Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am interested in using Treo 700w or 700p in Australia. But here we have GSM. Does Treo 700 w/p come with GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by treodownunder
    I am interested in using Treo 700w or 700p in Australia. But here we have GSM. Does Treo 700 w/p come with GSM
    Not yet. Rumor is end of the year for GSM, most likely the MS format.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by treodownunder
    Thanks for that.
    No problem. Welcome to the site.
  5.    #5  
    Are there any available where the sim is unlocked?
    Geatches already answered your question. No 700 is offered in GSM.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Try the 650, because it could be at least 6 months before the 700 GSM comes out.
    I think it is doubtful that the next GSM Treo will bear the 700 designation.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think it is doubtful that the next GSM Treo will bear the 700 designation.
    Any idea what it will be? Perhaps another number designation (800) or one of the "codenames" that have been rumored?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Try the 650, because it could be at least 6 months before the 700 GSM comes out.
    The 650GSM is a very good device and very far from obsolescence or end of life. While it supports EDGE and not UMTS, there is not much UMTS out there in any case (e.g., Boston and Washington but not New York.) I do not think that Cingular has rolled out a UMTS market beyond the ones they bought from AT&T.

There will likely be a Treo GSM UMTS some day. There is one rumor that it will be this month but I do not put much credence in it. There is another that it will be late 2006 or early 2007. That is more consistent with Treo GSM history. There may or may not ever be follow on to the 650GSM/P. 650 GSMs sell for $0.50 on the 700 CDMA price and are a great value at that price.
    Could be anything.....my gues is it will arrive in two forms:

a $799-$899 thing "kitchen sink" model and a $399 limited function model (MSRP of course) which will be much like the Q. Both will pull same BS as this year, only announcing a WM version in 2006 in order to get the biggest splash, then finally succumbing and pumping out a non WM version(s) on the 2nd anniversary of the 650.

The wm won't be the "vista" version tho.....With Vista requiring 1 Gig of RAM, 40 GB of hard drive space, 128 MB video memory on the desktop....jut for the OS....gonna be a while before they can pack enough punch into a handeheld device to warrant that moniker
    Could be anything.....my gues is it will arrive in two forms:

a $799-$899 thing "kitchen sink" model and a $399 limited function model (MSRP of course) which will be much like the Q. Both will pull same BS as this year, only announcing a WM version in 2006 in order to get the biggest splash, then finally succumbing and pumping out a non WM version(s) on the 2nd anniversary of the 650.

The wm won't be the "vista" version tho.....With Vista requiring 1 Gig of RAM, 40 GB of hard drive space, 128 MB video memory on the desktop....jut for the OS....gonna be a while before they can pack enough punch into a handeheld device to warrant that moniker
    As we have already said, get a 650 GSM Palm OS for $350-. It is crazy to wait to pay a $550- premium for a marginally better machine.
    I have no clues or rumors but I know Palm well, talked with execs at roadshows. If my feeling is right they will release GSM 700P but unbranded at the end of July. Cingular won't jump on board and T-Mobile is lame. (MTW the funny thing about most Palm execs at the time of the 650 release used T-mobile)

Nothing other than hunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    As we have already said, get a 650 GSM Palm OS for $350-. It is crazy to wait to pay a $550- premium for a marginally better machine.
    Why ? Ya can pick up 650's anywhere for $99-$125

As for the 'Thing that is no longer called Hollywood", most would consider 2,000 kbps broadband to be worth the money alone. The smaller form factor again would be worth the cost of admission to many. The feature set is still secret and MSRP has nothing to do what ya pay for a device. You will probably be able to pick the thing up for $399 within 2 months of its release
    ..... there is not much UMTS out there in any case (e.g., Boston and Washington but not New York.) I do not think that Cingular has rolled out a UMTS market beyond the ones they bought from AT&T.
    There's a thread about the New York rollout earlier this month already on the boards and Cingular is using six contractors to roll out the upgrades at a rate of 12-15 major market areas (MMA's) per month. Right now they have about 100 MMA's compared with Verizon's 60 when the 7000w was released. All carriers are forecasting 90% broadband coverage by year's end. It's real tough to get a handle on what MMA's have full coverage as once they throw up

AT&T's UTMS is history......Cingular upgraded those towers to HSDPA and demonstrated HSDPA 3.6 in Vegas CES show in January getting OTA transfer rates averaging 2,000 kbps. Originally, they were going to roll out HSDPA 1.8 but testing was going so well at 3.6, they skipped the 1.8 rollout and moved directly to 3.6.

Of course all of them are ignoring me ....despite being in the 22nd largest county population wise in the US, still no EVDO or HSDPA coverage.
    Of course all of them are ignoring me ....despite being in the 22nd largest county population wise in the US, still no EVDO or HSDPA coverage.
    That is the 428th time you've mentioned that. Please, get over it already.
    The 650GSM is a very good device and very far from obsolescence or end of life. While it supports EDGE and not UMTS, there is not much UMTS out there in any case (e.g., Boston and Washington but not New York.) I do not think that Cingular has rolled out a UMTS market beyond the ones they bought from AT&T.
    There's a thread about the New York rollout earlier this month already on the boards and Cingular is using six contractors to roll out the upgrades at a rate of 12-15 major market areas (MMA's) per month. Right now they have about 100 MMA's compared with Verizon's 60 when the 7000w was released. All carriers are forecasting 90% broadband coverage by year's end. It's real tough to get a handle on what MMA's have full coverage as once they throw up.
    Ppl, you are losing the gist of the original post. He lives in Australia. I don't think he wants or needs to hear about Cingular or Verizons network!

Go for the 650, its at good phone, especially if you are after a GSM POS phone. Who knows when a 700p GSM will come out and it may not even have UMTS!
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    That is the 428th time you've mentioned that. Please, get over it already.
    I'd put it at 4th or so but it wasn't posted for my benefit but for the benefit of MR Murray (unless you are gonna speak for him and know for sure that he's seen one of the other postings) and the thread as a means of comparison. Carriers target areas based upon population density....it's called a cost / benefit ratio. Let's say they have an area with 1.7 million people and 170 cell towers, they gonna upgrade 10,000 people for what it costs to upgrade a single tower. Now who you think they gonna upgrade 1st ?

Area A - 10,000 people within tower's signal range
    Area B - 4,000 people within tower's signal range
    Area C - 2,000 people within tower's signal range

My money's on A....the cost benefit ratio is 5 times that of C.

That's also why the carrier claims of coverage are useless cause when they say they have coverage in an area, most often it's only part of an area and it's my bet that the areas with the largest cost / benefit ratio are done before the ones with lower ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Ppl, you are losing the gist of the original post. He lives in Australia. I don't think he wants or needs to hear about Cingular or Verizons network!
    The OP doesn't "own" the thread. I think the original question was asked and answered .... and more than once. Additional questions / issues do arise in any thread and in this case I was talking to whmurray which I thot woulda been clear by my starting with a quote of his.
    There's a thread about the New York rollout earlier this month already on the boards and Cingular is using six contractors to roll out the upgrades at a rate of 12-15 major market areas (MMA's) per month. Right now they have about 100 MMA's compared with Verizon's 60 when the 7000w was released. All carriers are forecasting 90% broadband coverage by year's end. It's real tough to get a handle on what MMA's have full coverage as once they throw up

AT&T's UTMS is history......Cingular upgraded those towers to HSDPA and demonstrated HSDPA 3.6 in Vegas CES show in January getting OTA transfer rates averaging 2,000 kbps. Originally, they were going to roll out HSDPA 1.8 but testing was going so well at 3.6, they skipped the 1.8 rollout and moved directly to 3.6........
    Thank you. That is news to me and very helpful. That said, the 650 is still a very good buy. Given Palm's record with GSM, one does not want to bet that they will be early rather than late.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast