Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I went to San Jose, CA today for a meeting. About 10 of us in the meeting. Five Treos. No Blackberries. Multiple Treo sightings at both Burbank and San Jose airports. Not so many Blackberries.

Have we won?
    From something that has been an anomoly, and a rare chance sighting when i owned my first, Treos are everywhere now. People at work with Blackberries are asking me if they should switch.
    I see tons of people with Treos now too.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    i'd like to hear what wall street is carrying
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    i'd like to hear what wall street is carrying
    Probably Blackberries. Corporate and certainly Gov't are still the Blackberries domain.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Probably Blackberries. Corporate and certainly Gov't are still the Blackberries domain.
    Yep. I'd say Wall St. has a certain *ahem* perspective on the world.

E.g., last week I was sitting with a muckety-muck who runs a giant mutual fund (my kid goes to school with his kid, I'm not in that financial league weep weep) and he said that he was meeting with the Dell CFO that afternoon. I told him that I recently replaced all of my Dell computers (workstations and servers) with home-built white boxes for cheaper than Dells. He looked at me funny, like "Have I seen a glimpse into the future?" funny.

I wonder if Wall Street knows you can buy the parts to build servers over the internet, retail, and put them together cheaper and better than Dell would sell me?

Same thing for Blackberry. I wonder if Wall Street is so tied up with its Blackberries that it can't see what else is out there that is vastly more capable than Blackberry? The much vaunted reliability of the BB system can be replicated easily and cheaply. RIMM is a middleman and you need not look far to see what technology does to the middleman.

Anyone want a second hand T-Mobile BB 7230 cheapcheapcheap?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    no thank, my brand new 7290 is sitting in my desk drawer (the SIM is in my 650 with BBC).
    can't disagree as I have built a few of my own home cpu's over the years. but in fairness, wall street (for the most part) is text/data centric as what they need most is the ability to read written communication. most of those on the run don't need to use their handheld devices to edit documents, they usually either carry laptops or use the data centers located within the hotels in which they stay. so in the end, blackberry devices are less expensive than the treos and also less heavy to carry so they do make some sense from that perspective. it's funny though; you will see more treos and the like on the buyside than on the sellside. matter of fact, it's almost all blackberry on the sellside and for good reason (# employees x cost factor). they're issued these devices and don't have much choice, and in the end, they offer all they need.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    I was in new york a few days ago and noticed several people with treos just while I was walking down the street.

one blackberry, five treos.

blackberry has the lock in the corporate world, but
    I think the treo is really, really gaining ground here.

once palm eliminates the crashes and reset issues, look out.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    they need to make treos lighter for that to happen. simply too much bulk to carry in pocket on the go. remember, the MOTO-Q does just about everything the Treo does in almost less than half of the weight.

the Moto-Q is perhaps the true Blackberry killer.
    I've been seeing an interesting development - manager level employees on down are crackberry tied, but the "bosses" are carrying Treos, and some even venturing into 8125/6670 land. They seem to be the "status symbol" devices. It will be interesting to see if Q and other low end solutions eat RIM from below.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    interesting, dstrauss. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was the case.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    I cannot imagine being satisfied with the jog wheel setup of the Q when compared with the touch sensitive screen of the Treo. My wife went from the newest Nextel Blackberry with the wheel to a Treo 600 and loves it much better. Ben
    I really like the Blackberry's jog wheel. I think Sony Clie's had it. Reading long emails is easier with the wheel, but I don't think I could sacrifice the Treo's touchscreen for a scrollwheel like the Q.
    Palm IIIxe > Palm Vx > Tungsten T|3 > Unlocked Cingular Treo 650 on T-Mo

Favorite Apps: zLauncher (To run apps from SD card), Butler (MUST HAVE), Pocket Quicken, TCPMP, Profiles (Smarter than the Silent Mode switch on the top), MiniTones (to assign Mp3 Ringtones), SplashID, pTunes, VoicePad & NotePad (from a Lifedrive), HS Extension 2.0 Hack, TreoNaviText.
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    i'll say i've seen a lot more treos lately than when i picked up my 650 a while back - but from what i've seen on the streets (in NYC and DC Metro) blackberry devices are all over the place. for every treo i see, i probably see 2-5 more BBs.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    Depends on what circles you run around it I have found. Most people who make their own purchases, lots of docs, lawyers, real estate folks, self employed business types, seem to have Treos. If you work for someplace that has an IT department that is in charge, good chance its a BB as those things have the rep of being ***** proof. Edward Jones just bought 700w's in bulk though.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Depends on what circles you run around it I have found. Most people who make their own purchases, lots of docs, lawyers, real estate folks, self employed business types, seem to have Treos. If you work for someplace that has an IT department that is in charge, good chance its a BB as those things have the rep of being ***** proof. Edward Jones just bought 700w's in bulk though.
    You forgot Programmers, Engineers, Automation Engineers and technicians, Robot technicians...we use Treo's too.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    You forgot Programmers, Engineers, Automation Engineers and technicians, Robot technicians...we use Treo's too.
    Good point, but I dont hang out with them very much! I deal with both governement types (lots of BBs) and attorneys etc, (lots of Treos)
    If you work for someplace that has an IT department that is in charge, good chance its a BB as those things have the rep of being ***** proof. Edward Jones just bought 700w's in bulk though.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree...everyone above Automation and engineering in the executive wing have BB's. All of us geeks have regular company cell lines but we also purchased our own treo's on our own dime taking advantage of that corporate discount at the same time.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I can confirm that major firms (wall street, law firms, etc) still do the blackberry thing. I actually carry a blackberry for business.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast