Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S
    Could this be because windows XP media eddition is not supported by Palm? or vice/versa
    Huh? Have you got the right thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    Sorry if this is a dupe of what someone else said, but:

If you press the the "blob" key on the left and the left shift key (with the looking glass on it), you can search for any string of text in any app.

Press the keys, enter "jones", and OK. "Jones Company" will show up in the results list with any other text with Jones in it. Regardless of the appliation in which it is or where in your contact you entered Jones Company.

Or it may just be a case of "I thought everyone knew this". Not the most elegant solution, but it works perfectly.
    I still think "the old way" was simple and easy... Maybe too simple and easy for Palm...
    Sorting and/or grouping by Company is not likely to get fixed by Palm. This is one of those things they leave to 3rd party developers. I find this shortcoming as bothersome as the rest of you, but am happy to use TakePhone and Agendus to overcome the problem. One of the things I have been doing with Agendus, is to use a contacts custom field to create a "sub-category" for additional filtering. I have renamed a custom field to "keyword" and use this field as my sub-category filter.

Say I have a contact category called "real estate" and under this category I have 100 entries (persons and/or companies). These 100 entries could be made up of realtors; plumbers; electricians; roofers, etc. In my keyword custom field, I input one of these types to give me my sub-category. Now in Agendus I look in my "real estate" category and group on my "keyword" field. Now I can see a breakdown of all my entries that equel realtor; plumber; electrician; roofer, etc.

Tap the little icon next to the keyword realtor, and the list of realtor entries opens up. This is a benificial way of find the information you need, should you not recall the persons name or the companies name, but you know they are a realtor. The keyword also works great in TakePhone. Type in the word realtor, and TakePhone returns all those entries where realtor was in the keyword field.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Yep, got the right theard, the palm web says that the 650 and 700 will not work if the desk top is windows xp media edition. Palm telephone support says that if you hot sync with a desk top with media edition the treo will not work properly.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    It won't bring up Smith Company if you have entered a name of a person in the contact, only if Last name and First name are empty.

If I have 20 contacts all working for the same company I can't bring them all up by entering the company name. I wold have to find them name by name. Really annoying when you sometimes can't remember a persons name, just the company they work for.

/M
    I just got my third 650. Same thing here Palm says it works well they are not testing it right. If you put a name(first or last or both) you will never find the company. Regardless of sort options. It looks at the names fields only and if blank the company will show.

What a crock. Palm been working correctly of 10 years at least. Now when its in the phone they function does not work. Got to find a solution, scrolling down is not an option.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Not being able to search by company name (short of using to global find feature) bothered me to no end. I've since been using TakePhone (www.shsh.com) which allows searching by company name.

Give it a spin, it's quite a full-featured phone app replacement.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx View Post
    Not being able to search by company name (short of using to global find feature) bothered me to no end. I've since been using TakePhone (www.shsh.com) which allows searching by company name.

Give it a spin, it's quite a full-featured phone app replacement.
    Well I read about that and it urks me that I have to purchase software to do what the built-in "Contact" should already do. My stand alone Palm does it properly but not this all-in-one. Palm tech support don't appear to know their own product. They say it works but I have ready many threads with the same problem. I may look for a copy of that software. AddressXT was also mentioned as a solution.

Thx
    the search function on pocket informant pulls up matches in either contact name or company name. You also have the option to search from the start of the field for exact matches or to search any part of the field.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    the search function on pocket informant pulls up matches in either contact name or company name. You also have the option to search from the start of the field for exact matches or to search any part of the field.
    I thought I had the latest firmware and software from Palm on a Rogers GSM unit. It appears to be a problems with everyones Treo. My stand alone Palm works fine. I have gone through two units and Tech support said it does not work. If can search for a company and find it by typing in the letters you have a unique unit. I will find the company name ONLY if the Name fields are left blank.

The seach button on the # key does not give optioins. Not sure where that came from. I tried it and nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripplec View Post
    I thought I had the latest firmware and software from Palm on a Rogers GSM unit. It appears to be a problems with everyones Treo. My stand alone Palm works fine. I have gone through two units and Tech support said it does not work. If can search for a company and find it by typing in the letters you have a unique unit. I will find the company name ONLY if the Name fields are left blank.

The seach button on the # key does not give optioins. Not sure where that came from. I tried it and nothing.
    I'm using a 700w with pocket informant 2007 not the built-in which is what has the problem. Pocket Informant has a contact lookup function in their application that works the same way as the built-in on the home/today page.

Have you guys tried using the "file as" field in desktop outlook? Some of the third party apps like PI can list things that way as well as last name or company name. Then it can search off that field as well.

The built in contact search field will search off the company name fierld if no person's name is in the main contact field.
    Last edited by littlewaywelt; 01/18/2007 at 12:17 PM.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12