xxx, what are the best apps?"
    Or: "Just got a xxx, what is the best case for it?"
    Or: "Just got a xxx, what is . . . . . . . . . . . . . .?"

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 06/13/2006 at 02:12 PM.
  18.    #18  
    I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, I just wanted to let my new friend Harv know it's o.k. to politely point out the search feature to a noob. That being said, I think teh Munk has a great idea and I nominate bheuss, harv and whatever7 to be TC's first "OrgaSM"'s, short for Organic Search Monkey.
    I second The Don's nominations, and move for a vote.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I second The Don's nominations, and move for a vote.
    All in favor say Aye.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast