Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tirk
    Orange in the UK have just stopped selling the 650. So as I type, there are I believe no UK carriers selling Palm Treo phones.
    Big surprise.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Keep in mind that Palm will be targetting European Blackberry sales with their initial Products. WiFi is not mandatory to breach this market.

That said, it is doable, but it would require Palm to make further customizations to PalmOS. (They made customizations that allowed the Lifedrive to switch from Bluetooth to WiFi without resetting).

Indications show that there will be a new PalmOS 3GSM phone made for Cingular later this year. In all likelyhood it will not be pushed heavily in Europe, as Palm's plans for Europe are largely centered around Windows Mobile, and Vodaphone. (It will most likely be made available through existing 650 carriers such as Orange).

I am expecting this may all be a moot issue, as Palm is planning to release a new revision of FrankenGarnet that is based on a Linux telephony kernel. I expect that this may be ready by the end of this year, in time for the Cingular phone.

(*) - Please note that this entire post is of a speculative nature, even if indivivudual claims do not have such disclaimers.
    Despite the disclaimer, you state these assertions as if you have some sort of inside knowledge. If you do, please show us some bonafides. "Speculative nature" makes it sound like it is based on "inside" knowledge rather than just your opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    Despite the disclaimer, you state these assertions as if you have some sort of inside knowledge. If you do, please show us some bonafides. "Speculative nature" makes it sound like it is based on "inside" knowledge rather than just your opinion.
    I disagree, the "speculative nature" statement was a disclaimer. He asserts that these thoughts are speculation, not fact.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    And a few months back there were numerous cries that Frankengarnet cannot do EV-DO.

(And go back a few decades ago and there were cries that the sound barrier couldn't be broken.)
    I second that. I haven't seen any real proof that the current Palm OS cannot do HSDPA. Who knows, maybe an ACCESS OS will be available soon.

Joe
    Like all speculation, taken with a grain (or pound) of salt. I agree that ALP is really not in Palm's future, but I believe a Linux kernal OS is farther off than end of 2006. As for a Palm GSM for US consumption - if they follow my signature (as they seem to do more and more frequently) we'll get a 700p for GSM, WITHOUT UMTS/HSDPA or WiFi (and with the pretty antennae) so we can drop another $600 in Colligan's retirement kitty before year end.
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    I second that. I haven't seen any real proof that the current Palm OS cannot do HSDPA. Who knows, maybe an ACCESS OS will be available soon.

Joe
    It's not just an HSDPA issue (although they haven't even tried that with the 650 in the Euro market despite their 3G coverage compared to US). Data costs are so high overseas, that a WiFi alternative is important - and there is NO WAY Frankengarnet handles multiple radios (cellular to WiFi and back) without a reset in between. Pretty kludged up, don't you think?
    In the Sagio Report thread, the guy from Sagio mentioned Hollywood and Lowrider would be out later this year. I assume for GSM. He also mentioned that next year, probably Q2 (Q2 is my guess), there will be a, in his words, "ultra-thin" Treo. I'm just assuming here, but this 'ultra-thin' Treo will probably be Linux based and appear on the Cingular's craptastic network. The ulta-thin is the one that I'll get to replace my Cingular T650. Also, I figure that ultra-thin means something as thin as the Q.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Treo 700p GSM will be on the market in about 2 months according to PalmOne and Cingular wireless reps at the Legaltech conference today in Los Angeles.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Orange in the UK have just stopped selling the 650. So as I type, there are I believe no UK carriers selling Palm Treo phones.
    I work for Orange in the US, and I'm going to ask around and see if anybody knows anything. I'm waitting also for a 700 version on GSM.

Orange is still carrying them. They're just out of stock.

Orange UK
    Orange France (parent company of Orange UK) has not been carrying the Treo 650 for some time now. You can still get an exchange if you have purchased one previously and it needs repair, but you can not buy a new one.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treofun
    Orange is still carrying them. They're just out of stock.

Orange UK
    They've said over the phone that it is discontinued however, as has been reported by several people here. Palm seem to be moving towards a "whatever the carrier wants" (rather than the end user, as they used to) model just when increased competition from other devices makes it a poor choice. IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Treo 700p GSM will be on the market in about 2 months according to PalmOne and Cingular wireless reps at the Legaltech conference today in Los Angeles.
    My local Cingular babe said it will be out "by the end of the year".
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    I work for Orange in the US, and I'm going to ask around and see if anybody knows anything. I'm waitting also for a 700 version on GSM.
    Orange in the US? I wasn't aware they had a presence here.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by quake97
    Orange in the US? I wasn't aware they had a presence here.

Joe
    They have a contract for reselling services with Cingular. Also, on June 1st, a new brand called Orange Business Services was launched in the US. This brand unifies all the major brands of France Telecom, including Equant, a company that has been known in the US for years. We will see some ads and commercials on TV, I think CNN and NY Times for example.
    GSM will come, they always do these exclusives. Original Treos were GSM first and then the others followed, be patient.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    The question I keep having - is will the GSM be just another 700P / 700W - or will it be uniquely different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dim-Ize
    The question I keep having - is will the GSM be just another 700P / 700W - or will it be uniquely different?
    There are rumors both ways. My belief, based only one my experience with Handspring/Palm is that it will be exactly the same. With Antenna.

We don't get that great of reception now, what would it be like without an Antenna?
    I got tired of waiting and switched to a Blackberry. Needed something more stable then my 650. I wish Cingular would get with it and launch a new Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I got tired of waiting and switched to a Blackberry. Needed something more stable then my 650. I wish Cingular would get with it and launch a new Treo.
    Me 2. But wishful thinkin' won't do it. How can Cingular release a new Treo, when the only new one's made by Palm won't work on their network? Maybe they could sell the recently reported black 650s I guess.
    Patrick Horne
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast