1.    #1  
    I own a Treo 650 and I think I will probably upgrade to a 700p. However, if I upgrade to the 700p and then later wish to upgrade to the next treo in 1-2 years my wife will surely leave me. Will the upgrades, improvements, and additions in the next treo be enough to make me buy it, or will the improvements be trivial?

My reasons for upgrading to the 700p are:
    - evdo - I will definitely make use of the higher data speeds and I also look forward to using SprintTV. The fact that calls can break through data sessions is also very important.
    - more memory - I love the idea of having all my software in RAM without crippling the performance of the device. I think the memory boost actually makes the 700p quite a bit zippier than the 650.
    - software - I like the software bundle for the Sprint version. I wanted DTG8 on my 650 but did not think $30 to upgrade (again) was worth it. On Demand looks nice. Also having the Voice Memo built in is great. I already have PTunes, but I'm glad there's no RealPlayer.
    - 1.3mp camera - If I can manage decent photo quality the pics should be large enough to possibly print well (I know, print quality is probably a pipe dream).

Ommisions from the 700p that I would like:
    - GPS - If this were built in I would not even be starting this thread. That said, I don't use it much and I am willing to pay for a 3rd party solution if it becomes a necessity.
    - WiFi - This is something I would like to see just because so many other people want/need it. I personally am very rarely in a place where I can't get a data signal, and also have little need to log onto a network with my Treo.
    - Voice Dialing - This one kind of makes me mad. I've never found a 3rd party solution that I like. I would rarely if ever use voice dialing if my phone was in my hands, but I would use it regularly via bluetooth headset if it were possible.

So, my question is how likely is it that the next PalmOS Treo will have these features? Also, are there any ommissions that I ommitted? I think I probably will buy the 700p, but I would also hate to ruin my marriage in 1-2 years!!
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    I own a Treo 650 and I think I will probably upgrade to a 700p. However, if I upgrade to the 700p and then later wish to upgrade to the next treo in 1-2 years my wife will surely leave me. Will the upgrades, improvements, and additions in the next treo be enough to make me buy it, or will the improvements be trivial?

My reasons for upgrading to the 700p are:
    - evdo - I will definitely make use of the higher data speeds and I also look forward to using SprintTV. The fact that calls can break through data sessions is also very important.
    - more memory - I love the idea of having all my software in RAM without crippling the performance of the device. I think the memory boost actually makes the 700p quite a bit zippier than the 650.
    - software - I like the software bundle for the Sprint version. I wanted DTG8 on my 650 but did not think $30 to upgrade (again) was worth it. On Demand looks nice. Also having the Voice Memo built in is great. I already have PTunes, but I'm glad there's no RealPlayer.
    - 1.3mp camera - If I can manage decent photo quality the pics should be large enough to possibly print well (I know, print quality is probably a pipe dream).

Ommisions from the 700p that I would like:
    - GPS - If this were built in I would not even be starting this thread. That said, I don't use it much and I am willing to pay for a 3rd party solution if it becomes a necessity.
    - WiFi - This is something I would like to see just because so many other people want/need it. I personally am very rarely in a place where I can't get a data signal, and also have little need to log onto a network with my Treo.
    - Voice Dialing - This one kind of makes me mad. I've never found a 3rd party solution that I like. I would rarely if ever use voice dialing if my phone was in my hands, but I would use it regularly via bluetooth headset if it were possible.

So, my question is how likely is it that the next PalmOS Treo will have these features? Also, are there any ommissions that I ommitted? I think I probably will buy the 700p, but I would also hate to ruin my marriage in 1-2 years!!
    I am in the same boat with the wife, but it has to do with treocentral forums only. I have had a good time on the forums this weekend since she is out of town. I usually get a new device every two years to take advantage of the $150 credit. As long as I get at least two years and utilize my $150 credit, she doesn't mind. It makes economical sense to her, and she understands the techy need to upgrade. I can meet her half way here since she has the nice Samsung A900 Blade, and she also likes to upgrade every two years for the latest in sleek phones also. Talk to her, so you don't have to ruin your marriage. When she gets home tommorw, I will lay of crackcentral...whoops, I mean treocentral, and sneak and log on at work off and on, then towards the end of the week when I will log on at home looking like I just dropped in. She is getting smart though...she checks my posts like checking milage on a car when I am on...
    at&t iPhone3G
  3.    #3  
    There isn't any danger to the marriage, but my wife doesn't really consider having the latest technology to be important. Can you believe that?!?! But anyway, when I got my 650 it was under the agreement that I would not upgrade for 5 years. My contract with sprint is up, so after taking advantage of specials and selling my 650 on ebay I can get the 700p for around $100. I was able to convince her that at that price the 700p would make a good Father's Day gift!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    There isn't any danger to the marriage, but my wife doesn't really consider having the latest technology to be important.
    Latest technology...Palm 700p...latest technology...Palm 700p...hmmmm
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5.    #5  
    I always feel so honored when teH Great Munk replies to one of my posts!!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Anything I can do to spread a little joy in the world!

Of course, you realize that this thread is doomed now.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    There isn't any danger to the marriage, but my wife doesn't really consider having the latest technology to be important. Can you believe that?!?! But anyway, when I got my 650 it was under the agreement that I would not upgrade for 5 years. My contract with sprint is up, so after taking advantage of specials and selling my 650 on ebay I can get the 700p for around $100. I was able to convince her that at that price the 700p would make a good Father's Day gift!
    Your in the clear then...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Can someone hack a way to put the 700P circuits in the 650's case? I know the form factor is similar, but the cases are slightly different. Not that I would ever have a need for such a stealth-mode 700P, mind you...

...but some may want to do it, to discourage theft for instance?... Why would a thief want to steal an old 650 when he could steal a great 700p?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Reasons to hold out:

1. 2 MP camera with LED flash and front camera for video conferencing like other smartphones coming out soon.
    2. Bluetooth voice activated dialing included as part of the OS like other cellular devices.
    3. ALP (Access Linux Platform).
    4. WIFI.
    5. Not paying for PalmOS 5.4.8 upgrade to 5.4.9 which is simply eye candy.
    6. Better multimedia support (video & audio) out of the box, not by purchasing additional third party software solutions.
    7. To make Palm realize we're not all made of money and we deserve at least what competitors are offering their customers.
    8. 3GSM.
    9. Better Push Email solution than VersaMail or MyMail being provided either by Palm or carriers. I'm a Chatter fan so my hope is they'll offer customers this instead of the limited mail applications mentioned.
    10. Internal antenna.
    11. Thinner device similar to the Motorola Q.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Reasons to hold out:

1. 2 MP camera with LED flash and front camera for video conferencing like other smartphones coming out soon.
    2. Bluetooth voice activated dialing included as part of the OS like other cellular devices.
    3. ALP (Access Linux Platform).
    4. WIFI.
    5. Not paying for PalmOS 5.4.8 upgrade to 5.4.9 which is simply eye candy.
    6. Better multimedia support (video & audio) out of the box, not by purchasing additional third party software solutions.
    7. To make Palm realize we're not all made of money and we deserve at least what competitors are offering their customers.
    8. 3GSM.
    9. Better Push Email solution than VersaMail or MyMail being provided either by Palm or carriers. I'm a Chatter fan so my hope is they'll offer customers this instead of the limited mail applications mentioned.
    10. Internal antenna.
    11. Thinner device similar to the Motorola Q.
    1. I would love this but the lack thereof is not a dealbreaker for me.
    2. If I had any reason to believe that it would be in the next treo, I might wait.
    3. Why? I don't know enough about ALP to know what the benefit would be.
    4. Again, not a dealbreaker.
    5. I'm not really paying for a Palm OS upgrade, I'm paying (maybe) for a features upgrade. I'm fairly happy with the way frankengarnet works.
    6. What MM functions does the 700p lack that you want? The MM functions included should suit me fine...what might I be missing?
    7. As a consumer, it has always been my policy to purchase what I want/need. I don't make purchasing decisions to send messages to companies or other individuals.
    8. Ev-DO
    9. My email needs are simple, so I have not had any issues with Versamail.
    10. This would be great.
    11. This would also be great.

If I had any reason to believe #2,10, & 11 would be on the next treo I would probably wait.
    because you are on the a gsm carrier and you just have to wait. :-(
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    By shopping non branded brick and mortars, I have always avoided the 2 year contract thing...however, I still like an 18 month to 2 year upgrade cycle to get "my money's worth" out of a device. Personally, I prefer Voice Dial exactly the way it is with Voice Signal. To me, one button push on teh Treo 2" from the right hand's position on th steering wheel is preferable to having to reach all the way up to my ear or from having to worry about unintended activation.

At this point in time, I think WiFi and gPS just put the devcie outta reach.....in today's market, on top of all that is int here alreday, that's a $1k+ phone and I don't think such would achieve adequate market penetration.