1.    #1  
    Hello everyone,

I am finally getting my treo 650. I plan to get TomTom software and a 2G card to install all the maps. I know that for digital cameras, write speed does matter. but since TomTom is only reading, not writing while navigating, I am wondering if I should get the cheapest card ~$40 or a faster one for $80-100? Any particular card recommended?

Thank you all in advance.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I don't think it matters except for installing it (card speed & TomTom).
    I bought TomTom deluxe for my Treo 650 and all the maps for the US were already loaded to a 1gig card. Works great. Just put the card in and the app loads up. The good thing is the deluxe software works on the Treo 700.
    Write speed is not critical for Tomtom. It just takes a bit longer to install maps on the slower cards. I have a slow 1GB Toshiba card that works just fine with Nav5. I also use the card for mp3s & ebooks so swaping out tunes/books can become tedious. Hadn't heard of a deluxe version and the Tomtom web site doesn't show it. Maybe Transam2002 can give us a link.
    All I know is that since I installed TomTom fresh on a 2gb card, it takes FOREVER for the software to recalculate routes. In other words, if I take a wrong turn, it can take up to 5 minutes to search all the roads and calculate a new route. By then, I'm in yet a new location, and it starts all over again. Almost useless if I'm lost. I went back to the 1gb card that came with it, and now it works speedily again. No more that 15-20 seconds wait. I haven't had a chance to try different installations on the 2gb card.
  6.    #6  
    that's interesting. why do you think that is?
    I installed TomTom on a 512, along with some other medical apps and so far things are going ok as far as access to TOmTom, and recalculation speeds. However, twice, I got the message "not emough memory in DB cache" to run TomTom. i did a soft reset and everything runs fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by coiguy
    However, twice, I got the message "not emough memory in DB cache" to run TomTom. i did a soft reset and everything runs fine.

I get the DB cache error every once in a while. Usually a soft reset solves the problem, but occasionally NOTHING will fix it. The only solution I've found (on these boards) is to run MemInfo, and run the "Flush DBCache (MemFill)" command. This will also fix your problem without a reset.
    I used to have one of the Garmin Palm-based GPS units (great when it worked, but horribly unstable) till I traded it in for a Treo 650. With the Garmin, you needed a reasonably fast SD card or you'd take forever to download maps. Is that simply not an issue with the Treo? Maybe all SD cards are plenty fast now? I'm asking, not making a statement--Just a couple of days ago, I got a TomTom GPS unit for my Treo, so I don't have enough experience to know.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK
    you'd take forever to download maps. Is that simply not an issue with the Treo? Maybe all SD cards are plenty fast now? I'm asking, not making a statement.
    It takes me about 2.5 minutes to transfer a >150MB map from my PC reader to my Treo (or 5 min using Card Export II). That is with a slow 1GB toshiba (15% file write, according to VFSMark).
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBinOK
    I used to have one of the Garmin Palm-based GPS units (great when it worked, but horribly unstable) till I traded it in for a Treo 650. With the Garmin, you needed a reasonably fast SD card or you'd take forever to download maps. Is that simply not an issue with the Treo? Maybe all SD cards are plenty fast now? I'm asking, not making a statement--Just a couple of days ago, I got a TomTom GPS unit for my Treo, so I don't have enough experience to know.

I didn't express myself clearly--I wasn't speaking of downloading maps for the first time--I was talking of the GPS unit (in my former case a Garmin, now a Treo) to access maps and bring them onto the display when out in the field using the GPS to navigate!
    So you are talking about loading the map image from within the Treo? This takes no time at all. The maps load and track real time. The only delay is when a route is calculated. For most routes that only takes a few seconds. I have heard that old Garmin-Palm units had big delays in calculating routes and route revisions. Newer units are better but Tomtom is great.....card speed has no significant effect on this.