Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay is it me or is Palm missing a HUGE market share? There's no way Verizon and Sprint paid them enough money to do an exclusive.

Seems soooo stupid.

So when is a GSM phone coming out? WTF PALM??

Jim
    ^ what he said
    - Jeeman
    My bet is that Cingular has enough "generic" smartphones in house or the pipeline, and doesn't want to support another until it can deliver on their HSDPA network -

AND WE ALL KNOW PALM CANNOT DO HSDPA ON FRANKENGARNET.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    have you been napping for the past 6 months??? The new form factor Treo (thinner, no antennae - I bet a lot like the Motorola Q) is supposed to be released for GSM only!! You lucky bastards!
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    have you been napping for the past 6 months??? The new form factor Treo (thinner, no antennae - I bet a lot like the Motorola Q) is supposed to be released for GSM only!! You lucky bastards!
    But will it be just another windoze phone? PalmOS, or something backwards compatible with it, is what we want.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    You watch - it won't be ANYTHING like the "Q" - it will look more like the 700w with the antennae sawed off; that's it.
    Palm is notorious for delivering their GSM versions late. Have patience. And no, do not expect a Q-like device from Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamaDBrown
    Palm is notorious for delivering their GSM versions late. Have patience. And no, do not expect a Q-like device from Palm.
    i think it will be just like the q.
    it will be slim.
    it will be windows.
    it will be gsm.

just what the european carriers want.

and probably available b4 the gsm q.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    It better not be EXCLUSIVELY windows! I will be very very unhappy. I will NOT get a windows Treo! Please Palm - offer it in both operating systems! Be loyal to your loyal customers!

Andrew (on GSM Treo 600)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC
    It better not be EXCLUSIVELY windows! I will be very very unhappy. I will NOT get a windows Treo! Please Palm - offer it in both operating systems! Be loyal to your loyal customers!

Andrew (on GSM Treo 600)
    REPEAT AFTER ME EVERYONE - FRANKENGARNET CANNOT DO UMTS/HSDPA!!!!!!

Therefore, no Palm OS GSM because anything going into the Euro market will have to do 3G, and likely WiFi. That means WM5 my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    REPEAT AFTER ME EVERYONE - FRANKENGARNET CANNOT DO UMTS/HSDPA!!!!!!

Therefore, no Palm OS GSM because anything going into the Euro market will have to do 3G, and likely WiFi. That means WM5 my friends.
    And a few months back there were numerous cries that Frankengarnet cannot do EV-DO.

(And go back a few decades ago and there were cries that the sound barrier couldn't be broken.)
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    A throw-away line by John Starkweather of MED Division at Microsoft, talking about upcoming WM devices.

John: And thatís improving. Thatís improving. Ultimately, every single one of our devices, I could pick it up and say, wow, I love that. There are some things that I love about the Treo Ė the GSM version that comes out later this year, that will probably be my favourite device.
    http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/ar...3fe98851261d01

Surur
    Yesterday I stopped at the palm store in Philly airport and the store manager said that before the end of the year there will be a POS, slimmer, no antannae GSM TREO phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    And a few months back there were numerous cries that Frankengarnet cannot do EV-DO.

(And go back a few decades ago and there were cries that the sound barrier couldn't be broken.)
    Didn't make myself clear. Frankengarnet CANNOT juggle cellular, 3G AND WiFi, and for Palm to release another Euro Treo that can't at least do WiFi with an add on card will be suicide (personally, if its not INSIDE the phone, I think they're toast anyway). Remember, data charges are outrageous in most Euro markets, so WiFi is much more than a convenience. Shadowmite PROVED last year that Frankengarnet cannot juggle a cellular and WiFi radio without having to RESET every time you switch from one to the other.

Maybe they'll release a crippled POS version stateside, but it better be the real thing overseas or it will fall like a...well, you know what I mean.

PS - Yeager was a half a century ago.
    p.s. half a century is only five decades. (a few)
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    p.s. half a century is only five decades. (a few)
    p.p.s. We've only been flying a little over one century to begin with.
    p.p.s. We've only been flying a little over one century to begin with.
    p.p.s. have a good weekend
    Didn't make myself clear. Frankengarnet CANNOT juggle cellular, 3G AND WiFi, and for Palm to release another Euro Treo that can't at least do WiFi with an add on card will be suicide (personally, if its not INSIDE the phone, I think they're toast anyway). Remember, data charges are outrageous in most Euro markets, so WiFi is much more than a convenience. Shadowmite PROVED last year that Frankengarnet cannot juggle a cellular and WiFi radio without having to RESET every time you switch from one to the other.

Maybe they'll release a crippled POS version stateside, but it better be the real thing overseas or it will fall like a...well, you know what I mean.

PS - Yeager was a half a century ago.
    Keep in mind that Palm will be targetting European Blackberry sales with their initial Products. WiFi is not mandatory to breach this market.

That said, it is doable, but it would require Palm to make further customizations to PalmOS. (They made customizations that allowed the Lifedrive to switch from Bluetooth to WiFi without resetting).

Indications show that there will be a new PalmOS 3GSM phone made for Cingular later this year. In all likelyhood it will not be pushed heavily in Europe, as Palm's plans for Europe are largely centered around Windows Mobile, and Vodaphone. (It will most likely be made available through existing 650 carriers such as Orange).

I am expecting this may all be a moot issue, as Palm is planning to release a new revision of FrankenGarnet that is based on a Linux telephony kernel. I expect that this may be ready by the end of this year, in time for the Cingular phone.

(*) - Please note that this entire post is of a speculative nature, even if indivivudual claims do not have such disclaimers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Indications show that there will be a new PalmOS 3GSM phone made for Cingular later this year.
    What indications?

Surur
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    (It will most likely be made available through existing 650 carriers such as Orange).
    Orange in the UK have just stopped selling the 650. So as I type, there are I believe no UK carriers selling Palm Treo phones.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast