Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    That's a good question. I also wish for a Treo Clamshell... It is my one major request.
    Seattle Area Realtor - www.atruehome.com
    www.Ragnaroc.org
    I could net see a clamshell PDA of any type. I don't believe there is a real market for it either. The Q is relivance to what market the PDA's are heading...plus clamshells are cool when they are small, easy to snap and put in your pocket...A clamshell version of a Treo will open a new can of worms as to how much smaller can we make it all over again. My wife has the A900 Blade and I love that phone...unless Palm can come up with a Treo the same size as the blade...I don't want it. PDA's require too much realestate to be clamshells.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    I'd love to see a clamshell smartphone if it meant a bigger screen and keyboard. Otherwise, the increased size/weight wouldn't be worth it.

I think there's a HUGE market for a device like this as a partial notebook replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    I could net see a clamshell PDA of any type. I don't believe there is a real market for it either.
    I got news for you. The Nokia 9000 series clamshell PDA phones sell in roughly equal number to the Treos on a worldwide basis. Outside the US market (where we've only had them for a few months) they outsell the Treos hands down. Go read some user reviews of the Nokia 9300 from Cingular customers sometime and you may reconsider your opinion.

It opens to a huge, comfortable keyboard, for one thing. For another, 640 x 200 screen resolution is really a nice format for web browsing and office document viewing. Nice for PIM apps, too. For example, you can see the month view of your calendar and the detail of a selected day at the same time. It automatically goes to speakerphone when you open it to view the PDA screen during a call. And you don't get your screen all greasy when you just want to talk on the phone. Nice multitasking OS with a generous 80Mb of RAM. The 9500 has WiFi, as will a new 9300 model coming to the US soon. Palm could do well to come up with a clamshell Treo that competes with these phones.

David
    Last edited by cervezas; 07/10/2006 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cervezas
    I got news for you. The Nokia 9000 series clamshell PDA phones sell in roughly equal number to the Treos on a worldwide basis. Outside the US market (where we've only had them for a few months) they outsell the Treos hands down. Go read some user reviews of the Nokia 9300 from Cingular customers sometime and you may reconsider your opinion.

It opens to a huge, comfortable keyboard, for one thing. For another, 640 x 200 screen resolution is really a nice format for web browsing and office document viewing. Nice for PIM apps, too. For example, you can see the month view of your calendar and the detail of a selected day at the same time. It automatically goes to speakerphone when you open it to view the PDA screen during a call. And you don't get your screen all greasy when you just want to talk on the phone. Nice multitasking OS with a generous 80Mb of RAM. The 9500 has WiFi, as will a new 9300 model coming to the US soon. Palm could do well to come up with a clamshell Treo that competes with these phones.

David

Good news...that thing is cool. I was thinking of the wrong type of clamshell like the 300 series Treo. That is the nightmare I think of when the word clamshell comes to mind.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I dont think it would be hard, the samsung I-505 was 2.1 wide and the Treo is 2.36 wide, they should be able make a decent sized clamshell with a qwerty KB.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Personally, I think this kind of design is more useful. I don't know if it's considered a clamshell or not...

http://www.mxbuilder.com/assets2/ima...000_Kyhe05.jpg
    Yes its a clamshell........ If I could get the universal to work in my area my wait for the perfect clamshell would be a lot less painful

Here's is the difference between a flip phone and a clamshell
    http://www.phonescoop.com/glossary/term.php?gid=4
    Quote Originally Posted by sbradfor
    Personally, I think this kind of design is more useful. I don't know if it's considered a clamshell or not...

http://www.mxbuilder.com/assets2/ima...000_Kyhe05.jpg
    I like that one...
    at&t iPhone3G
    I had a Kyocera 7135 and I MISS the clamshell design. I knew it was safe no matter what in the PROVIDED holster it came with.

I dont want to get into the deficencies of the 7135 as that wouldnt be appropriate in this thread but its biggest feature IMHO was its clamshell.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Not sure if its been mentioned before but I would definately have a 3.5mm headphone jack ON THE SIDE OF THE UNIT!!! As well as the newest "bestester" version of BlueTooth.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cervezas

David

Well dammit, I've loved the 9000 series in theory since they came out -- but no CDMA. Like it or hate it, Sprint has the best data prices, and Sprint + Verizon = huge chunk of America's market. Make the 9300 for Sprint, and I'd dump the Treo. I know, sacrilege, but I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    1. Given
    2. Given
    3. Would make Treo too big for my personal tastes....4" x 4" ?
    4. No slidies for me
    5. Not sure I could use it
    6. I using 8 MB now....what would I do with 125 fold increase
    7. Given
    8. OK
    9. Given
    10. If I had my pick I'd take firewire
    11. Indifferent
    12. Palm Linux

I see the next Treo as being $750-$900 with a cheaper less featured model coming in at $395-$495.
    I disagree on the price. At least IMO there is no way I am going to pay $750 - $900 for ANY phone. I would imagine the next Treo, which I am praying is going to be GSM, will be in the $399 range with a two year contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by txschafers
    I disagree on the price. At least IMO there is no way I am going to pay $750 - $900 for ANY phone. I would imagine the next Treo, which I am praying is going to be GSM, will be in the $399 range with a two year contract.
    Ok, but how much would your be willing to pay to have one without a contract? I've never been able to stay with a provider for more then 13 months, and last year I switched twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23
    I had a Kyocera 7135 and I MISS the clamshell design. I knew it was safe no matter what in the PROVIDED holster it came with.
    I had the Samsung i500 and I was really happy with it, until my wife took it away from me . I ended up with her Treo 650. While the 650 is better for messaging, the i500 has it beat in terms of phone functionality. If somebody just took the i500 and just updated for EVDO/HSDPA, and maybe threaded SMS, I'm off the Treo faster than you can count to 1.
    Id want the ability to have MP3 ringtones naitively.
    There is no spoon.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123