Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay sports fans, time to light the pilot on creativity and give us your uber Treo model for the remainder of the decade. No criticism of why someone chooses a feature (unless its not technically feasible, like the yoyos in the past looking for a fusion powered Treo 1000). Based upon today's tech, here's what I want:

1. 25% thinner, narrower, and lighter than the 700p

2. NO ANTENNAE

3. 640x480 OLED screen above a small STANDARD phone dial pad

4. Standard Treo keyboard slides down from under the dial pad (use both)

5. 256mb NVFS ram

6. 1gb on-board storage

7. SDIO

8. WiFi

9. HSDPA (OK, or EVDO, we'll try to be nice and share)

10. Standard mini-USB connector

11. No more IRDA UNLESS strong enough for a remote control

12. Don't care who's OS, just not another flavor of Frankengarnet!

$19.95 . OK, sorry, broke my own rule there, but $600 retail price point would be tops.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    1. Given
    2. Given
    3. Would make Treo too big for my personal tastes....4" x 4" ?
    4. No slidies for me
    5. Not sure I could use it
    6. I using 8 MB now....what would I do with 125 fold increase
    7. Given
    8. OK
    9. Given
    10. If I had my pick I'd take firewire
    11. Indifferent
    12. Palm Linux

I see the next Treo as being $750-$900 with a cheaper less featured model coming in at $395-$495.
    13. Kitchen Sink (or would that be Kitchen Sync?)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    13. Kitchen Sink (or would that be Kitchen Sync?)
    That's a good one
    Avatar is the license plate of my 95 White Ford Bronco

HTC TyTn II<- Current Favorite PDA phone
    CDMA the past;GSM the future
    On number (4) I completely disagree. If I wanted a smartphone with sliding keyboard I would have left treo for MDA long time ago. It is not going to happen. For number 12. I want OS like frankgarnet with multitasking. But I dont want to beta test new OS and start from scratch. Well I hope not.
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    so.... where are the CAD models and board layout drawings?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    You know...the single most interesting feature I would LOVE to have on a future Treo is not wifi, but DUAL MODE wireless! Specifically a Treo that had both the CMDA and GSM/UMTS radio so I could use Sprint in the USA and then pop in a sim card for when I travel overseas. That would be absolutely awesome! However I understand the difficulities of this. Palm would have to design a Treo with two different telephony stacks which would be tricky...but you can dream right?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    You know...the single most interesting feature I would LOVE to have on a future Treo is not wifi, but DUAL MODE wireless! Specifically a Treo that had both the CMDA and GSM/UMTS radio so I could use Sprint in the USA and then pop in a sim card for when I travel overseas. That would be absolutely awesome! However I understand the difficulities of this. Palm would have to design a Treo with two different telephony stacks which would be tricky...but you can dream right?
    That would give them an awesome leg up on the competition, but it must be incredibly difficult at best. There were rumors running around a few years ago about Samsung (I think) working a dual CDMA/GSM handset (not a smartphone) and it never appeared.

As for some of the other comments above:

1. If it "can" be done without bankrupting the company, then I beleieve Palm should be the leader and do it - why not put the heat on the competition ionstead of running a generation behind.

2. "Kitchen sink" - Munk you KNOW they are SUNK if they don't.

3. I know some folks want the keyboard front and center - but I think it still needs a separate dialing pad.

4. Larger screen - I wasn't thinking Dell x51v size - it would be smaller at the higher resolution - not so much to "pack more on the screen" but to give you a sharper and landscape oriented screen.

5. Ehsan - you will be beta testing WHATEVER OS Palm usese next - guaranteed!
    Last edited by dstrauss; 05/18/2006 at 08:28 AM.
    I'll take one, please and thank you.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    i guess like most of us i have thought about this a lot, (so much for my Treo making me more productive ) .....

Here's what i would like in my "Dream (Palm GSM of course)Treo"...

1. actually i don't really mind the current size of the Treo ... i use the PDA functions a lot and don't want it to be to small .... but hey, a little thinner would be nice ... and while we are at it, why not get rid of the antennae

2.640 x 640 screen sounds great, i don't mind the current key layout... but i also like the idea of a sliding keyboard and a 640 x 480 screen ... so long as it was sturdy, but elegant and well done

3. i would really like to have a small row of say 5 or 6 "unassigned" buttons running accross the top ( like on my acer laptop) that i can assign tasks or apps too for rapid launch ...

4. i would really like a quality stereo speaker on it ..... and can some one please move that $%^%$$$%$ audio jack onto the top ... and change it to a "proper" sized jack like the rest of the world uses ... ...... and while they are at it they can change the bluetooth thingy so that i can listen to mp3 music via stereo bluetooth headsets ... hell, just getting bluetooth to work at all would be nice ...

5. now they can also add in a reasonable quality camera lens ... doesn't have to be a super-duper one ... just a reasonable (non plastic) one would be nice ...

6. WIFI please.... AND ...the ability for the Treo to be used as an GPRS nav system ... AND... IRDA strong enough to be used as a remote That's convergence!

7. Then i would really like them to rewrite to palm calender app .... so that i don't have to continue to buy a bloated expensive agendus at about 2MB

a) in the agenda view please add some sort of check box to allow my background images to change or rotate so i get to see a new one every hour or day etc (kind of like a screensaver - think mobipocket) ....

b) in the monthly view please let me be able to add in my own icons to appointments and meetings etc ... and give iambic some cash so that you can use the weather applet that is in agendus pro ... so that when i look at my monthly calander i can see the weather icons for the next week ...and also grab their "'colour picker" that they have in their month view that allows you to change the background colour of individual days in the month view ...

8. Flamethrower ... every decent smartphones gotta have one of those
    Treo 650, GSM 120 LAP Custom ROM, 2GB Ultra 2 SanDisk Card
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    ...8. Flamethrower ... every decent smartphones gotta have one of those
    That's available on the Treocentral model only.
    Why not 1) put a traditional phone keypad on the battery cover and 2) add a mini LCD screen above said keypad to see the numbers dialed or incoming (like the ones on the outside of some clam-shell phone)?
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    so.... where are the CAD models and board layout drawings?
    I got them...solid modeling and fully rendered, with components and assembly...UG, IDEAS, CATIA...which do you want.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    That would give them an awesome leg up on the competition, but it must be incredibly difficult at best. There were rumors running around a few years ago about Samsung (I think) working a dual CDMA/GSM handset (not a smartphone) and it never appeared.

Actually, that's not true. Samsung released the A790 a while ago on both Sprint and Verizon.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=406

It was a dual mode (cdma+gsm) handset, but is discontinued now on Sprint. It reportedly had terrible battery life and was very expensive I recall, but it was released.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Okay sports fans, time to light the pilot on creativity and give us your uber Treo model for the remainder of the decade. No criticism of why someone chooses a feature (unless its not technically feasible, like the yoyos in the past looking for a fusion powered Treo 1000). Based upon today's tech, here's what I want:

2. NO ANTENNAE

5. 256mb NVFS ram

6. 1gb on-board storage

7. SDIO

8. WiFi

$19.95 . OK, sorry, broke my own rule there, but $600 retail price point would be tops.

Actually, thats almost perfect! I'll add
    *3G support
    * front camera for videocalls
    * swappable face plates or body (I want different colours, or at least the ability to return it to new if it was scrached)
    * a decent, at least 2MP camera
    *and I should NOT need external programs to have MP3 ringtones or an alarm clock. These things should be given, especially if the phone is smart!
    How bout thinking 'outside the box'. I mean with the whole device convergence that we are seeing these days (specifically beyond the phone/pda world - think media center pc's, , UMPC's, ipod shoe interface;s, universal remotes that tie your shoes, etc.) I'd like to see what eveyone's ideas are on the possible 'new' areas that palm/treo can expand into. Any ideas, oh wise TC regulars?
    Actually, the Samsung i830 is the identical model to the i730, except that it gave up wifi in favor of dual GSM/CDMA radios. Since I don't travel out of the country, I have no use for such a device.

The samsung i730 has a beautiful form factor. I am not a fan of sliding keyboards, but since this phone does not require a change to landscape mode, it works not to differently than the treo. The keyboard can be rapidly opened one-handedly. The MDA slider always felt a little awkward to me.

What the heck is up with the stupid treo connector? Does anybody actually like it?? When I first saw devices with a simple mini-USB, as was totally floored on how idiotic palm's design was. Imagine charging by connecting to any PC...

A better camera, with a nice lens, would be great. It would be awesome to take real pictures with this thing.
    OK, I'm a treo noob so bare with me. Why is it that MP3 players which are quite small can offer devices with 60 gig hard drives but nobody makes a smart phone with a sizable internal hard drive? That's something I'd go for.
    how about a button you can push for when someone says "HEY is that one of them blackberries?"

What will happen is a hammer/mallet will come out and beat the living sense out of the person

2. NO ANTENNAE

5. 256mb NVFS ram

6. 1gb on-board storage

7. SDIO

8. WiFi

I received my in the mail today. I was surprised to find a 5MP camera as well, nice touch Palm.
    P.S. I will be too busy to send and pics.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast