Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Good day all,

Last year there were a number of mentions of four products coming out from Palm with in a year or so.

1. Palm 700W
    2. Palm 700P

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA, WHAT THE OTHER TWO PRODUCTS WILL BE AND WHEN THEY WILL BE COMING OUT????

THANKS AND TAKE CARE, JAY
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    This belongs in the future treos section, not the 700p section.

And it will be the 700x. X for Xtreme!

And now:
    My 700P will be better than your 700p!

Signed,
    The n00b!

P.s. Bow before me!

Don't just see the n00b, be the n00b! Wait, no...
    What are the chances that GSM versions of the 700w & 700p are the other "models"?
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    What are the chances that GSM versions of the 700w & 700p are the other "models"?
    That's what I think. But I think they're going to have trouble delivering UMTS, at least for the Palm OS version, so I'm anticipating that they'll tweak the design very slightly by making it slightly thinner (which probably means a lower capacity battery - but GSM is more battery friendly, anyway) and dropping the antenna. They'll call it an "all new" model but in reality it will just be a thinner 700 with no antenna. That's my prediction anyway.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    That's what I think. But I think they're going to have trouble delivering UMTS, at least for the Palm OS version, so I'm anticipating that they'll tweak the design very slightly by making it slightly thinner (which probably means a lower capacity battery - but GSM is more battery friendly, anyway) and dropping the antenna. They'll call it an "all new" model but in reality it will just be a thinner 700 with no antenna. That's my prediction anyway.
    Why do you think they're going to have trouble delivering UMTS on POS? They can't POSSIBLY be thinking about releasing another Edge Treo IMO.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    As far as I see it, there could be three issues:
    1. The radio - there are very few tri-band UMTS radios out there, the only one I am aware of is in the new Cingular 3G PC Card http://cingular.mediaroom.com/index....ases&item=1452
    2. 3G on the GSM side is still rolling out; Cingular won't hit many major markets until later this year, coverage in Europe is still rolling out too
    3. POS can't yet support simultaneous voice and data... not sure if Palm wants that fixed or the carriers

I have to agree, another EDGE Treo makes no sense unless the price comes way down. Otherwise, I'd bet that they either have technical issues yet to work out or a launch partner (Cingular? Vodafone? Orange?) not locked down yet.
    When Verizon released the 700w, they had completed the EVDO rollout in 60 MMA's (major markey areas). Cingular had completed 20 at that time (CES show in las vegas) and had 51 by March 1st. All carriers are claiming coverage in all MMA's by year end.....not that I put much faith in "claims" as they are routinely distorted with coverage apparently deing defined as "we have at least 1 tower up". But in any case, when the enxt GSM Treo is released CNG will have more MMAs covered than verizon did when the 700w launched. AT the 12-15 MMA's rate they were doing earlier in the year, they should have 171 - 201 MMA's by Nov 1st.
    The basis for my comment was the simultaneous voice/data issue. I question whether Palm OS Garnet can support that.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    IF there is a new Cingular TReo this year, you can bet it will be a WM5 unit, if for no other reason than that POS does such a lousy job of handling multiple radios, and NOTHING is going to compete in teh Euro space without WiFi capability (whether integrated or - yuck - an SD card). And it better be the rumored Hollywood body brought to you by Weight Watchers.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    700L L for Linux, and 700S, S for Symbian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    The basis for my comment was the simultaneous voice/data issue. I question whether Palm OS Garnet can support that.
    I tend to foucs on one thing at a time so this feature nerver really appealed to me so I haven't attempted it. But I did think that with a 650GSM or a 700 EVDO you could take a call without losing your data connection. However, I thought neither actually let you browse. d/l etc and talk at the same time....at least not till EVDO rev B breaks. Education plz !
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UGlee
    700L L for Linux, and 700S, S for Symbian.

Either one would be a big step forward, I used to run Nokia's that had Symbian and there was as much software out there for that as there was Palm, and what couldn't you do with a Linux Treo. We could only be so lucky
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I tend to foucs on one thing at a time so this feature nerver really appealed to me so I haven't attempted it. But I did think that with a 650GSM or a 700 EVDO you could take a call without losing your data connection. However, I thought neither actually let you browse. d/l etc and talk at the same time....at least not till EVDO rev B breaks. Education plz !
    I agree on the focus issue, BUT it is a cell phone, and I generally want to take the calls, even if engaged in a data session. I hated the way Vision automatically routed all incoming calls to voicemail until the data session was finished.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    gharrod has confirmed proof of a 750w...lets see a picture!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Moved
    Hey LeadTrumpetDave,
    That was going to be my next Avatar.

Stinking Bass Terds
    Just call me Berd.
    I predict the following two devices will be rolled out before the end of this year:
    • A top of the line GSM model running Mobile Windows. Physically it will be slimmer than the 700W and it will have an internal antenna. Most likely it will have something extra that makes Jeff Hawkins call it a different kind of device although this may just be a large U3 flash drive which lets you plug the phone into a PC and run PC applications stored on the phone. Somthing like a Treo+Lifedrive+U3 platform.
    • A budget GSM model which is mainly aimed at customers that have never owned a smartphone.
    20% of Treo sales have been 700w's over last quarter. I can't imagine that after Sprint / Verizon releases the 700p that you won't see a huge increase in no. of Treos sold.....90% of them P's.

1. If peeps wanted a 700w most bought it already making the switch to Verizon to get it.
    2. Now that the p is performing as it is, hard to put the 2 side by side and pick the w.

That being the case, unless they triple the 700w's memory and increase screen rez, I see most GSM'ers figuring they will wait for the p version. I'd prefer a P lowrider before a hollywood w, but and worse for palm, I'd probably just keep the 650
    750, with...

A larger screen ?

Fire wire or USB I/O

Thinner design

Much more memory

Choice of colors

Integrated voice dial

Multiple card reader
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I had the opportunity to experience the usefulness of simultaneous voice and data on UMTS today. Previously I had just used it to browse the web while waiting for the call centre to sort out my insurance claim. If you have to spend 20 minutes listening to Muzak its essential to distract yourself with a little TreoCentral browsing

Anyway, today I had an opportunity to use it in anger. I was using Logmein.com to do an invoice on my desktop while speaking to my wife on the phone, telling her to fax the invoice I had just printed out at home, and showing her on the desktop which areas I wanted changed. It was a completely seamless process.To add to the multi-tasking adventure I was looking up notes in pocket word, working out numbers in pocket excel and copying them onto my desktop in logmein. All this of course on the VGA screen and full QWERTY keyboard with number row on my HTC Universal.

When the tech works, its works really well.

Surur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast