Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Have any of you noticed that we can not search by company name (except for the 'find' option). Yet take this example: You look up a contact, this contact works for 'company X', but you have to search by name not company. Yet after you hang up phone look at your contacts, there are organized alphabetically, by.......company name(you can also see this scrolling) i.e. 'company x Joe Rug', 'company x Bill Glass', 'company y Rick Fork'. Why Palm, why?
    I can see the thinking behind it (I think). If you're an up-and-coming, go-getter in the Silicon Valley, you probably have thousands of contacts. A good number of them may be John Smiths, or Bob Jones, or some other relatively common name. The ability to search or list by company makes it a little easier. Or, if you are a service person and serve a lot of companies with various contact at each, it would make some sense.

I just look at it as kind of a "grouping" function. You can group all the folks at Company A together if you want to. Not that many of us want to . . .
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  3. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    Or, if you are a service person and serve a lot of companies with various contact at each, it would make some sense.

Hammer meet nail's head.
    Takephone lets you search by company name. www.shsh.com
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Takephone lets you search by company name. www.shsh.com
    Yeah, I know Heberman, thanks for the insight though. I really don't want to change the whole app, just wondering why Palm would not include it when we can see that the phone will recognize it(company's names).
    I agree that it should be part of the basic phone app.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Yeah, I know Heberman, thanks for the insight though. I really don't want to change the whole app, just wondering why Palm would not include it when we can see that the phone will recognize it(company's names).

...they LIKE to watch us suffer.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Even more surprising you can't do it on the 700, since you are able to list contacts by Company name instead of last name.
    I think I misread the OP before responding (the nail says ouch!) .

On the Treo's native contacts, you can list and search by company name. You can't (as I originally said) group by company. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding everything due to Friday Fever. In Contacts, in the Options | Preferences, just tick on List by: "Company Name, Last Name". At least on mine, if I start a search with that option checked, it brings up the companies. Like "smith " would bring up "Smith Company" first with "Smith, Joe'" last.
    Brent
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    I think I misread the OP before responding (the nail says ouch!) .

On the Treo's native contacts, you can list and search by company name. You can't (as I originally said) group by company. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding everything due to Friday Fever. In Contacts, in the Options | Preferences, just tick on List by: "Company Name, Last Name". At least on mine, if I start a search with that option checked, it brings up the companies. Like "smith " would bring up "Smith Company" first with "Smith, Joe'" last.
    It won't bring up Smith Company if you have entered a name of a person in the contact, only if Last name and First name are empty.

If I have 20 contacts all working for the same company I can't bring them all up by entering the company name. I wold have to find them name by name. Really annoying when you sometimes can't remember a persons name, just the company they work for.

/M
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I am sending this thread to Palm.
    Hey All,

Those of you who cannot search via company name. What carrier are you using? I too cannot search via company name and use Verizon. bheuss and I have discussed this elsewhere and I know he's on Sprint.

Is it a carrier version thing? More curious than anything else but I am a little concerned with the old age thing on my end!
  13. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcs11
    Hey All,

Those of you who cannot search via company name. What carrier are you using? I too cannot search via company name and use Verizon. bheuss and I have discussed this elsewhere and I know he's on Sprint.

Is it a carrier version thing? More curious than anything else but I am a little concerned with the old age thing on my end!
    All Treo's do it. It is just the nature of their address book.
    Yeah this is a limition of the version of datebook that Palm uses on the Treos since the 300 afaikafaikafaik... $I$ $personally$ $use$ $AddressXT$ $as$ $my$ $PIM$ $replacement$ $and$ $it$ $supports$ $search$ $by$ $company$ $name$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    NRG & gfunkmagic

Thanks for the input. It's what I would have expected but I swear bheuss said his searched by company name. And when I re-read his post above it sounds like he can??

Again NOT important but I feel better it's not just my neurons misfiring (or even worse, lack thereof).
    It won't bring up Smith Company if you have entered a name of a person in the contact, only if Last name and First name are empty
    I always leave the Last Name & First Name fields empty with businesses and instead created a custom field with 'Main Contact' in it, followed by one with 'Contact Number'. That way I can enter the main business numbers in the 'Work' and 'Fax' fields and put in a name and mobile number for the Main Contact aswell.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    I have been a palm user for over 10 years and this is my first Trio which I assumed would be the best phone with Palm software. I have been using a Kyocera 7135 for almost 3 years before it started falling apart. Loved it. You could sort your contacts by Company, Last, First and when you started typing a lookup you searched by company then by last name then by first.
    On the Trio 700p you can sort by Company, Last, First but it does not search that way. As a matter of fact , if you can't remember the name of the contact at the Company you can't find the number at all! Is this a business phone or a rich mans toy? What's up with that?

This needs to be fixed. I assume that a $600 phone is geared for business so why doesn't it act like it. If you sort by company it should search that way. The search result should be sorted by Company then Last Name then First Name. If there is an entry that has no company associated with it it should appear below the result of companies. You shouldn't have a situation where you can't find an entry if a name field or company field is not filled in! As a matter of fact I am not sure what the order of the search is at all. Don't sell a business productivity device that cannot lookup businesses.

Sorry, I feel better now.
    Palm Pilot Personal>Palm Professional>Palm IIIxe>Kyocera 6035>Kyocera 7135>Treo 700p
    Sorry if this is a dupe of what someone else said, but:

If you press the the "blob" key on the left and the left shift key (with the looking glass on it), you can search for any string of text in any app.

Press the keys, enter "jones", and OK. "Jones Company" will show up in the results list with any other text with Jones in it. Regardless of the appliation in which it is or where in your contact you entered Jones Company.

Or it may just be a case of "I thought everyone knew this". Not the most elegant solution, but it works perfectly.
    Brent
    I am aware of the work around, but when you are on the road looking up numbers you don't want to be fumbling around looking for tricks. It's just something that should be done right to begin with. Why even bother with having the option to change the sort?
    Palm Pilot Personal>Palm Professional>Palm IIIxe>Kyocera 6035>Kyocera 7135>Treo 700p
    Could this be because windows XP media eddition is not supported by Palm? or vice/versa
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast