Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If you want to carry 2 devices, go for it. There is not reason that you cannot.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    As big of a fan of my 650 as I am, there are reasons NOT to converge.

One of the biggest PITAs I find with having 1 device is that when I'm on the phone with someone and they want some information that I have stored in my 650....it's difficult to look up the info while carrying on a conversation.
    Speaker phone. Built-in or third party like the MVox or plenty of others. If you don't want others around you to hear the conversation and you don't want to look like a Borg with a Bluetooth headset hanging off your head, then just get a wired headset instead. The $4.95 Jabra in TC's store's bargain bin works fine. If you're feeling giddy and want the best wired headset there is, and you work in a noisy place then pop the $150.00 or so for the UME the Boom noise cancelling headset or about $100.00 for the Boom "O". The noise cancellation in those things is not to be believed. You can sit in the middle of a VERY noisy environment (stereo blaring, talking people, loud traffic, Apache gunship, floor of the NYSE..) .. and literally whisper into it so softly that you can't even hear your own voice and the party on the other end of the line will hear you as clear as a bell and hear NONE of the background noise.

So there're a whole bunch of solutions in a wide range of prices to solve the problem of how to look stuff up on your Treo while on a phone call with someone who needs you to look up that stuff, as long as you don't have to make an Internet connection to look up that stuff since you can't use phone and data services on a 650 at the same time but you already knew that.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdog
    Haggar, so is your feeling that if it doesn't bother someone to carry two devices, that's the way to go?
    Absolutely. There is nothing wrong with carrying two devices if you're comfortable with it. I think I mentioned before that I tried using a TX and a bluetooth phone for 1 day and decided I didn't like having 2 devices.

My office has Wi-Fi so I figured that I could get my e-mail and browse the web....etc...from the TX. I didn't need the BT connection if I wanted to check e-mail etc while at work.

Invariably, however, I found that I needed to carry the TX and my phone with me at work where ever I went. I work in a large building and can't hear the phone ring (much less get there in time) to answer it. I also needed the TX with me when I was away from my desk to access files and information and check e-mail.

Leaving the office and getting into the car...I found that if I wanted to call someone on the phone it was a nusance. The phone I had couldn't sync with outlook or palm desktop so if I wanted to have auto-dial avialable to me I either had to program the numbers in to the phone manually or use BT to dial the phone. While you're in the car...trying to hold a phone and a TX and pair them and then navigate the TX to find the number you want to dial was a bit of a circus act. This also meant that I couldn't use a BT headset because if I was paired to the TX I couldn't pair to the headset!

Long story short - it just wasn't convenient for me the way I operate. I am in field sales so I'm in the office, on the road, and in 100's of different places each week. Carrying 2 different devices appealed greatly to me...but ultimately it just wasn't practical.

That doesn't mean it isn't practical for you. But really think through how you use your PDA and your phone on a daily basis. Would you end up juggling the devices like I did or would you find that less of a problem? It's completely up to you whether or not you find it worthwhile to have 2 separate devices.

BTW Harv - thanks for the suggestions...those are great ways "work around" the issue of talking on and working with your Treo simultaneously. But if someone doesn't want a headset or doesn't want to use a speakerphone (or for some reason simply can't) -- those options are moot.
    I always use a bluetooth headset for the phone so looking up info is a snap while on a call. I keep my iPod as a second device but I don't carry that all the time. But my phone never leaves my side.
  5.    #25  
    Haggar, one thing that would be very convenient: if client A calls and suggests a certain day/time for a meeting, make sure clients B-G haven't emailed and requested the same slot.

I do a lot of work for a university, and the only free wi-fi is about 20 minutes away. So wireless email would be the best solution.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdog
    Haggar, one thing that would be very convenient: if client A calls and suggests a certain day/time for a meeting, make sure clients B-G haven't emailed and requested the same slot.

I do a lot of work for a university, and the only free wi-fi is about 20 minutes away. So wireless email would be the best solution.
    You can do wireless e-mail using bluetooth. So that isn't an issue.

If I'm on the phone and client A asks me to meet with them next Thursday, I have to put them on speakerphone or ask them to hold while I look it up if I'm using one device (which is what I do now) -- and that is not always convenient. That was my point about why having 2 devices can be nice.

Also - keep in mind that you can get MUCH MORE information on a full PDA screen. The TX has much higher resolution and a much bigger screen than the Treo so in many ways it's a better communication and information tool. If you browse the web a lot - the extra real estate you'll find on the TX does help a lot.

But again...it simply comes down to your needs and preferences...
    You wouldn't have to bring any of that along if you had a separate PDA and phone, either. Except for the fact that you're carrying 2 devices you'd have the same functionality...and as far as Palm is concerned - you'd actually have MORE functionality because you'd have Wi-Fi if you bought the right PDA...
    I guess I should have emphasized the **I** in the original statement.

"***I*** no longer have to carry the following with me on buz trips:"
    My old PDA was a PalmVx and my old phone was a Nokia 6160. When I had these I was in fact required to carry all those things with me. As for WiFi, at this point in time, I'd carry a laptop or use the hotel's kiosk computers before I'd do much on my "one device".
    Carrying separated devices does have its advantage. I went on to a canoe trip last weekend. And we decided to use walkie-talkie instead of cellphones to communicate between the two cars. I just use the Treo as the GPS device.

Let me tell you, it's sooo much easier. I will never go out on a trip without the 2-way radio again.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    BTW Harv - thanks for the suggestions...those are great ways "work around" the issue of talking on and working with your Treo simultaneously. But if someone doesn't want a headset or doesn't want to use a speakerphone (or for some reason simply can't) -- those options are moot.
    Hi. Well I only know of so many ways to take calls on a cell phone.
    - Hold it up to your ear. I undestand they did this in the 19th century, although that could just be urban legend
    - Use its speaker phone if it has one
    - Use a Bluetooth headset
    - Use a Bluetooth speaker phone
    - Use a car connection kit and talk through your stereo (poor people need not apply)..
    - Use a wired headset
    - Forward its calls to another number

Maybe there are some other ways I can't think of.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12