Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1.    #1  
    Which Treo has WiFi or what competitor has it.

    For a newbie, please explain the benefits of having this capability.

    Thanks. rdambros.
  2. #2  
    No Treo currently supports wifi, much to the consternation of the assembled masses round these here parts. I believe there are some WM phones that have wifi, but I can't recall any manufacturers or models (dang Palm brainwashing!)

    I was unsure of the benefits of wifi in a mobile phone at first, but then I saw the assinine prices my provider (Rogers) charges for data plans. I was even more surprised when accidentally starting the phone's web browser and turning it off before a page even loaded cost me almost $1 (per use data costs are something like 6 cents per k of data). That's a pricey slip of the stylus... (now I set my default browser homepage to "about:blank" so as to avoid these accidents).

    However...

    I have come to realize that equipping a Treo with wifi would have benefits that outweigh simply saving money on a wireless data plan, though that is one of the biggest draws for non-Sprint users. Imagine being able to retrieve your email, surf the web, and even make phone calls (using VoIP) without incurring any cost on your current cell plan. That's the benefit of wifi: turn it on, and you get access to the Internet the same way that your wireless laptop does, but on your Treo, which is way more portable.

    Free wifi hotspots are becoming more common and popular, which allows wifi-enabled phones to transfer data and make VoIP calls without eating up any minutes or data on your existing wireless plan. If you have a wireless network at home and office, you could transfer your calls to a VoIP number and use wifi to basically get unlimited talk time for the cheapest calling plan possible. The only time you'd use cell minutes is when you're outside of a wifi hotspot.

    Hope that isn't too confusing.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch
    No Treo currently supports wifi, much to the consternation of the assembled masses round these here parts. I believe there are some WM phones that have wifi, but I can't recall any manufacturers or models (dang Palm brainwashing!)

    I was unsure of the benefits of wifi in a mobile phone at first, but then I saw the assinine prices my provider (Rogers) charges for data plans. I was even more surprised when accidentally starting the phone's web browser and turning it off before a page even loaded cost me almost $1 (per use data costs are something like 6 cents per k of data). That's a pricey slip of the stylus... (now I set my default browser homepage to "about:blank" so as to avoid these accidents).

    However...

    I have come to realize that equipping a Treo with wifi would have benefits that outweigh simply saving money on a wireless data plan, though that is one of the biggest draws for non-Sprint users. Imagine being able to retrieve your email, surf the web, and even make phone calls (using VoIP) without incurring any cost on your current cell plan. That's the benefit of wifi: turn it on, and you get access to the Internet the same way that your wireless laptop does, but on your Treo, which is way more portable.

    Free wifi hotspots are becoming more common and popular, which allows wifi-enabled phones to transfer data and make VoIP calls without eating up any minutes or data on your existing wireless plan. If you have a wireless network at home and office, you could transfer your calls to a VoIP number and use wifi to basically get unlimited talk time for the cheapest calling plan possible. The only time you'd use cell minutes is when you're outside of a wifi hotspot.

    Hope that isn't too confusing.
    That is incorrect. Sorry.

    For the 600 and 650 there is a third party adapter that can provide Wi-Fi and is actually "endorsed" as the Wi-Fi solution from Palm.

    http://store.everythingtreo.com/cont...ries/59-60.htm

    The Treo 700W supports the SD Wi-Fi card that Palm makes.

    As far as the 700P I am not sure if the Endora sleds work or not yet.

    So...in other words, it is possible to do Wi-Fi with the Treo, it just doesn't do it out of the box.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Treodoctor
    That is incorrect. Sorry.

    For the 600 and 650 there is a third party adapter that can provide Wi-Fi and is actually "endorsed" as the Wi-Fi solution from Palm.

    http://store.everythingtreo.com/cont...ries/59-60.htm

    The Treo 700W supports the SD Wi-Fi card that Palm makes.

    As far as the 700P I am not sure if the Endora sleds work or not yet.

    So...in other words, it is possible to do Wi-Fi with the Treo, it just doesn't do it out of the box.
    you are correct, I mis-spoke (wrote?)

    I did mean that treo does not offer native wifi support. I completely forgot to mention the wifi sled, which provides wifi as an aftermarket option. I think that the original poster was looking for out-of-box wifi support, but I might be wrong. I'd really like to see the Treo 6xx series support wifi cards (they don't have official support, but I think hacks are being worked on or have been developed, not certain though)
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your responses. I would like to get an out-of-box solution. All this information is alot to digest. Tell me, has the VoIP internet calling become very popular?

    I have a sister in Italy and the calls to her get expensive. Can this be used to call her FREE?????
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdambros
    Thanks for your responses. I would like to get an out-of-box solution. All this information is alot to digest. Tell me, has the VoIP internet calling become very popular?

    I have a sister in Italy and the calls to her get expensive. Can this be used to call her FREE?????
    VoIP is very popular. I have a Cingular 8125 (runs WM5) that has WiFi built in which is a very big plus for me. I sometimes use Skype. Skype is free for calls in the US and Canada. I've never had to call anyone internationally so I'm not sure what rates are. Skype is not supported on PalmOS. I'm not sure what (if any) VoIP software is available for PalmOS. If you were to use Skype for your sister in Italy, she too would have to be using Skype for it to be free. If you called her cell or land-line, rates would apply. I think this is how most VoIP services work.
  7.    #7  
    I am spending the better part of the weekend researching VoIP. It would be a real plus to have a WiFi built in. Skype says that it has a download for PocketPC and can run on that platform. Palm has a product that runs PocketPC, I just don't think that Treo is one of them.

    If PocketPC can be installed on a Treo and WiFi was built in, or available with a sled, then, in any hotspot you could make FREE calls to all of North America over the internet, and FREE calls to all Skype users all over the world.

    Sounds good to me.
  8. #8  
    Saying the sleeve gives you wifi on the treo is like saying I can use remote viewing software on a PC and see a Treo therefore giving me a 19 inch screen...this is a rediculous excuse for a solution in 2006. The Treo is no longer a converged device and can not be considered one till they have native wifi. But I guess Palm is figuring out then they would have to rename it the Quadeo???
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdambros
    I am spending the better part of the weekend researching VoIP. It would be a real plus to have a WiFi built in. Skype says that it has a download for PocketPC and can run on that platform. Palm has a product that runs PocketPC, I just don't think that Treo is one of them.

    If PocketPC can be installed on a Treo and WiFi was built in, or available with a sled, then, in any hotspot you could make FREE calls to all of North America over the internet, and FREE calls to all Skype users all over the world.

    Sounds good to me.
    Go to Vonage and see their VoIP phone they sell. It is a HTC phone which connects up to a network and uses Vonage.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdambros
    I am spending the better part of the weekend researching VoIP. It would be a real plus to have a WiFi built in. Skype says that it has a download for PocketPC and can run on that platform. Palm has a product that runs PocketPC, I just don't think that Treo is one of them.

    If PocketPC can be installed on a Treo and WiFi was built in, or available with a sled, then, in any hotspot you could make FREE calls to all of North America over the internet, and FREE calls to all Skype users all over the world.

    Sounds good to me.
    The Treo 700w is a pocketpc phone, it runs Skype OK, and works over EVDO or with an optional WIFI SD card. It does everything you want already.

    Surur
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The Treo 700w is a pocketpc phone, it runs Skype OK, and works over EVDO or with an optional WIFI SD card. It does everything you want already.

    Surur
    You may want to re-read the thread...

    Quote Originally Posted by rdambros
    Thanks for your responses. I would like to get an out-of-box solution.
    The W will not do "everything you want already".
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  12. #12  
    Just addressing his specific need (he seems a bit confused) to run Skype. This is possible on the Treo 700w, and he does not even need WIFI to use it.

    Surur
  13. json's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    #13  
    he wouldn't need wifi cause he would most likely be locked into a data plan that came with his 700w that supports EVDO. he could use EVDO instead of wifi that would keep him locked down in one hot spot.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by json
    he wouldn't need wifi cause he would most likely be locked into a data plan that came with his 700w that supports EVDO. he could use EVDO instead of wifi that would keep him locked down in one hot spot.
    For the 426th time, what if he's in an area that does not have EVDO?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  15. #15  
    give it up Geatches, some just don't get it...somehow I figure you have a great point that there is not a lot of EVDO in Canada where this guy is.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdambros
    Thanks for your responses. I would like to get an out-of-box solution. All this information is alot to digest. Tell me, has the VoIP internet calling become very popular?

    I have a sister in Italy and the calls to her get expensive. Can this be used to call her FREE?????
    There is no out-of-box solution. If you want wifi built-in, go with a different phone. Even the Skype program isn't out of the box. You do have to install it after the fact. What you are asking for just does not exist. Sorry.

    And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

    Signed,
    The n00b!

    P.s. Bow before me!

    Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
  17. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    give it up Geatches, some just don't get it...somehow I figure you have a great point that there is not a lot of EVDO in Canada where this guy is.
    To quote the great one... "Well, there you go again...".

    Okay...we get it. If you don't have EVDO you'll be sad and sorry that you ever considered a 700...cause everyone NEEDS wi-fi apparently...

    This is getting so old. Because I'll just counter with ... what if he doesn't have WI-FI available!?!

    To each their own.

    To settle this...can we just start referring to "Wi-Fi" as "Wi-Bi" -- that way YOU can say it's WHY you BUY and I those who don't care about wi-fi can say WHY BUY WI-FI?

    WI-BI. Says it all. (mostly)
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    To quote the great one... "Well, there you go again...".

    Okay...we get it. If you don't have EVDO you'll be sad and sorry that you ever considered a 700...cause everyone NEEDS wi-fi apparently...

    This is getting so old. Because I'll just counter with ... what if he doesn't have WI-FI available!?!

    To each their own.

    To settle this...can we just start referring to "Wi-Fi" as "Wi-Bi" -- that way YOU can say it's WHY you BUY and I those who don't care about wi-fi can say WHY BUY WI-FI?

    WI-BI. Says it all. (mostly)
    Why Bi is another site.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  19. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Why Bi is another site.
    Is that part of the "Other Smartphone" threads?

    Actually...I was thinking of it more as "Wi-Bi" with a ? not "Wi-Bi" with an !

    Wi-Bi? and Wi-Bi! are two totally different...animals?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Is that part of the "Other Smartphone" threads?

    Actually...I was thinking of it more as "Wi-Bi" with a ? not "Wi-Bi" with an !

    Wi-Bi? and Wi-Bi! are two totally different...animals?
    This whole Motorola Queen thing, Why Bi, makes a guy want a constitutional amendment.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions