1. DJH
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I am looking to buy a Treo 700. Just not sure if I should go for the P or W!! I owned an IPAQ PDA for the longest time and I am not real familiar with Palm OS. My hangup is because of some of the BETTER features on the P, like the 320 screen and the more stable platform. My question is this: for those of you out there that have tried both, what types of apps would be affected by buying the W, with the 240 screen? Would the P be limited by reduced manufacturing of 3rd party apps? Thanks for any help.
    There are many threads that ask and answer this question. Use the search button near the top of the page and you will get all your questions answered. Welcome and Good luck.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    it comes down to personal preference. I have used both PalmOS and Windows Mobile. I am currently using a WM5 device as a work requirement. in almost all situations I prefer: The PalmOS over Windows Mobile, Blazer over PIE, the superior resolution of the POS Treos, I also prefer the Treo form-factor and keyboard.(both the 700w and 700p. it's nice to see the Moto Q with this form factor now.

For stability Windows Mobile wins hands down. While PalmOS tends to reset periodically, WM does not. that said: I've had issues that cause me to soft reset it periodically to recover memory or fix a weird problem. i've also had to do at least 3 hard resets, but this was due mostly to the device being new and finding the proper configuration. to be fair you will experience something similar on PalmOS when it's new.

lastly: WM5 has a longer and brighter future than PalmOS. with some UI improvements I can see myself preferring it.

Not sure if this helps or not. if you have some specific questions for me to elaborate on please ask.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
  4. DJH
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I appreciate the feedback. I have heard that 3rd party mfctrs are limiting there apps for POS. I have just heard there are compatibility problems with the 240 screen rez on the W. I plan on watching compressed dvd files as well as photos. Was there a big diff in the screen shots?
    DJH

Hey, I know it's a serious question but when you ask it like this ...

to P or not to P???

... you know the answer is P. After all, how many of us need to W?

p.s. I'm biased towards the Palm OS due to many years of Palm PDA use. I tried a Blackberry (not a WM device, I know) and after a long weekend went out and got the 650 instead due to my familiartiy with the PIM and calendar functions. Frankly, if you don't pack in too many things the OS platform is very stable. I have simple needs and my 650 is rock solid.

p.p.s Thought driven01's post was well presented.
    Personally, If you need to P, then you should go before you make a mess.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  7. DJH
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcs11
    DJH

Hey, I know it's a serious question but when you ask it like this ...

to P or not to P???

... you know the answer is P. After all, how many of us need to W?

p.s. I'm biased towards the Palm OS due to many years of Palm PDA use. I tried a Blackberry (not a WM device, I know) and after a long weekend went out and got the 650 instead due to my familiartiy with the PIM and calendar functions. Frankly, if you don't pack in too many things the OS platform is very stable. I have simple needs and my 650 is rock solid.

p.p.s Thought driven01's post was well presented.

Ok, But W could mean "Wee" as in "wee wee".

I know this is Palm site and expect POS support here. I guess since I haven't used POS before I don't know of its functionality syncing with MS pc apps. Will my contacts, calendar sync properly? I am not a big 3rd party app guy, but some of the things I have read here interest me so I don't know for sure what I'll put on it, when/if I get it. Also, does POS automatically shut previous programs when you open a new one?
  8. DJH
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babydol
    Personally, If you need to P, then you should go before you make a mess.
    Hopefully deciding to go with one over the other won't make a mess.
    I love to P especially with EV but I don't think I like to W that much. The W interface is less intuitive to me than the P.

Al
    i don't agree with some of the above. there are many that will tell you that blazer is most inferior when it comes to internet browsing and i will tend to agree. matter of fact, i think it sucks when compared to pocket internet explorer. i do agree that the resolution of the P is higher but not a reason to not consider the W (the resolution of the W is beyond adequate). i do agree that windows is the wave of the future and is only going to get better. and yes, there is nothing better than its form factor (especially if you are a heavy email/sms user) other than the Moto-Q. if you don't believe me go buy yourself a slide-out keyboard device and report your findings.

have fun and try them all!
  11. DJH
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    I have been doing a lot of reading lately about my choices and the specs of the W and the P. I think the best advise I have seen is to try it, use it like I mean it, and then decide (within 15 days of course)..