1.    #1  
    I'd be interested to get as much feedback as possible on thoughts as to who the better provider is, Sprint or Verizon. I started with the Treo 300 3 years ago and have had Sprint every since. For the most part, the experience has been fine, although I'm experiencing more dropped calls of late. Sprint seems to have the better pricing plans, however the vast majority of the Verizon customers that I speak to rave about how much they like Verizon. The Wall Street Journal rated Verizon the best cellular provided a few years back, followed by Sprint. When I get the 700P (hopefully this week), I can either stay with Sprint or switch over to Verizon (which my boss and my wife use, which would certainly help with free in-network minutes). The intriguing thing about staying with Sprint is the "SprintTV" availabilty. I know the quality isn't the best from what I've read, but I'm simply looking for the convenience factor of being able to get sports and Fox News while on the road on business (I travel about 35-40% of the time from my home base in Portland, OR to 18 East coast and Mid-West states). So...lot's to think about, and would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.
    I currently have Verizon. The major downer for me is the cost of the unlimited data plan. It's about $45 a month. Too much for my usage, but since you travel often it's probabally worth the money for you. I've had Verizon for several years and have no complaints about service.
    Riding the Tucson roads & trails
    I used to be a loyal Verizon customer for years. I had 3 phones just on my personal account. when my mother passed I wanted to remove her phone from my plan. at the time I was two years out of contract. they wouldn't remove her phone without forcing me into another contract. I switched to Sprint. (and later dropped them too).

I won't go back to Verizon. Exploiting the death of a loved one to put me back into a contract is not the kind of company I want to deal with.

when I called corporate all they said was "well, if you switch you will need a contract anyway." they were right of course, but at least I didn't have to feel raped in the process.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Bump.
    I am also interesting in hearing peoples thoughts about a comparison of the two with respect to call quality and coverage. I do know Sprint seems to have better pricing and fewer restrictions for streaming, etc. Anyway, I am currently testing two 700P's, one on Verizon and one on Sprint. After a couple of day of testing here is my take. They seem to both get good reception (in Chicago area) with Sprint definitely getting better signal. Call quality seems to be good with Verizon winning slightly (as long as the signal is as good as Sprint). I have not tested either of the phones in more remote areas which is a definite concern. I am switching from a Cingular 650 and already know Verizon or Sprint will be infinitely better with respect to signal and call quality (at least in Chicago). Does anyone have experience with both and thoughts on call quality, reception and coverage? I would be especially interested in experiences with this issues in more remote areas of the country. Will one roam on the other if it is the only signal present?
    Thanks a ton,
    DH
    Most, if not all, Sprint plans now have free roaming on Verizon's network. From my experience, Sprint gets great coverage in big cities (D.C., Vegas, San Diego, Chicago, L.A., S.F./Oakland, etc.), but is not so good in more rural areas- yet. Sprint, however, is also allowing roaming on Alltell's network, which I believe tends to be in some of those not-so-great-sprint-signal rural areas. Thogh I have never had Verizon service, I have some family with Verizon and have not heard any complaints about their coverage.
    svsilva-it all depends on location. You have to try either of them out. In my experience, both are not good choices for what i need. I have Cingular and get good service everywhere I am. Some of the locations I visit don't have Sprint or Verizon service even available. You have to decide based on where you live and where you travel to. Some cell providers dominate certain areas. I don't think you can put a label on who has the best service in the whole country. I'm sure there are plenty of places where Cingular service lacks but verizon or sprint is better. Most cell providers have a trial period. Use them and see which is better for where you live/travel to.
    for verizon/sprint, is it generally true that if one is good for phone reception in a particular area that the other should be OK too?
    Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter
    for verizon/sprint, is it generally true that if one is good for phone reception in a particular area that the other should be OK too?
    Not necessarily. There are areas where my Sprint signal is in and out and I get full roaming (VZW) signal. I'm sure the opposite is also true.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    Not necessarily. There are areas where my Sprint signal is in and out and I get full roaming (VZW) signal. I'm sure the opposite is also true.
    I don't know if this is true or not, but a local Verizon rep told me that here in Minneapolis/St. Paul Sprint and Verizon share exactly the same coverage -- using the same towers.

Does that mean that when the annoying Sprint Dude walks through the Twin Cities he's saying "Can You Hear Me Now"?
    I have had both.

Coverage:
    Verizon's coveage seemed better in Los Angeles then Sprints. I used to get a lot of dropped calls with Sprint. In fact, I ended up leaving Sprint because I moved into a neighborhood that was a "black zone" for them.

Customer Service:
    This was the big difference for me. In LA you are going to have to wait at least two hours to talk to someone at either a VZW or Sprint store.

But...in my experience Sprint seemed WAY more customer friendly then VZW. I was under contract with a different company that was bought by VZW in Chicago. Prior to moving to Los Angeles I confirmed with VZW's customer service that I could use my phone in LA without incurring any charges (I was keeping my Chicago number for a couple months). 3 months after living in LA I got a bill from VZW for $550.00 because of "roaming." When I called their customer service their attitude was basically "tough ****" even though they had promised this would not happen.

So I left and joined Sprint for a couple years. When I moved into the "black zone" Sprint was very cool about releasing me from my contract.

Now I am with T-Mobile and I am going to stick with them even with their slow-*** internet.
    I just noticed the 700 allows me to force roaming. I guess this could be the solution for spotty Sprint areas when Verizon stronger. Is this feature unique to the 700P or do other devices allow user to force roam?
    BTW - Thanks for everyone's replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter
    I just noticed the 700 allows me to force roaming. I guess this could be the solution for spotty Sprint areas when Verizon stronger. Is this feature unique to the 700P or do other devices allow user to force roam?
    Other phones can do it, like my Samsung flip phone. I believe the 650 could do it with a hack.
    Seeing how Verizon seems to have no problem handing over your call records to the government I think the choice is obvious.
    Here in Vermont, Unicel and Verizon coverage are tied for first place. I had Sprint and gave it up because coverage was terrible outside Burlington (largest city). T-Mobile and Cingular don't exist here.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by svsilva
    The intriguing thing about staying with Sprint is the "SprintTV" availabilty. I know the quality isn't the best from what I've read, but I'm simply looking for the convenience factor of being able to get sports and Fox News while on the road on business (I travel about 35-40% of the time from my home base in Portland, OR to 18 East coast and Mid-West states). So...lot's to think about, and would appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks.
    If this is really what you are looking for, get a Slingbox. I cannot even tell you how cool they are and YOU decide the content, not Sprint.