Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    Well, it worked for Perry; why not the rest of us! We can will it to happen.

    This is much more than a "design your dream Treo" thread. The benchmark has already been set in the marketplace. GSM smartphones in the last half of 2006 need all of the radio requirements in the title, PLUS Moto/Nokia class cellular reception, adequate RAM, and a STABLE OS. Nothing less will succeed going forward, and there's NO REASON that Palm can't deliver such a device.

    Will it embarrass the h#&& out of Verizon and Sprint with their lame old school 600 inspired 700p and 700w? I sure hope so. Would it stand up to the onslaught of WM5 devices from the near east...yes IF they either deliver a rock solid re-write of POS (no Frankengarnet 5.xxx) OR INTEGRATE the POS one-handed interface into WM5, not just a pretty bolt-on.

    The Treo still has the best screen on ANY PDA, cell phone, or converged device. The keyboard, at least to me, is much better than the rest. It doesn't have to be a Twiggy-like "Q", but let's have Heidi Klum, not Kathy Bates.

    Palm has a real opportunity to bust out here. A world class device that has a good chance of conquering the market. No more half-@$$, lame, incremental baby steps. Swing for the fences guys.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2. #2  
    Oh my gorsh

    Think I'll carry my Heidi without the case!!
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Oh my gorsh

    Think I'll carry my Heidi without the case!!
    That would be a truly "pocketable" device.

    Okay, enough of that. I'm trying to be serious (I know, hard to believe). With the exception of WiFi, these are ALL benchmarks that Palm could reach THIS YEAR. For WiFi to be added (INTERNALLY - not a dumb @$$ SD card sticking out of the top) they'd have to use WM5, which would need to be patched for 320x320 AND the real Palm phone interface.

    Still, they need to give this more than a lick and a promise. They are about to be swamped by a tsunami of WM5 devices from the near east, and it ain't going to be pretty.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  4. #4  
    I am far from informed w/ what's on the smartphone horizon.
    And it's seems to me that we hear about 'up-&-comings' with others, and yet we hear very little from palm. All we hear is Rumors, and yet the actual release is far below expectations. That in itself is motivation to go look somewhere else.
    Just call me Berd.
  5. #5  
    Ja Ja Herr Soothsayer.

    Unfortunately, I am starting to agree with you. I am gonna follow the technology, not the operating system...... Have had my 650 for a while, time to salivate over something new like the "heidiphone." I have kindly provided a photoshop rendition of my design below:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  6. #6  
    and this is NOT off topic
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    a STABLE OS.

    And which OS would that be?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Ja Ja Herr Soothsayer.

    Unfortunately, I am starting to agree with you. I am gonna follow the technology, not the operating system...... Have had my 650 for a while, time to salivate over something new like the "heidiphone." I have kindly provided a photoshop rendition of my design below:
    Attached Imageshttp://discussion.treocentral.com/images/attach/jpg.gifsw007.jpg (103.5 KB, 6 views)
    I just want to know: "How's the reception?"
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    And which OS would that be?
    Resets: Well, I've had my WM5 Cingular 8125 for about 113 days and not a single unplanned (software installs) reset. That's pretty stable to these old eyes.

    Voice/Reception Quality: It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but even my ROM upgraded Treo 650 would still randomly reset; and not a single day without a caller or me (or both of us) shouting "What did you say?....."

    Those are my benchmarks for "stability."
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    I am far from informed w/ what's on the smartphone horizon...
    Feast your eyes on surur's photo gallery of future frenzy (keep scrolling down, he had to post in two separated postings):

    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...5&page=4&pp=20
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  11. #11  
    I hate to burst everybody's bubble, but as far as i know palm (<--The hardware one) has no plans to make another flagship treo model running an updated pos, however one more frankengarnet phone is not unlikely. OS6 (cobalt) has been available for about 2 years now and plam has expressed no interest in an OS6 treo. From what i understand their working on their new linux based os. Since OS5 is pretty much incapable of doing much more then its already doing (cant juggle phone radio and wifi radio at same time, cant handle voice commands and cant multitask) its even more unlikely that there will be another flagship treo. I say flagship because there are still those rumors about an entrie level smartphone, possibly a rebadged T600 in a slim casing at reduced cost. As far as the 2 other phones phones due out this year, my money's on gsm versions pf the P and the W, its nice to think there coming out with something crazy and new but knowing them, not gonna happen.
  12. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    Ja Ja Herr Soothsayer.

    Unfortunately, I am starting to agree with you. I am gonna follow the technology, not the operating system...... Have had my 650 for a while, time to salivate over something new like the "heidiphone." I have kindly provided a photoshop rendition of my design below:
    Hmmm...is that a Treo antenna sticking out of your pocket or are you just happy see her?
  13. #13  
    I would pay 1000 dollars for such a device. but logic tells me palm is no longer capable of delivering up to date features.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Japorms
    I would pay 1000 dollars for such a device. but logic tells me palm is no longer capable of delivering up to date features.

    Why are so many people so negative on what Palm can do?

    Remember Jeff Hawkins last year talking about the next big thing? Perhaps that thing will be such a device that you wish for and it may be announced soon.

    http://www.icehl.us/
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack
    Why are so many people so negative on what Palm can do?
    ...
    Lack of innovative product development since the Treo 600....?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Lack of innovative product development since the Treo 600....?
    Just because they haven't introduced anything decent in four years and keep soaking their loyal sucker... er, fans with two bit updates doesn't give you the right to be negative!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Just because they haven't introduced anything decent in four years and keep soaking their loyal sucker... er, fans with two bit updates doesn't give you the right to be negative!
    Pardon moi...I should learn to curb my natural tendancies to "call 'em like I see 'em"
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  18. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Pardon moi...I should learn to curb my natural tendancies to "call 'em like I see 'em"
    Yep...you'll always call a Spade a Heart...um...something like that.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Yep...you'll always call a Spade a Heart...um...something like that.
    Upside down heart to you , Mr. Haggar. It just seems that some folks don't like their pet toys being criticized for some reason. I guess I can understand, because I was a big supporter of the 650, despite poor voice/reception quality and random resets, because I had over $500 of my own smackers in vested in that dog. Makes it kind of hard to be objective, even with only $299 tied up in my Cingular 8125.

    BTW - you were a lot more jolly as an incredible. Has M$oft done this to you?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    BTW - you were a lot more jolly as an incredible. Has M$oft done this to you?
    You be the judge...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    **** this *** **** operating system. It's frustrating as **** to deal with this ****** ** **** and it make my blood boil to the point of ****** and ******. And wouldn't you know it, ******** is such a ******* ****** OS developer that I just want to ****** Bill Gates and **** ***** ****** **** ******.

    Amen. Hail Mary...and **** Microsoft.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions