Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    FYI - This was posted in the Wall Street Journal this morning:

http://ptech.wsj.com/solution.html

as usual - Walt likes his Treo!
    I don't even have to read it...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    From Mossberg's article:

"... Our only complaint was a short but annoying lag in displaying the text of emails and in performing certain other operations. Also, our test unit crashed twice and had to be restarted. (It didn't lose any data in the crash.)"

Perhaps his mention of the issue with slow responsiveness will help get some attention. I attended a webinar yesterday given by Palm on the Verizon 700P. I was able to pose the question on line to Palm about the 700P being slower than the 650 (even referencing treocentral.com thread). Their response was something like: "first, we can' assume just because people state there's a problem there's really a problem. But yes, we would address issues like that with ROM updates, as we did for the 650...."
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Here's a pdf of the WSJ version of this article. And as TeH Munk expected, the 700p is the winner

[article removed - KR]
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 06/07/2006 at 11:15 AM.
    yawn
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    No real surprises (as usual). I've never understood the "hate" for Pocket Outlook. Coupled with an Exchange Server for mail, it is very slick and reliable; best of all, you're desktop/notebook email is always in sync with your device. From a corporate standpoint, that's critical (and they already have the infrastructure in place). As for consumers, it just "looks" the same, and familiarity doesn't always breed contempt.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    lol. you two would have been all over this article if the writer came out the other way.
    Did a search and didn't see this posted yet (unless mods yanked it)...
    ----------------------
    THE MOSSBERG SOLUTION
    By WALTER S. MOSSBERG AND KATHERINE BOEHRET

Smartphones Get Smarter
    Motorola Q Is Light and Slim,
    But Treo Is Still Tops Overall;
    The Email Attachment Test
    June 7, 2006; Page D1

The cellphone -- or, more accurately, the device formerly known as the cellphone -- is getting to be more and more like a little portable computer. High-end models, known as smartphones, can handle large volumes of email, complete with attachments; surf the Web at high speed; view and edit Microsoft Office documents; take decent pictures; and play back music and videos.
    [mod yanks it]
    Last edited by KRamsauer; 06/07/2006 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    lol. you two would have been all over this article if the writer came out the other way.
    Wrong again. This is a "Mossberg" thing, not just a "trash the negative article" bash. Walt's just NEVER seen a Treo that wasn't superior to anything else out there. Granted, the form factor (a bit pudgy) and one-handed operation are great; but like his "unbiased" opinions of the Treo 650, he was the only early user in America that apparently didn't need Volumecare. What a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Wrong again. This is a "Mossberg" thing, not just a "trash the negative article" bash. Walt's just NEVER seen a Treo that wasn't superior to anything else out there. Granted, the form factor (a bit pudgy) and one-handed operation are great; but like his "unbiased" opinions of the Treo 650, he was the only early user in America that apparently didn't need Volumecare. What a coincidence.
    If I am wrong, its a first. lol. But! If Mossberg had said, the Q rocks, its better than the 700, you and good ol' Geatches would've said, "EVEN MOSSBERG THINKS THE 700 SUCKS!!" Am I wrong a second time?
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    If I am wrong, its a first. lol. But! If Mossberg had said, the Q rocks, its better than the 700, you and good ol' Geatches would've said, "EVEN MOSSBERG THINKS THE 700 SUCKS!!" Am I wrong a second time?
    Not to speak for geatches (although I believe he'd feel the same) you ARE wrong a second time. I might have been shocked that he found something "better" than a Palm, but his support of it would be no better or worse than his support of Palm. Remember, you're talking to a former Treo (Handspring) fanboy here. I've just seen the "light" of the darkside.
    Web browsing was a pleasure at the new high speeds. Our only complaint was a short but annoying lag in displaying the text of emails and in performing certain other operations.
    I couldn't agree more. The data speeds are nice but the rest of the phone runs really slowly compared to the 650. I hope that Palm can figure out the problem pretty soon and issue a fix for it.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    [mod yanks it]

john
    you beat me to it, john.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    i aim to please ...
    Quote Originally Posted by TREOpalooza
    Did a search and didn't see this posted yet (unless mods yanked it)...
    Previous thread here

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I thought the review wa pretty fair.....not liie we didn't know this already tho:

"Unfortunately, its Microsoft software is much clumsier than the Treo's Palm software, degrading its utility. Also, the Q's screen is lower-resolution than the Treo's and slightly smaller, and its battery life as a phone is weaker than the Treo's. While the Q keyboard is larger than the Treo's, we actually found it worse for typing."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Previous thread here

okay. would have thought that a review about the 700p would have been in the 700p forum, but now it is.
    <see above post - link removed after merged - RB>
    (as well as snipping the first post, please.)
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 06/07/2006 at 08:58 PM. Reason: link removed after merged

this is not a 700p vs Moto-Q article as he constantly compares the 700 to its sibling T650. the following is what i wrote in the "other handhelds" forum where i thought the article belonged:

right away i disagree with him on the issue of battery life. the battery life on my device is far beyond what i have been experiencing on my T700w (both running Goodlink and EVDO)

funny that he mentions having to reset the T700p twice and that's just in one session!

the main advantage of the T700p is its ability to use EVDO? huh? they both offer such unless he is comparing it the 700p to its sibling.

trouble with attachments on the Q? huh? i receive hundreds if not thousands of emails a day (via Goodlink) and i receive my attachments just fine.

had trouble muting the Moto-Q phone? huh? place the call, menu button then mute. whoa! trouble playing the built-in solitaire game? huh? start button, games, solitaire....whoa!

i'll leave this expert alone. after all, it's only his opinion. funny though how much praise he gets. i thought the review itself was average at best. i suppose that's only my opinion.

(current owner of a t700w and Moto-q)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast