1.    #1  
    The searches I did weren't all that great but I wanted to know how much it runs for those of you who have Verizon service for your treo (650 for me) and does it cost less to just check email or does that come with an internet package so to speak? I have a friend who says he pays like 45 bucks on top of the regular VZW monthly charge for internet access. I'd like to be able to access the internet while out, email and such, but jeez, 45 bucks on top of the 40 a month I already pay sound nuts.

Any tips?
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    That's what Verizon charges for unlimited data. That is just about the biggest complaint with Verizon.
    Verizon offers a limited data plan of 10 MB per month for $24.99 but seems like you have to ask for it; they don't tend to volunteer the info. I use this plan to check email when out of the office and the occasional Directory Assistance or KMaps for directions and have rarely exceeded 5 MBs per month.
    Quote Originally Posted by kenspen
    Verizon offers a limited data plan of 10 MB per month for $24.99 but seems like you have to ask for it; they don't tend to volunteer the info. I use this plan to check email when out of the office and the occasional Directory Assistance or KMaps for directions and have rarely exceeded 5 MBs per month.
    Cingular offers 10MB's for 14.99 and from what I've heard Sprint is also very cheap.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I also have the $24.99 10MB a month w/Verizon. I check gmail with VersaMail, occasionally go to the web for things ... I don't think I'll ever go over the 10MB/month. Right now I've got a total of 3.3MB used since I bought the phone 5/12! (haven't reset the total on the call log just yet!). There was a "pay-as-you-go" plan as well but they are trying to do away with it ... you can ask for it though & they may give it. You have to be very careful if you choose that option though - always disconnect!!! I believe the phone needs to be activated thru Verizon to do any of these things - so you have to take 1 of these data plan options to check email, surf, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie K
    I also have the $24.99 10MB a month w/Verizon. I check gmail with VersaMail, occasionally go to the web for things ... I don't think I'll ever go over the 10MB/month. Right now I've got a total of 3.3MB used since I bought the phone 5/12! (haven't reset the total on the call log just yet!). There was a "pay-as-you-go" plan as well but they are trying to do away with it ... you can ask for it though & they may give it. You have to be very careful if you choose that option though - always disconnect!!! I believe the phone needs to be activated thru Verizon to do any of these things - so you have to take 1 of these data plan options to check email, surf, etc.
    Yeah, I've been with Verizon since 5/24/06 with pay-as-you-go with a 650 and have gotten bitten more than I have wanted as I experiment with it. The rate is $0.015 per KB or $15 per MB, which is punitive (at least *I* think so). You also pay twice for PIX messages (the Treos use the data connection to send the picture and/or audio) whereas non "smart" phones "only" get billed air time and $0.25 per PIX (when not on a plan). There are times when I wish my phone weren't so "smart".

I've tried the "free" dial up network trick (nocharge.com) and DUN via PDANet and it seems that Verizon still picks up the interaction as data transmission even if I'm simply dialed in to a free ISP and not using the Verizon data network (at least that's what I THOUGHT!). For example, I have this nice 2.3 MB charge for this month ($36!!) for having tried the above connections. It appears there's no escape short of "shutting off" the data connection or paying the piper.

So, being the cheap bugger I am, I've set up a network connection labeled "Don't Do It!!" that points to a bogus fone number. Seems to be working well so far!

If anyone out there has a way to access small amounts of data occasionally (ON VERIZON) and only pay for the air time, please speak up.
    "The heavens declare His righteousness, And all the peoples have seen His glory."<br>e-sword
    I also have been bitten by the data charge for pictures on Verizon. Even though the package offers free photos to Verizon phones, the Treo 650 employs a data transfer to send or receive photos, i.e. a data charge. Is there no work around?
    This fee was the biggest reason I have never switched to VZW. With SPCS it is included for free with my $100/month plan(700p). On my add-a-line it is only costing my $5/month. That is for unlimited data for both. So I put up with a little smaller data coverage to save over $400/year. Also SPCS will start to have data roaming on the EVDO phones soon with Alltel; I haven't heard if nonEVDO will be able to take advantage of this.