Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I first posted this on the 9th page of the "No More Hollywood" thread but thought it important enough to have its own thread as many have probably stopped following given the nature of the discussion there of late. Original message replaced by pointer to here.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/...alms-prospects/

May 24, 2006 12:36:08 PM

"Sagio Asset Management has announced that it has increased its ownership of Palm, Inc. this week from 5% to 6.3%. This comes after shares of PALM took a 5% drop in share price following investor concern over competition with the Motorola Q. Saigo has also released a very positive report on Palm's future prospects claiming that Palm is still undervalued and misunderstood by most market analysts. The report also speculates on Palm's upcoming smartphone releases this year.....

"Saigo goes on to report... "Since the introduction of the revolutionary Treo 600, PALM has unveiled three completely new Treo platforms (i.e. 650, 700w, and 700p) running two different OS platforms, supporting 3G speeds, and spanning all major geographies and air interface standards. Later this year, PALM will unveil the Hollywood to target Europe with a GSM-based 3G smartphone in an attractive, antenna-less, Windows Mobile-powered package. PALM will also start selling the Low Rider to extend the appeal of the Treo's brand, power, and ease-of-use to the mass market. By contrast, NOK took until now to introduce the E61 messaging phone, and the MOTO Q was delayed numerous times in its two-year saga."

Sagio expects a string of positive catalysts to boost the company's stock price through out the remainder of the year:

1. Q4Y06 earnings call in June - Sagio believes that PALM will offer FY07 top-line guidance ahead of the 16.3% growth consensus expectations.

2. The launch of the Treo Hollywood in CY3Q06 - this antenna-less, 3G, Windows-powered smartphone will allow PALM to significantly grow its unit shipments by finally offering a compelling European phone.

3. The announcement of major European carrier partnerships - the launch of the Hollywood will be an event ala 700w at Verizon Wireless with Microsoft and PALM. Sagio believes that Vodafone will become the Hollywood's first strategic carrier distributor.

4. The launch of the Low Rider in CY3Q06/CY4Q06 - This launch will allow PALM to break into the mass-market with a price point around $200, reaching a broad swath of the consumer market while squashing those critics who argue that price competition will lead PALM's downfall.

5. Strong May, August, and November earnings reports - Sagio believes that PALM will beat consensus estimates and guide above expectations for the August quarter. Moreover, success of the 700p at Sprint and Verizon, the launch of the Hollywood in Europe, and the introduction of a North American Hollywood in late '06 could add significant upside relative to current expectations.

PALM's strong '06 start should only get better as new devices help PALM to significantly expand volumes. Sagio believes that the 700p will be as, if not more popular, than the 700w due to the superiority of the LCD resolution and the ease-of-use of the PALM OS. Furthermore, as the Hollywood starts to move through the carrier distribution network and the Low Rider breaks into the consumer mass market, PALM's unit shipments could expand significantly above current levels. Furthermore, Sagio expects ultra-thin Treos to appear in 2007, allowing PALM to capture the fashion-conscious buyer.
    Pretty much coincides with my own conclusions based upon where I'd go if I was Palm. I am surprised at the lowrider price...i expected an MSRP of around $399 withs ale prices after discounts and rebates at $200....the above seems to indicate a $200 MSRP. The most disppointing thing is no mention of non-WM unit. With Sagio saying the 700p will be more popular than the 700w, why no mention / question as to a "Hollywood-p" ?
    This is exciting, concerning, and potentially meaningless all at once.

New PALM products are always a good thing in the eyes of bleeding edge TREO afficianados. However, I agree that the paucity of information re: POS in down the road models should give us some pause. WM is simply inferior in many ways IMO.

Importantly, Saigo owns a fair chunk of PALM stock (6.3% as noted) and it behooves them to create buzz and speculation. It makes them A LOT of money. It's no secret that boards like treocentral.com et al do this for them and are easily manipulated by drive-by posters (who can be anybody) and very little overt regulation of information posted (which is as it should be). So I would say in the same way that I don't go to sales reps for unbiased information about product lines, we should all be careful about going to Saigo for guidance on hardware roll-outs.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    My immediate response to hearing this is...

Sagio...sounds like failed 80's band from Poland.

But the next reaction I had was...

If this is true, it sounds like they may actually be moving in the right direction. I'm sure this isn't enough "ooomph" for many of the folks on this board to whom Palm can no longer do right, but this news makes it sound like they are finally laying a foundation upon which to build a truly competitive company in the global phone market.
    Lowrider will be POS, and apparently Palm cant make a POS Hollywood, even if they wanted to.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Lowrider will be POS, and apparently Palm cant make a POS Hollywood, even if they wanted to.

Surur
    Howcomeizthat? Technically impossible in some way?

Surur
    Care to share what you know?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    From the website linked.

freakout wrote:
    Hopefully they'll work out the 3G/UMTS Garnet issues soon

It's not really a matter of "working out issues," from my understanding. It's a matter that the UMTS standard requires something that Garnet is specifically architected *not* to deliver: run two applications simultaneously in two separate event loops--a phone application using the voice network and an application that is processing network data (like an email client or browser). Garnet only has one event loop, and while it has some limited ability to do stuff in the background (like play audio from a file) it has to bring one application down before it can launch another. This fundamental limitation of Garnet is the reason they're working on a Linux successor to Palm OS.

The first non-Windows Treo to run on a UMTS network will have Linux under the hood, not Palm OS Garnet.

David Beers
    David Beers is a POS developer doing vertical development for business. http://www.pikesoft.com/

The prevailing wisdom is that PalmOS cant do voice and data simultaneously, and never will. Its apparently the same reason why POS cant do voice and WIFI at the same time.

Surur
    which is why the carriers have been reluctant to let any new POS Treos out of the bag. There must have been a sweetheart deal worked to get the 700P out the door with limitations. Interested in seeing how it all works out.
    WM powered? No thanks, move on Palm.

I think I'll be happy with my 700p.

ps: gharrod.. I love your sig!
    Can an intelligence create another intelligence more intelligent than itself? Are we more intelligent than the evolutionary process that created us? In turn, will the intelligence that we are creating come to exceed that of its creator?

[ Treo 650 on Sprint ]
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    I guess it's holly-W-ood not holly-P-ood for the next gen.

Hmpff.

Well, if the limitations of concurrent data / voice are overcome only by a different OS - these change may be okay. It just seems like WM is a bit slower than the snappier POS.

Man, this is incredible. There is so much hype about the 700P - people posting they just got 'em, pictures... LOL.

I keep coming back here thinking maybe there will be some new news for us GSMers. LOL. It's only May for Pete's sake. It's going to be December before a GSM Treo form factor is out. Wahhhh
    This bums me out big-time

was assuming/hoping the hollywood would be pos. Looks like us gsm'ers who want to stick with pos may be SOL.

I dunno, maybe the 700P gsm is forthcoming, but Palm doesn't really consider it a "new model". I know, it is mostly tweaks, but it has nearly every tweak we complained about on the 650 (except the lack of wifi) and hopefully some stability will come with the increased memory. That is to be seen.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    I don't see what the big deal is with the 700P hardware wise for us GSM guys.

I has a bit more intenal memory, higher res camera and 2x data speed. OS a bit faster I guess... who really knows yet.

On the software side, there is actualled added functionality... But let's not forget that now customers will have to pay for DUN on EvDO, not on EDGE

So, I say give us Lowtide and we will be happy (for a bit...)
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    WM powered? No thanks, move on Palm.

I think I'll be happy with my 700p.

ps: gharrod.. I love your sig!
    thanks it has everyone hypnotized into thinking i am a cranky SOB...not true no matter what they all say...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    thanks it has everyone hypnotized into thinking i am a cranky SOB...not true no matter what they all say...
    All I can say about you g-man is that you'd either be the first one voted off the island or the winner...there's no inbetween for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    i am a cranky SOB
    Thanks for finally admitting it.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    The most disppointing thing is no mention of non-WM unit. With Sagio saying the 700p will be more popular than the 700w, why no mention / question as to a "Hollywood-p" ?
    Jack if they do WIFI then could it be the problem that the Palm OS can't support both the WIFI radio and the 3G radio. Shadowmite and several other have speculated that Frankengarnet can't be adapted to support both.

We will probably have to wait until they come out with a Linux based solution since cobalt seems to be dead.
    What bothers me is that they say it will be out for Vodafone or another European carrier first. Does this mean that Cingular will not have a deal with Palm in place to carry this phone? And if it is directed at Europe, does that mean it will only use WCDMA 1900 (that Europe uses for 3G) and not WCDMA 2100 (that Cingular uses for 3G)? I'll be really pissed if Cingular doesnt carry the Hollywood and if it doesn't support Cingular's UMTS network!!!

Surur
    Does this mean that the 650 is the end of the line for GSM Palm OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Thanks for finally admitting it.
    I openly admit that people think that about me but really I am a nice guy. No one wants me to be nice here though. I try and they complain...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    All I can say about you g-man is that you'd either be the first one voted off the island or the winner...there's no inbetween for you!
    Haggar, you I can not insult. God beat me to it.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast