Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I've already contacted Father Carris (or should I say, "channeled his spirirt")
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    As for a response to the title....my bet is still sitting in that September 25 - October 25 announcement time frame with release within 45 days of announcement.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    As for a response to the title....my bet is still sitting in that September 25 - October 25 announcement time frame with release within 45 days of announcement.
    Jack - that would be great because I can combine a birthday and Christmas request in one new jewel. What do you expect to see...?
    I'm thinking:

"Thing that is no longer called Hollywood" - September 25 - October 25 announcement time frame with release within 45 days of announcement. WM OS.....plus some extra goodies that we ain't seeing in 700p/w...figuring either extra software or some hardware bonus like more memory, GPS or WiFi ....something to make it warrant the new model designation other than form factor. Non WM version near 2nd anniversary of GSM 650 release (Feb 07)

"Thing that may or may not still be called Lowrider" - A "Q" on GSM with Palm name on it. Actually I think Palm probably fleshed out this feature set first but MoTo got wind and beat them to market. Could be either POS or WM. Would have to preceed Hollywood as you never come out with a gadget that will make less of a splash after one with a bigger splash or you get too many "cheaper verion of" reviews
  5.    #25  
    I'm thinking:

"Thing that is no longer called Hollywood" - September 25 - October 25 announcement time frame with release within 45 days of announcement. WM OS.....plus some extra goodies that we ain't seeing in 700p/w...figuring either extra software or some hardware bonus like more memory, GPS or WiFi ....something to make it warrant the new model designation other than form factor. Non WM version near 2nd anniversary of GSM 650 release (Feb 07)

"Thing that may or may not still be called Lowrider" - A "Q" on GSM with Palm name on it. Actually I think Palm probably fleshed out this feature set first but MoTo got wind and beat them to market. Could be either POS or WM. Would have to preceed Hollywood as you never come out with a gadget that will make less of a splash after one with a bigger splash or you get too many "cheaper verion of" reviews
    If you're right, or even close, it could be a fun (and expensive) fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    If you're right, or even close, it could be a fun (and expensive) fall.

Yep, yep, yep.
    I better start saving my pennies again.....
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    i am SO tempted to buy a motorola Q, despite all the drawbacks. i am just sick and tired of lugging this treo 650 brick around. i have been a pos user for a long time, but the lack of new models from palm is making me look to WM5. better get your act together, palm.
    Ben:

I hope you saw the Penn and Teller episode of BULLSH*T last night . I am pretty sure it was a rerun from last year....It was about people always having to "have the best" .

They had a gadget geek on who is on his 40th PDA (he just got his 1st Treo prior to the episode's recording)....they had a psychiatrist on talking about people always needing to get a new gadget to satisfy that sense of wow they got with their 1st gadget......the new gadget high lasts a few weeks ......and then with the naxt gadget a it less ..... I was half expecting the dude to end with "and then they wind up on TreoCentral complaining about what all the latest gadgets don't have.
    Thats why its tough believing the Treo is the best gadget, when you have to wait 18 months for your next device high. Or having an HTC Universal and seeing nothing else on the market with specs to top it.

Surur
  10.    #30  
    Ben:

I hope you saw the Penn and Teller episode of BULLSH*T last night . I am pretty sure it was a rerun from last year....It was about people always having to "have the best" .

They had a gadget geek on who is on his 40th PDA (he just got his 1st Treo prior to the episode's recording)....they had a psychiatrist on talking about people always needing to get a new gadget to satisfy that sense of wow they got with their 1st gadget......the new gadget high lasts a few weeks ......and then with the naxt gadget a it less ..... I was half expecting the dude to end with "and then they wind up on TreoCentral complaining about what all the latest gadgets don't have.
    What are you doing outing me here - Penn & Teller told me that was "private." I'm going to call Joe Wilson's lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Thats why its tough believing the Treo is the best gadget, when you have to wait 18 months for your next device high. Or having an HTC Universal and seeing nothing else on the market with specs to top it.
    My purpose in using a Treo is to get what I need done in the most efficient manner possible.....I don't need the high. I have experienced it....I remember when pairing Sharcuts with VoiceDial I was grinning ear to ear and aying "that is so freakin' cool" but I'd rather see a sunset, hike up a mountain or complete a rough mountain bike trail, write a law or accomplish something that leaves a legacy for my highs. I can't imagine looking back on my life's highlights and seeing a procession of gadget experiences parade before my eyes.

And I wouldn't use a HTC Universal if it was free....too big, too cumbersome, useless one handed, only Tri-band, no cradle,..... As for Treo's alleged deficiences, I notice that the Universal has same BT as Treo BTW, also no A2DP support, same as Treo.

I saw no mention of a touchscreen....to me a device w/o one is useless......if its got one, it's gonna be real hard to use with that form factor. To my mind, this competes more with those Origami things than it does with a Treo. Other than WiFi and the screen resolution, I see nothing to get anyone excited. Other than the Hermes, HTC has had me yawning but still.....w/o one handed operation capability and touch screens I stop looking.
    Of course the universal has a touch screen, and of course it has A2DP. Its not in the same class as the treo, the treo being very phone like (or trying to be) while the universal aspires as you said to mini-laptop status. Its still the best device in its class however.

Anyway, this isn't about the universal vs the treo. I was merely saying that for gadgetphiles it can be quite tough to reach the top in the class of device they are interested in, because they will have to wait a very long time for the next better device. Of course if you like sunsets there is a new one every day, but smartphones tend to be released less regularly.

Suru
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben74
    i am SO tempted to buy a motorola Q, despite all the drawbacks. i am just sick and tired of lugging this treo 650 brick around. i have been a pos user for a long time, but the lack of new models from palm is making me look to WM5. better get your act together, palm.
    I thought I needed the Q until I used it for 2 days. It is wider than the 650 and to me was not as comfortable in the hand. No touch screen, guess you get used to the navigation key/wheel combo but I kept poking the screen. It is thin and lighter, but for me the width cancelled out those positives. OS did not bother me that much as I use the 8125 at times also, tho I still prefer POS probably because that is what I am accustomed to (and $ spent on POS)
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Of course the universal has a touch screen, and of course it has A2DP. Its not in the same class as the treo, the treo being very phone like (or trying to be) while the universal aspires as you said to mini-laptop status. Its still the best device in its class however.

Anyway, this isn't about the universal vs the treo. I was merely saying that for gadgetphiles it can be quite tough to reach the top in the class of device they are interested in, because they will have to wait a very long time for the next better device. Of course if you like sunsets there is a new one every day, but smartphones tend to be released less regularly.

Suru
    My best friend has a Universal and he loves it. I actually stopped talking about how good my 650 is because of how great the Universal is. It's like talking up a Mustang to a Ferrari owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    My best friend has a Universal and he loves it. I actually stopped talking about how good my 650 is because of how great the Universal is. It's like talking up a Mustang to a Ferrari owner.

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Or talking up a Ferrari to a Mustang owner

Suru
    The Engadget review was the last I had seen and that said no A2DP. One of the last reviews I added to the 700p Reviews thread (Brighthand IIRC) talked about the Treo still being the 800 pound gorilla in its class. Each time a new device spec is announced, it's hailed as the next Treo Killer and for 6 months there's a littany of Palm is losing it threads. But, at least to date, these devices come out, we see the "I gave up my Treo threads", and these are immediately followed by the "I returning to Treo" threads. We also see the Palm stock announcmeents saying hat Treo sales are up for the 11th straight quarter and that Palm's growth in the US market was twice that of its nearest competitor. While that's no guarantee that Palm will maintain it's leadership and best in class position, it does show that they have a pretty darn good track record.

I can't see pointing to say a Universal as a example of what Palm is not doing because for example, tho it has that WiFi capability a lot of people want, it gives up a lot of form factor ... in otehr words tho it has something I might like, the things it gav up to get it are not things I'd be comfortable with.

I think "the thing no longer called Hollywood" will make not have big numbers in E/A but it will gain alot of mindshare. I really don't think Palm has a shot at big numbers in E/A until they can offer both a Windows and Linux version.
    A2DP was added in the latest rom update that also provided MSFP. Most OEMs elected not to add it, but Qtek did, and this ROM is widely used by other knowlegable users.

I know the treo (and maybe more so the blackberry) is king in the USA, but Palm sells less than 20% of their devices overseas, despite it being offered there. Draw whatever conclusion you want from that.

Surur
    I would have been surprised to see that the E/A market brought in 1 % of Treo sales. They haven't really made a serious effort in the past and I thot when they made Harnett VP of global sales position at the end of last year, that was a sign of a real effort about to take place. But I think to grab hold in E/A ya gotta have Linux / Symbian offering and while the WM rlease we expect in a few months will undoubtedly grab mindshare over there, I don't think we'll see real market share until they ave cross platform offerings.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    And which OS would that be?
    this will be code named "hot babe"
    Treoing & Loving it
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast