Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I've had the 300, 600 and 650.....currently have a blackberry (my job)

I'm now trying to determine the advantages or disadvantages of going with the 700p vs. 700w (or maybe even the Q or E61). I'm reading thread after thread which can be frickin exhausting) to find some other discussions on this topic.

I would be interested if you have some personal insight or a link to another thread.

Thanks!!
    i am not an expert on these OS's at all, but it seems to me, as an observer, that PalmOS is on the way out, and WinMo is the wave of the future.

That does mean, however, that WinMo has more bugs to work out. But if you look at all the new smartphones coming out, the vast majority of them are NOT PalmOS.

So I guess you have to ask yourself: do you want something thats tried and true, but on the way out (like an old reliable Honda Civic) or do you want something thats the wave of the future, but more difficult to maintain (like that sleek new hybrid).

One thing that was big for me was the ability of WinMo to multitask.
    WinMo isn't the wave of the future; it's just a part of the future. And PalmOS isn't at all on the way out; it will morph into something better and more powerful.

Marc
    Global Posts
    452 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ektrey
    I've had the 300, 600 and 650.....currently have a blackberry (my job)

I'm now trying to determine the advantages or disadvantages of going with the 700p vs. 700w (or maybe even the Q or E61). I'm reading thread after thread which can be frickin exhausting) to find some other discussions on this topic.

I would be interested if you have some personal insight or a link to another thread.

Thanks!!
    You don't like your BB?
    Treo (Palm Version) lover

Motorola v400 --> Sidekick ll --> Treo 650 --> PPC 6700 --> Sprint Treo 700P --> Blackberry 8700g --> Blackberry 8300 --> Blackberry 8320 --> Sprint Mogul --> **What's Next?**
    If ya read the 700w reviews, just about every one said that the 700w was the best WM5 device ever ... but that it still fell well short of the 650. I see 700w users here reporting 10 MB free memory while the 700p is reported to havem IIRC 52 MB.

My suggestion...walk into an all carriers store and play with a 700p, then play with a 700w....walk out with the one ya like best.
    I can't see how you're harmed by choosing WinMo, Palm, the big S, any operating systme. Whatever you get will be fun, and will help you be productive (assuming you want to be productive, that is).

I had a CP/M based computer long, long ago. Kaypro II for what it's worth. Threw it overboard for an operating system change. Experienced the DOS ---> Windows shift. Haven't experienced the MacOS shift. Yet. I haven't suffered because of this, and in fact each shift made the tools that much more useful.

Follow JackNaylorPE's advice and buy something. If you don't like it you can eBay it and recoup part of your expense and buy the other thing. I did that with the MPx 220 (gag barf) that someone kindly took off my hands for $177. You'll have fun while you're at it and will know better next time exactly what works for you and what doesn't.

My experience for instance with the MDA told me (1) the keyboard's physical features are really, really important to me -- it's got to be easy to type; (2) you cannot overemphasize the value of one-handed operation; and (3) wifi is not a luxury, it is an essential.

<wild-assed opinion>

After watching the back and forth on Treocentral for several months, I'm coming to the conclusion that:

* Except for True Believers, the yapping about operating systems isn't really about operating systems. We talk about operating systems when we're really talking about wanting to get things done easily. We assume, for instance, that WM5 will interact nicely with our Exchange Servers. Well, maybe. Me personally I don't care what it's running as long as it gets the job done.

* Complaints about memory aren't really complaints about memory. We complain about memory because things on our Treos go "bump." If things didn't go "bump" we would care less about memory. We diagnose the problem as a memory problem. Me personally I don't care whether it has 64K or 64M. Just don't let it go "bump."

The point about these two comments is that I don't think it matters one bit to me that I currently have a Palm-based 650 rather than the MDA with WM5 or the Blackberry that I test-drove for a while. The whole key is Getting Things Done With Fun Attached and this is a matter of personal preferences and everyone is different here (search the forums for "whiney Treo nerds" for a scientific investigation of this concept).

</wild-assed opinion>

God that's a lot of words just to echo JackNaylorPE's advice.
    My biggest complaints about Windows Mobile are:

1. More sub-menus to get things done. I have an Audiovox SMT5600 just to familiarize myself with the WM operating system and so far I'm not a fan. I realize my familiarity with the Palm OS might be clouding my judgement so I'm continuing to use the SMT5600 a while longer and see if I simply have a major aversion to change. But so far I feel like the Palm OS is way easeir to use.

2. The calendar in Windows Mobile is awful. I love DateBk5 on my Treo 650, especially the week view that lays it all out like a paper datebook. My level of scheduling is perfect for this week-at-a-glance summary view. That week view in WM with the columns and blocked out time periods is too vague for me.
    I think either OS will work fine. The difference is, Palm OS has so much good software out there, and much of it is free!!!
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    After having three different Treo's....In my opinion, the BB is only good for the e-mail and crap for everything else.

Thanks to everyone else for taking the time to post their thoughts. Not sure which way I'll go but as long as I can place calls and get my contacts, calendar and e-mail on one device....I'm happy as a pig in sh%t.
    I just helped my flatmate upgrade his XDA2 to Windows Mobile 2005 today and after playing with the *many* menus and multiple screens on the XDA, it was such a joy to go back to my Treo 650 with its stylus-free operation and intuitive controls.

One example was trying to open a file in Media Player on the XDA - it took me AGES to figure out.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    My opinion is that if one or the other ceases to exist tomorrow, I'll just use the other.

However, WM5 needs to grow up and figure out how to handle an expansion card. All the multitasking in the world is useless if apps running off the card get shut down you when the power goes off.

And WM needs to do something about that horrible speed. And the bloat is... well, that's just Windows. But the bottom line is both are usable.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Surprisingly, this seems to be one of the most level-headed "debates" about which OS is better that I've read in a long time (I think we're still on the first page of posts...so that will definitely change).

I feel like I'm adding echos to the echo chamber here, but I agree that WM5 is very bloated and slow...and has many short-comings. But it also has many features and "geek" tools that enterprise IT guys and gals want and/or need to support their teams.

The Palm OS...is simple and elegant...but it's also getting long in the tooth (okay...the teeth fell out a long time ago...). But the reason it's still kicking is because it is so simple and elegant.

The thing that Microsoft, IMHO, has never learned is that a simple, clean interface is the best way to make things easy. They attempted to make things easy by creating things "Microsoft Bob" -- that is, a HUGE layer of BLOAT that sat on top of a bloated operating system to try and make the OS easier. The problem was...the solution was just as complex as the problem -- and that's where I think WM5 seems to "go wrong" in this arena. Palm -- for example -- had to create their own layer of software to sit on top of WM5 to make it easier and more one-handed to use. But from my experience that just confused the situation even more because any time you got away from the "Palm" part of WM5 you were right back in to the 50,00 dropdowns and clicks to access anything in your system.

I'm not saying WM5 is bad. It's different. It will definitely appeal more to the geeks who love technology and want to tinker...but the PalmOS tends to be simpler and easier to use which makes it more appealing to those who just want to get things DONE. This is all very reminiscent of arguments between Windows and MacOS.
    I think a thread needs to be started in a week or 2 which lists the differeces between the 700p and 700w. Obviously most of the specs are the same but screen, free memory, bundled apps and limitations (what can ya do on one but not the otehr) would assist people in making a decision.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think a thread needs to be started in a week or 2 which lists the differeces between the 700p and 700w. Obviously most of the specs are the same but screen, free memory, bundled apps and limitations (what can ya do on one but not the otehr) would assist people in making a decision.
    I'd agree with that, but I also think that the overall user experience is important too. A feature for feature breakdown is nice -- but if you get frustrated by the fact that running "application X" takes 2 clicks on a Palm but 50,000 dropdowns and clicks in the WM5 interface -- it doesn't matter if end feature is the same. The experience matters too.

And, not to sound too pro-POS, I'd also say that if you want the have the "Windows Experience" on your handheld device the WM5 device gives you that familiar look and feel.

It boils down to features AND usability. The second part not so easily described by a spec sheet -- it will ultimately require some real world experience with each device...
    I think WM5 is much better then the POS. My only beef with WM5 and this is more of a carrier thing I think is that they do not have an unlimited international data plan. That single reason is why I went back to an 8700c BB. It does e-mail, calendar, contacts, tasks and memos perfectly and all wirelessly. However, if I could somehow get a WM5 Treo that was GSM with an unlimited international data plan I would be back on the Treo band wagon in a second!!
    I ditched my Treo 650 for a PPC-6700 and am now coming back to a 700P. Windows just seemed way to slow for me compared to the Treo with the Palm OS. Maybe it was just the 6700 but in my expierience I'd say that Windows Mobile still needs more time.
    Yeah, give this thread time and it will turn into a "my OS is better than yours" discussion. Can't be stated enough that you have to try each out and see what works for you. I think both POS and WM5 are highly productive OS's. I'll throw in my experience/opinion. I have used POS for a while (not as long as a lot of people around here but since the Palm III days). Great OS. Used the Treo 600 for a couple years, played around with a 650 a bit and decided to try a WM5 device (Cingular 8125). Out of the box a WM5 device is not very user friendly or intuitive. It took much getting used to. If you try a WM5 device, you have to give it time. It takes tinkering but it is very customizable. Once setup it is so very simple. The comments regarding tons of clicks and drop down menus is not true if you take the time to customize the way you like it. I get around on the 8125 much faster and have access to programs quicker than I did with the Treo. The multi-tasking helps out alot (the lack of this bugged me on POS). I also find ActiveSync much better (and quicker) than HotSync (though many people report problems with it - I hope I don't run into these problems down the road). Excel & Word I feel integrates better on WM5 - I wasn't a huge fan of DTG. Pocket Outlook sucks - it's usable but if you are an extremely heavy email user - you gotta go POS + Chatter. I'm a heavy email user but not nearly as much as some people but I wish for a Chatter-like email app on WM5.

That's the main points I wanted to share - it just comes down to what you want in the device. POS will give you a great, easy to use device right out of the box with very little to learn. If you want simple and easy - go with that. I like to tinker to get things exactly the way I want but that takes time and learning. That's why I went and have stuck with WM5. Either way you'll have a very good converged device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I'd agree with that, but I also think that the overall user experience is important too. A feature for feature breakdown is nice -- but if you get frustrated by the fact that running "application X" takes 2 clicks on a Palm but 50,000 dropdowns and clicks in the WM5 interface -- it doesn't matter if end feature is the same. The experience matters too.

And, not to sound too pro-POS, I'd also say that if you want the have the "Windows Experience" on your handheld device the WM5 device gives you that familiar look and feel.

It boils down to features AND usability. The second part not so easily described by a spec sheet -- it will ultimately require some real world experience with each device...
    Start that comparison thread with 'you might want to go and get a 14-day trial of a device running the other OS'.

After 2 weeks with the 6700, I was convinced I would never go back. After 2 months, I'm waiting in line for the 700p. What seems cool at first eventually becomes a nuisance if it's too cumbersome to do. And what seems like 'minor steps back' become glaring deficiencies over time.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    skfny:

I was at a hockey game last month and the woman w/ a 700w in front of me was like on her 13th day of a 14 day trial....after my treo was back in my pocket after doing the exact same thing she was trying to do (while holding a beer in our right hands) , she asked to play with my 650 .... after 15 minutes she didn't like her new phone anymore and was freeting over what would hold her thru waiting for the 700p I said would be out on verizon within 45 -60 days. When I explained about SIM cards and buying a cheapo to hold her over, she was excited and then pi$$ed. that CNG wouldn't have something new out until 3rd quarter.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Start that comparison thread with 'you might want to go and get a 14-day trial of a device running the other OS'.

After 2 weeks with the 6700, I was convinced I would never go back. After 2 months, I'm waiting in line for the 700p. What seems cool at first eventually becomes a nuisance if it's too cumbersome to do. And what seems like 'minor steps back' become glaring deficiencies over time.
    I've moaned about my 2 weeks with a 6700 previously...it only took me about 3 days to figure out that I'd be unhappy with it as my primary means of communication and contact management. I loved the MM aspects...but it was just too cumbersome to use for my business aps on a daily basis.

Trust me --I know how customizable WM5 is. I've played with every iteration of Windows CE since 1.0 myself. I dont' claim to be a complete know it all...but I do indeed know how to customize it. About the best you can get is "not bad"...but why settle for "not bad" when you can have the ease of the Treo experience?

We've got a full Qwerty keyboard on our Treos that can have each key mapped to a specific application on the device....you can't get much simpler than that for "quick access". But it's how the applications themselves function that really make the POS shine. I still think WM5 applications are cumbersome and usually REQUIRE a stylus to make them 100% operable...so simply being able to launch a program easily isn't the point.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast