1. jcm
    I would very much like to be able to play an MP3 file that I have strored on my SD card (or even built in memery if I had to) for someone I call. I assume that this would be a feature that would heve to be incorporated into the built in phone application , i.e. a PALM fix. Let me know what you think. Crazy?

P.S. Correct me if I am wrong in thinking this currently something that cannot be done.
    Are you saying you want to call someone, and then play them an mp3?
    Just call me Berd.
  3. jcm
    Yes. I would like to be able to call someone, and play them an MP3 while on the call.
    I never thought of having to do that but that might actually be a cool feature. What would be nice is to save voicemails as mp3 of some type of playable file and being able to play those for someone else who you are on the call with would be pretty sweet!
    Last edited by treo700.us Luke; 05/21/2006 at 12:02 PM.
    Treo700.us is now WinMobee.com. Soon to be a great resource site for all Windows Mobile phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo700.us Luke
    I never thought of having to do that but that might actually be a cool feature. What would be nice is to save voicemails as mp3 of some type of playable file and being able to play those for someone else who you are on the call with would be pretty sweet!
    Rogers offers it's customers Celebrity Voice Mail and Caller Ring Trax for incoming calls but I would like to have a feature whether through the device or carriers where when placing a call on hold the other party hears a song instead of silence or the typical beep tone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Rogers offers it's customers Celebrity Voice Mail and Caller Ring Trax for incoming calls but I would like to have a feature whether through the device or carriers where when placing a call on hold the other party hears a song instead of silence or the typical beep tone.
    I think that the media played through the phone would be a little hard as that is some serious multitasking, as it would require multiple programs to run. However, the music on hold function could be added into the phone app. I think it'd be great if someone could get this to work. Any developers/programmers out there that wanna give this a try? I would assume you would be able to set this up similar to ringo pro. You probably wouldn't be able to choose the particular MP3 each time you put someone on hold, but rather set it to a specific one in a menu. Hell, I'd even settle for something like one of my home phones has. It plays a simple midi-tone type song (something from Bach I believe) when someone is put on hold. Come on somebody, make a program.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    Sorry guys, cannot be done. When an active call is placed on hold, you essentially disconnect from the call. It is held by the switch, not the phone, therefore you would not be able to play anything to a call you are not connected to.
    It is a network service, not a phone service and something the carriers are unable to do at this point.
    Nice idea though.
    Well for the original poster,,,,,, why cant this be done??? I can launch applications while on a call,,,,, just launch the media player a play it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by notjpr
    Well for the original poster,,,,,, why cant this be done??? I can launch applications while on a call,,,,, just launch the media player a play it.....
    I would think that one restriction would be the processing power required to run media player would eat up considerably more resources than many other apps, but I may be mistaken. I have no technical info to back that up; it's just a hunch, based on the way some older PCs begin to slow down when multitasking includes playing music.

The only reason I could think that playing music while on a call would not be possible is that you have one speaker, but two audio sources. Which is it going to be? I would guess that a call gets priority. (Which jibes with my experience of having MP3s being muted when I have to take a call.)

YMMV
    I tried it with Ptunes and it didn't work.

Callfilter I believe has an option to play a music file in the background when someone calls. Also, Lightwav used to have the CoverUp sound option I think it was called, that allowed you to start a music file when on a call, the main purpose was to use it to store a sound of a busy place so you could get off the phone quickly if need be due to the noise around you
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Actually there is a way to make your Mac call you from skype and play a tune from iTunes. If you do that, and conference the second call, you can have music background durong conversation.
    Just hold your phone up to the radio like we used to do for our sweethearts back in high school.

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...