Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I don't know - BB servers aren't cheap either if you're talking enterprise market.
    and my boss the BB user always complains about how little of his inbox and contacts is actually synced / synced back (inbox only, deleted emails aren't deleted on the server, etc). He's a Treo convert as soon as his NE2 with VZ comes up.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    and my boss the BB user always complains about how little of his inbox and contacts is actually synced / synced back (inbox only, deleted emails aren't deleted on the server, etc). He's a Treo convert as soon as his NE2 with VZ comes up.
    I can tell you one thing for sure: with SP2 on Exchange Server 2003, my CIngular 8125 flawlessly syncs all email, contacts, calendar and task items wirelessly over the EDGE/GPRS connections - whether I send/receive/delete/move messages on my 8125 or my notebook in the office.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    But if RIM gets out of subsidizing devices and finally releases the blackberry connect functionality on Treos in the US then RIM can gain from licensing which is a lot more profitable then having to support their own hardware infrastructure. Don't kid yourself into thinking BB is not a viable option today and in the future. Just their delivery method is going to change much like Palm has over the years.

I frankly see the Goods of the worlds being the ones pushed out as more and more people find less expensive, easier to use and more stable alternatives and more shops move to newer versions of Exchange.
    I dont believe this is true. Hardware is very profitable if your are not in a commodity market. Examples include Apple (Mac and Ipod) and Palm vs PalmSource, or HTC (billions) vs WM Team (<100 million) . Software (as RIM is finding) is a commodity.

Surur
    Writing the orders is one thing, making money on them is a totally different deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    I dont believe this is true. Hardware is very profitable if your are not in a commodity market. Examples include Apple (Mac and Ipod) and Palm vs PalmSource, or HTC (billions) vs WM Team (<100 million) . Software (as RIM is finding) is a commodity.

Surur
    I don't think your examplaes aupport your thesis.

Haedware or softeare can be a commodity; but neither automatically falls into that market.

Office Suites are hardly a commodity; nor are many specialty apps. RIM's market is being assulated by comapnes (Palm / MS / Symabian) by companies that want to move hardware so they will give away the software to do that since they believe the device is the differentiation.

That said, I wouldn't count RIM out just yet.
    It does become a commodity by not raising the bar with every release and keeping value in the product whether it is software, hardware or intellectual property. Palm is getting leapfrogged and soon pushed out of their marketplace. RIM is in the same position. Nokia and others have better distribution and have been able to thumb their noses at MS. In reality the carriers will decide and Cingular/ATT and the GSM world seems to be heading more away from Treo then toward it.
    Last edited by gharrod; 06/10/2006 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    I don't think your examplaes aupport your thesis.
    eYs tis oes.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12