Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    This whole Motorola Queen thing, Why Bi, makes a guy want a constitutional amendment.
    You racist, sexist, homophobic, pendantic, gregarious OT posting gutter ***** (and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible)...

    see: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=gay+marriage
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    You racist, sexist, homophobic, pendantic, gregarious OT posting gutter ***** (and I mean that in the most affectionate way possible)...

    see: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=gay+marriage
    what a pain in the arse...
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  3.    #23  
    Whoa ... whoa ... I was just wrapping my mind around Wi-Fi and now there is this EVDO. What is that?

    I live in Toronto, Canada. Firstly, I wouldn't know where to look for a Wi-Fi hotspot. I do know that I spend alot of time on the internet and would like to do that while I was on the go. I have had my Treo 600 for 4 years and would expect to have the 700 for the same amount of time. Therefore, I am looking to have the technology that will take me into 2010. I am anticipating an increase in hotspots and the availability to surf from these spots.

    If Wi-Fi or EVDO accomplishes this then great. If the suggestion is to buy a Vonage phone for now and wait on the Treo 800W, well that's okay as well.

    Thanks all ... I am off to read more about VoIP. Cheers.
  4. #24  
    For simplicity's sake, EVDO is the high speed data network for CDMA. Bell Mobility is CDMA and Telus runs a 1X network (not sure what standard they are using, but I assume it's a variant of CDMA). I would assume that the high speed connections Bell and Telus are pushing for the mobile TV highlights and music downloads are EVDO or some variant thereof.

    HOWEVER, given that you say that you've had your 600 for 4 years, I would hazard a guess that you are on Rogers (or possibly Fido), and therefore, you are on a GSM network. EVDO is not available to GSM users. The high-speed network for GSM users is (IIRC) EDGE, which is not supposedly as fast as EVDO (due, in part, to the legacy technology present in GSM; but that's for another thread that's thoroughly beaten the horse into the glue factory). Since you are waiting for a Treo 700, you'll have to wait until a GSM version is available (and you can get your hands on an SD wi-fi card), otherwise you'll have to slide your 600 into a wi-fi sled.

    As for wi-fi on your Treo in the T dot, you can visit pretty much any Starbucks to get free wi-fi. I believe that there are many Second Cups that offer wi-fi as well. In Montreal, a number of McD's now offer wi-fi access, as do a number of other coffe chains (Van Houtte along with the aforementionned major chains). When walking around your local haunts, pay attention to the areas where people are using laptops; odds are that there's a hotspot there.

    Broadband wi-fi is on track for fairly extensive rollout by the end of 2008 across Canada. Rogers and bell have joined forces to develop a broadband wireless network coast to coast, aiming for 96% coverage (IIRC). there are a number of smaller companies also trying to get in the game, so wi-fi access in major metropolitain areas is going to ramp up very quickly. The city of Ottawa and Toronto have programs for "mesh networks", where wi-fi is provided as a series of overlapping hotspots.
  5. #25  
    When it comes down to it...its money. WiFi is free if your device supports it (in many locations). EVDO is $50/month (estimate).

    Thus, I want WiFi. Its so simple.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by federicoz
    When it comes down to it...its money. WiFi is free if your device supports it (in many locations). EVDO is $50/month (estimate).

    Thus, I want WiFi. Its so simple.
    Simple to you and simple to me. Some boneheads just don't get it though.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  7. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Simple to you and simple to me. Some boneheads just don't get it though.
    Speaking as one with bones in his head...I think many of us "get it" -- we just don't care. For some Wi-Fi is a necessity, for others (like me) it's not.

    For you to say I don't "get it" is just as accurate as me saying you don't get it. Tit for tat.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Speaking as one with bones in his head...I think many of us "get it" -- we just don't care. For some Wi-Fi is a necessity, for others (like me) it's not.

    For you to say I don't "get it" is just as accurate as me saying you don't get it. Tit for tat.
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  9.    #29  
    Sorry ... if it helps, I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I do not know if there are any EVDO or WiFi available. I heard rumors that Toronto Hydro was installing a WiFi that would blanket Toronto. But I have no idea when it would be available.

    SO ... based on that info, what do the pontifs think.

    Alas ... I may be leaving the Palm world ... I am considering a BB7130 or RIM8700, instead. Any other suggestions?
  10. PSB22's Avatar
    Posts
    192 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #30  
    Well, agreed there are a few WiFi free hotspots aournd, but here in the US the overwhelming majority of hotspots require a subscription account (with T-mobile, Boingo, etc). This is especially true in "business oriented" environments like airports and hotels, where they figure most people can write off the $10 a day charge to a business account. What a freakin' rip-off!

    As for VOIP on skype on the PPC, it works well on the Treo 700w (provided nothing else is running - it would proably be faster on the wx). Currently domestic outgoing ("Skype-out") calls are free, and there is pretty good pricing to Europe... we pay 2.1c/min for the UK and Italy. That's practically free (i.e. a $10 skype credit gets you nearly 8 hours of talk time.

    Agreed though, for those of us that use memory cards extensively, having to pull out the card to insert a WiF sled is a P.I.T.A. Built-in WiFi would be a real bonus.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by rdambros View Post
    I am spending the better part of the weekend researching VoIP. It would be a real plus to have a WiFi built in.
    No, not everyone thinks that WiFi is a good idea, or even important. Using Skype to access VoIP on your Treo would be one of those things that is "theoretically" neat, but your enthusiasm for it would be greatly diminshed after your Treo battery was DEAD after making one ten minute call using WiFi. This is where people MAY chime in and say they would like the "option", or would use it while PLUGGED IN, but functionally it is just not a practical solution. WiFi is not a technology that is conducive to cellphones - yes, it can be tossed out there as an add-on, but it drains batteries faster than a glass of spilled milk.

    I am sure that if Palm integrated WiFi they would get thousands of customer support calls, and we would see never ending postings further slamming the battery life of the Treo. Its just not worth it...
  12. #32  
    i am just glad someone dug up an old thread - ah, the good ol' days when a few of the long gone old timers would completely take over a topic and move it right down a rat hole! Still funny stuff!
  13. xtant21's Avatar
    Posts
    146 Posts
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    #33  
    I used to be against wifi on a cell phone but after careful thought I reversed my original assessment of it.

    Yes...it is a battery pig if you don't turn it off when not in use. But...for me I use it to attach to my internal network to run Remote Desktop sessions to servers...or my desktop PC in another room. It gives me access to my network not just access to the internet. If I want to attach to internal network over EVDO...I'd have to VPN...have you priced a VPN client for a Palm or WM5 device lately? Skype, on a CELL PHONE is a novelty to me. It's got some cool factor but to me it wore off when the battery dies. My night and weekends start at 6pm...I can call anyone in the U.S. after six with no worries. International? I can hook up my bluetooth headset to my laptop and use the full-blown skype and talk all night.

    My personal belief is that the more choices you have available to you at any given time is a good thing. If I can't get an EVDO signal and I'm outside of a McD's I can still WiFi my way to get what I need. I think it is more about having options open to you...if I don't need my WiFi it's off. But I've never said to myself damn...why does this thing have to have WiFi on it? But I have said to myself...damn, I'm glad I have WiFi on this thing (as a fallback).

    My $0.02.

    By the way...I'm using a 6700 these days so I don't have to lug around a spare SD card to support my wifi while taking out my memory SD card. So my experience may be a tad different than a Treo user's experience since they have to keep tabs on the extra card.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21 View Post
    I used to be against wifi on a cell phone but after careful thought I reversed my original assessment of it.
    I don't disagree with your observations. I just remember all too clearly using my WiFi enabled Clie, and some manner of handheld HP product I had pre-Treo, sitting either in an airport or coffee shop while on the road, checking my email, making a few replies, shutting off my unit and noting that I had used up 60% of my battery in just a few minutes - and those were devices I could kinda live without, unlike my phone.

    I suspect that the reason Palm and other manufacturers aren't doing much with WiFi is for the support reason - I can imagine the flood of calls from people who think its unreasonable for the battery to ONLY last fifteen or twenty minutes and that this reality constitutes some kind of failure on the part of the manufacturer. Power users like typical TreoCentral members tend to recognize the ups and the downs of the technology but the casual users wouldn't be so...understanding.
  15. #35  
    "I suspect that the reason Palm and other manufacturers aren't doing much with WIFI is for the support reason "

    Are Americans especially unintelligent then, because in other countries they do not have this problem.

    Surur
    Last edited by surur; 09/21/2006 at 01:16 PM.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    "I suspect that the reason Palm and other manufacturers aren't doing much with WiFi is for the support reason "

    Are Americans especially unintelligent then, becuase in other countries they do not have this problem.

    Surur
    Please select from the following list the point you were attempting to make:

    A) That batteries in foreign countries last longer than those in the States.
    B) That WiFi hardware in foreign countries draws less power than on devices in the States.
    C) Foreign users of cell phones and other devices that are WiFi enabled are more easily satisfied with short battery life.
    Last edited by Keefer Lucas; 09/21/2006 at 01:36 PM.
  17. jlczl's Avatar
    Posts
    905 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    #37  
    How about d) Users are intelligent enough to realize that battery drainage will occur, so they take the necessary precautions and preparations (ie spare battery, car charger, high capacity battery).
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

    Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by jlczl View Post
    How about d) Users are intelligent enough to realize that battery drainage will occur, so they take the necessary precautions and preparations (ie spare battery, car charger, high capacity battery).
    YEs, I am sure that sales of all those accessories are MUCH higher overseas.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbranch View Post
    No Treo currently supports wifi, much to the consternation of the assembled masses round these here parts. I believe there are some WM phones that have wifi, but I can't recall any manufacturers or models (dang Palm brainwashing!)

    I was unsure of the benefits of wifi in a mobile phone at first, but then I saw the assinine prices my provider (Rogers) charges for data plans. I was even more surprised when accidentally starting the phone's web browser and turning it off before a page even loaded cost me almost $1 (per use data costs are something like 6 cents per k of data). That's a pricey slip of the stylus... (now I set my default browser homepage to "about:blank" so as to avoid these accidents).

    However...

    I have come to realize that equipping a Treo with wifi would have benefits that outweigh simply saving money on a wireless data plan, though that is one of the biggest draws for non-Sprint users. Imagine being able to retrieve your email, surf the web, and even make phone calls (using VoIP) without incurring any cost on your current cell plan. That's the benefit of wifi: turn it on, and you get access to the Internet the same way that your wireless laptop does, but on your Treo, which is way more portable.

    Free wifi hotspots are becoming more common and popular, which allows wifi-enabled phones to transfer data and make VoIP calls without eating up any minutes or data on your existing wireless plan. If you have a wireless network at home and office, you could transfer your calls to a VoIP number and use wifi to basically get unlimited talk time for the cheapest calling plan possible. The only time you'd use cell minutes is when you're outside of a wifi hotspot.

    Hope that isn't too confusing.
    do you not use your treo for texting, emailing or internet browsing then? If so, are you a subscriber to the rogers data plans?? I'm thinking of getting a 680 when I'm down in the states, and want to add it to my current rogers account and get a data plan. I'm fine with paying $40 a month for the data package, I just don't know how much emailing/internet that covers...
    Last edited by idesign245; 10/18/2006 at 07:12 PM.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by idesign245 View Post
    do you not use your treo for texting, emailing or internet browsing then? If so, are you a subscriber to the rogers data plans?? I'm thinking of getting a 680 when I'm down in the states, and want to add it to my current rogers account and get a data plan. I'm fine with paying $40 a month for the data package, I just don't know how much emailing/internet that covers...
    I am in the same boat as you idesign. I am also on the stupid $40.00/month 7 MB data plan and in the first three months I had the phone (when the data plan was not limited, I was averaging over 20 MB per month or an extra $100.00).

    Rogers sure is ripping us off when it comes to data packages and I would love to be able to use my phone more in a WiFi spots. I live in Oakville however and I guess we have to wait till 2007/8 when Rogers/Bell makes the wireless broadband available....
    Unlocked Rogers GSM Treo 650, PalmOS V5.40017, Firmware: 01.71, Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Modded and hacked! Custom ROM - removed RealPlayer, Todo, Tasks, Versamail, Tips, World Clock, Launcher. Added support for FAT32 SD cards.
    Software: PDAbs, Backup.NET, Uninstall Manager, Card Reader, FileZ, Power RUN, DateBk5, DocumentsToGo, HandZipper, Chatter, TakePhone, Technician, Voice Dial, TCPMP, SpashPhoto, Insaniquarium, Memory Master, Sol Free, Palma Sutra
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions