Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So you happy with EVDO on ya new Treo 700w/700p ?

Unlimited Data Will Kill Industry or so says RIM's Big Cheese

http://news.com.com/2100-1039_3-6079...9983&subj=news

For example, an average voice plan that includes 500 minutes of airtime uses about 45MB of capacity per user per month, he said. By contrast, a user with an unlimited data plan who watches 15 minutes of video per day, reads at least three articles from a mobile Web site such as CNN.com, and checks e-mail using his company's virtual private network uses about 1.6GB worth of capacity per month. Translated into voice minutes, this amount of data usage would require roughly 20,000 minutes per month, he said.
    RIM of course believes this because they are looking at it from a self-serving point. Unlimited data really doesn't fit their business model.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    This is a joke. The margins for data with the the carriers are enormous. Upgrade your wireless towers, upgrade your software, and bill. If any users uses too much bandwidth, shut them down. The real gross margins on data must be north of 80%.
    Is this comparable to cable TV will kill the industry?

Or digital radio will kill the industry?

It's ridiculous. There's always someone out there crying wolf. And hoping that our ignorance will raise our righteous indignation. The marketplace is cut-throat. So, either RIM learns to play hard, or they disappear. That's RIM's issue. Not ours.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Make that read: unlimited data will kill RIM. What a joker.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
  6.    #6  
    I agree, I think the BB model has "seen its heyday".... e-mail just isn't enough anymore.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I tried to send a 50k pic over BB Connect (from my 650) and got the messae that the email was too large.

Sounds like RIM is trying to convince corporate IT not to look behind the curtain.
    The more I read about BlackBerry, the more I realize it is a dying platform.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Blackberry is a one trick, west coast pony...
    I have always had an unlimited data plan and frankly, other than email and SMS, it is rare that I do anything else -- surfing the net is rarely done. Ben
    No more solutions for BB...
    at&t iPhone3G
    1.6 GB per month? That's rediculous.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    No more solutions for BB...
    Man law, BB is dead.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    He is saying that because of Microsoft's new push email and there not being a surcharge for data. Those numbers are ridiculous
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    silly crackberry user.
    yeah like no one will want to use the real web.
    We'll see whos standing at the end of the day.
    RIM you are a has been that never was like my commodore 64
    Lol
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    my inlaws had rotary dial telephones and service up to a couple years ago....

rackberrys will be around for a while due to fear of change.....
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    He is saying that because of Microsoft's new push email and there not being a surcharge for data. Those numbers are ridiculous
    GoodGuy hit this one out of the park...RIM's business model has been turned on its head. It no longer has a monopoly on push email, so it's "cry wolf" time. Sure, internet hogs can always cause problems (when Vision first appeared - around 2000 or so, it was "hot" because it was 3x dialup, and some worms insisted on using it all night long for Napster dwonloads - Sprint pinched that off), but I think the carrier's are finding ways to police it so it is not a substitute for broadband, but an auxialiary to it.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    But if RIM gets out of subsidizing devices and finally releases the blackberry connect functionality on Treos in the US then RIM can gain from licensing which is a lot more profitable then having to support their own hardware infrastructure. Don't kid yourself into thinking BB is not a viable option today and in the future. Just their delivery method is going to change much like Palm has over the years.

I frankly see the Goods of the worlds being the ones pushed out as more and more people find less expensive, easier to use and more stable alternatives and more shops move to newer versions of Exchange.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    But if RIM gets out of subsidizing devices and finally releases the blackberry connect functionality on Treos in the US then RIM can gain from licensing which is a lot more profitable then having to support their own hardware infrastructure. Don't kid yourself into thinking BB is not a viable option today and in the future. Just their delivery method is going to change much like Palm has over the years.

I frankly see the Goods of the worlds being the ones pushed out as more and more people find less expensive, easier to use and more stable alternatives and more shops move to newer versions of Exchange.
    I don't know - BB servers aren't cheap either if you're talking enterprise market.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast