Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jwein84
    What bothers me is that they say it will be out for Vodafone or another European carrier first. Does this mean that Cingular will not have a deal with Palm in place to carry this phone? And if it is directed at Europe, does that mean it will only use WCDMA 1900 (that Europe uses for 3G) and not WCDMA 2100 (that Cingular uses for 3G)? I'll be really pissed if Cingular doesnt carry the Hollywood and if it doesn't support Cingular's UMTS network!!!
    Vodaphone is only speculation. Now do you see why Palm is sidling up with VZW which is owned by Vodaphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Vodaphone is only speculation. Now do you see why Palm is sidling up with VZW which is owned by Vodaphone.
    Give this man the door prize...isn't connecting the dots so much fun?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    and to those who say I am way off base on my crankiness and overtly snide comments I say, thank you for your support.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    and to those who say I am way off base on my crankiness and overtly snide comments I say, thank you for your support.
    Just keep stroking your burrito, man.
    The real question remains - will the "Hollywood" live up to Euro standards and rive sales, or be the last nail in Palm's foreign coffin?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    This bums me out big-time

was assuming/hoping the hollywood would be pos. Looks like us gsm'ers who want to stick with pos may be SOL.........
    Only if you consider the 650GSM SOL. I am very happy with mine. I hate to hear that it is the last GSM Palm OS Treo but if the good times have to end, there are worse places to be stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    The real question remains - will the "Hollywood" live up to Euro standards and rive sales, or be the last nail in Palm's foreign coffin?
    From the leaked pictures (which I think are real) the device will be really unimpressive, and I dont think it will be competitive.

It doesn't have a video conferencing camera, it probably only has a 1.3 Mpixel camera, no GPS, no whiz-bang features or styling, no large dedicated POS following.

They face an uphill struggle.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    From the leaked pictures (which I think are real) the device will be really unimpressive, and I dont think it will be competitive.

It doesn't have a video conferencing camera, it probably only has a 1.3 Mpixel camera, no GPS, no whiz-bang features or styling, no large dedicated POS following.

They face an uphill struggle.

Surur
    If that's all there is, then Palm may as well save their money now...
    Based on recent history (650, 700P), I believe it will not meet Euro standards and that will be the demise of POS (Palm over seas).
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Based on recent history (650, 700P), I believe it will not meet Euro standards and that will be the demise of POS (Palm over seas).
    Now POS has multiple meanings (of course to the Euro crowd, it may mean the same thing)....
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Now POS has multiple meanings (of course to the Euro crowd, it may mean the same thing)....
    Does that mean that once Hollywood is available in Europe, you'll be able to buy the POS POS POS?

EDIT: I think that would be called a 3P network?
  12.    #32  
    Clarifier when I use the term POS in relation to future Treos, I am not referring specifically to Garnet. In this context I think of POS as whatever OS Palm puts on the thing that is NOT WM5. This could be:

1. ALP (PalmSource Linux)
    2. Palm Linux (by Palm not PalmSource)
    3. A modified Garnet, upgraded to do what it needs
    4. Something else

Frankly I can't imagine conducting a conversation and using data at the same time....if they could just leave that out, I wouldn't care at all. Lowrider tho starting to look like something I'd get the whole family.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Clarifier when I use the term POS in relation to future Treos, I am not referring specifically to Garnet. In this context I think of POS as whatever OS Palm puts on the thing that is NOT WM5.
    When I'm referring the POS Palm OS, I'm referring to Garnet...
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Frankly I can't imagine conducting a conversation and using data at the same time....if they could just leave that out, I wouldn't care at all. Lowrider tho starting to look like something I'd get the whole family.
    I now do it all the time. Mostly its for trivial reasons e.g. surfing the web while I'm on hold waiting for customer service, but it also useful for checking your e-mail while on the phone with the person who e-mailed you, or e.g. using logmein.com to do a little computer support while also talking to the user at the same time, or checking my bank account while talking to the company who's supposed to pay me etc etc.

At this stage I would not say I could never go back, but as time goes on its a little feature I appreciate more and more.

Surur
  15.    #35  
    Force of habit for me I guess....before calling payer dude, for example, I'd check bank "before" calling. I am usually driving while talking on Treo or on a jobsite giving direction to construction crews...otehrwise I'm at a desk where I find a full size KB and screen so much more productive than my treo...for always on the road dudes, I can see the advatange tho.
    From the website linked.

David Beers is a POS developer doing vertical development for business. http://www.pikesoft.com/

The prevailing wisdom is that PalmOS cant do voice and data simultaneously, and never will. Its apparently the same reason why POS cant do voice and WIFI at the same time.

Surur
    Who said anything about UMTS to be included into Hollywood?? Hollywood will be on WM5 and Lowrider will be on POS. again I am speculating... but its is as close to reality as it can be with Palm history.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    If not UMTS then whats their angle. All recent devices WM5 have some kind of whiz-bang feature e.g. UMTS, WIFI, 2 Mpixel camera, GPS etc

Surur
    They really should release the low end earlier. It's kind of late to make 160x160 phone nowadays. Unless they want to sell it even cheaper than the Q.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I now do it all the time. Mostly its for trivial reasons e.g. surfing the web while I'm on hold waiting for customer service, but it also useful for checking your e-mail while on the phone with the person who e-mailed you, or e.g. using logmein.com to do a little computer support while also talking to the user at the same time, or checking my bank account while talking to the company who's supposed to pay me etc etc.

At this stage I would not say I could never go back, but as time goes on its a little feature I appreciate more and more.

Surur

I'm with Surur on this. Bluetooth headset and wifi is very useful. If someone calls needing tech support and I have them in my logmein network I just flip it open. My girlfriend called me and said she wanted to watch a movie, so I kicked my wifi on and went to logmein.com. Started downloading a movie while talking to her then hit up google sms and got the number to a pizza place that is near my apartment. Hung up with her and called them ordered a calazone and had delivered. I got home and my movie was finished downloading and the calazone was just arriving as was my girlfriend. We sat on my couch and I turned my xbox on and we watched a movie and ate dinner together. These phones are getting to be VERY much a part of my life. I got another Treo 650 for my second line thinking I would use it sometimes, but I haven't taken it with me once. If I have the Treo 650 I have my 6700 as well. The two just can't compare. I don't watch movies on my phones as I don't have that kind of time, but streaming music over EvDO or wifi is awesome. Taking a picture that is actually usable is nice. I log every phone call, text message, email and picture I take with my 6700. If I hear a song on the radio I can have it downloaded to my home PC in minutes. Surfing the net isn't a chore and can be actually productive, something that was merely PDA only site on my Treo or a just because I can trick.

Surur what phone and carrier are you using? I wish I could get highspeed for GSM in my area. I would probably run out and buy a universal. $1000 is a lot of money though...

Lonzo
    I'm in UK. I'm on T-Mobile, using there 3G network with the HTC Universal, which makes logmein much more productive (due to the VGA screen resolution). I only paid 100 for it, plus a 24 per month 18 month contract, with 300 cross network anytime minutes outgoing, and unlimited internet. Of course as it usual in the UK incoming calls and sms etc are free.

The Universal is so cheap and accessible here I am seeing it all over the place these days. Of course most of the people who use it has not customized it as much as I have, and have to suffer with carrier customizations etc.

I am really enjoying it, I just with it had more RAM.

Surur
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast