View Poll Results: Do you believe Palm is failing to provide consumers want they want and need?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    75 52.45%
  • No

    68 47.55%
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 160
  1.    #1  
    Palm is seriously failing as a leader in the smartphone market. Taking a look at competitor products such as the Sony Ericsson P990 where features such as Bluetooth voice activated dialing, dual cameras, 3G and WIFI are included is a clear indication Palm which lacks such features isn't looking to the future or even understanding what consumers want or need in a smartphone.

    Reference: http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...=pp1&pid=10336
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 05/17/2006 at 01:04 AM.
  2. #2  
    Despite being a Palm/ Treo fan, I have to agree...
  3. #3  
    I don't beleive palm is failing. Look what they've done with the windows mobile device? In the end, they could just end up being a device maker, and putting different operating systems on them.

    Personally however, I think palm would be making far more money if it realeased:
    Unlocked CDMA
    Unlocked GSM
    Cingular, Sprint, Verizon
    versions all at the same time. When I see something like the 700w and can't get a GSM version untill the end of the year, I go buy a MDA or an SDA T-Mobile phone. That's why I currently own the SDA, because I CAN'T get the 700w in Alaska.

    Would you guys agree? Having things carrier specific defeats all the "buzz" purpose and people end up somewhat "forgetting" about the device.

    Your thoughts?
  4. #4  
    Im a bery big treo and POS fan but have recently taken the bait and bought a PPC, just for the main fact that theres wifi, its a real shame that sime real hard fans of palm are slowly truing to the dark side, (And yes i am still DEFINATLEY getting the 700p)

    And the fact that we havnt seen a GSM version of either 700 yet is a real let down as well. By doing this they are really limiting their selfs to one market, the US
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownman_007
    I don't beleive palm is failing. Look what they've done with the windows mobile device? In the end, they could just end up being a device maker, and putting different operating systems on them.

    Personally however, I think palm would be making far more money if it realeased:
    Unlocked CDMA
    Unlocked GSM
    Cingular, Sprint, Verizon
    versions all at the same time. When I see something like the 700w and can't get a GSM version untill the end of the year, I go buy a MDA or an SDA T-Mobile phone. That's why I currently own the SDA, because I CAN'T get the 700w in Alaska.

    Would you guys agree? Having things carrier specific defeats all the "buzz" purpose and people end up somewhat "forgetting" about the device.

    Your thoughts?
    there is no such thing as unlocked CDMA....CDMA handsets are carrier dependent as they rely heavily on ESN(s). I guess this for two reasons

    1. Carrier forces user to purchase their handsets
    2. User can have peace of mind that if their phone gets stolen/lost an ESN block can be placed

    With GSM, although IMEIs are important as well, it is actually the SIM which is worth more. Conversely it has the following consequences:

    1. User can get whatever GSM handset they want (providing that it is unlocked if it is not directly from the carrier)
    2. Their carrier, like mine, may not have "block IMEI" in the even that your phone is stolen or missing. However they can fry your SIM so that no one can make a call and you get charged
  6. #6  
    palms customers are the carriers. get over it.

    what carrier is offereing the se?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownman_007
    I don't beleive palm is failing. Look what they've done with the windows mobile device? In the end, they could just end up being a device maker, and putting different operating systems on them.
    Yeah, look what they did to the 700W. It's a crippled dog compared to other WM devices out there.

    Fortunately for Palm, they still have a loyal fan base that will gladly take the a$$ pounding thats given to them, and say "Thank You, Daddy."
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8. #8  
    I said no, Palm is not failing, but then my perspective is rather narrow. My needs are simple and for me the Treo 650 is ideal. Looking at the original question from a broader perspective, however, I might have to say that yes, indeed, Palm is falling down.

    I will be taking a good hard look at several other phones when they're available in the U.S. for the GSM network. I'm thinking or the Motorola Q, Nokia E61, and the SE P990. The P990 is the one I'm most eager to get my grubby little hands on. I still have an on again/off again fascination with Blackberries, most notably the 8700. I had several older Blackberries before my Treos and I really came to love them. Lack of expandable storage was the downfall for me, though. Now with 64 MB of onboard memory on the newer BB 8700 I'm starting to think it might be enough. Early reviews of the Treo 700p will be a major determining factor for me.
    Last edited by rambo47; 05/17/2006 at 09:15 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    palms customers are the carriers. get over it.

    what carrier is offering the se?
    Actually I was surprized to see during the Rogers National Manufacturer Road Show that Palm had nothing to offer as they continued to display the Treo 650 which was released last year to Rogers customers. Where as manufacturers such as Sony Ericsson had a lot to show since their previous hardware release and showed they were really being competitive with what they included not only features but also extras in the box. Palm's lack of innovation doesn't go over well either with a major carrier such as Rogers or their customers. A company such as Palm can't expect to be considered a serious contender for the smartphone market when they continue to display little innovation in their product releases. Especially when they are compared to other smartphone companies.

    As for the model mentioned in my original link the North American market should be seeing it before the end of this year. Either late summer Q3 or late fall Q4 in time for the holiday season. This was feedback directly from the Sony Ericsson rep during the road show I mentioned previously. So if Palm is unable to release something that can compete with the features being offered in a smartphone as the Sony Ericsson P990 they will lose myself as a customer. After all consumers shouldn't have to wait over a year for a company such as Palm to catch up with current market trends or technology.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 05/17/2006 at 10:59 PM.
  10. #10  
    I love Palm
    But next time, when I upgrade, I will demand 3G, a several Mega Pixel Camera and more.
    Other devices seem to do out of the box what a treo need to buy programmes for.

    Next upgrade if Palm is not there for me, I'm jumping ship, sadly enough.

    or, I'd talk a POS PDA & another phone. But not a Treo
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Palm is seriously failing as a leader in the smartphone market.
    Not according to this. http://www.washingtontimes.com/func...22-101447-7311r

    If you read this, Palm has won.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
  12. yOyOYoo's Avatar
    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    304 Global Posts
    #12  
    palm isn't failing, if it has dedicated followers like us. it's just really sad that palm isn't innovating.
  13. #13  
    Palm is failing.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  14. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Palm is failing.
    I'm beginning to become a convert. I'm starting to believe that Palm is failing...failing to provide what the market is going to demand. I think it's an okay product for today -- May/June 2006. But I think by this time next year the 700w or 700p will be lousy competition in the marketplace.

    The only way Palm is going to be able to redeem themselves, in my opinion, is to release Treo 700 replacements at the beginning of 07. If they wait until summer or fall next year (or god forbid an entire 18 month cycle) -- I think they're toast.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    The only way Palm is going to be able to redeem themselves, in my opinion, is to release Treo 700 replacements at the beginning of 07. If they wait until summer or fall next year (or god forbid an entire 18 month cycle) -- I think they're toast.
    I agree with you, except this will make 700p owners (soon to be) like myself very angry. I think if you release too many products in a short period of time, you destroy the true value of it while making alot of customers angry. Don't get me wrong, i love progression. I just hate to know that i paid $400 for something that will be old in a few months.

    I understand you will say, yea, the 700p is already old due to internal technologies. But i also look at new as "the most recent model". I want my 700p to be the best palm has to offer for atleast a year. I don't know if i'm pushing it. Let me know what you think.

    Yea, and i didn't answer the question. I think palm has a huge following and if it continues to draw in new people, like myself, every time they release something, they aren't failing. Maybe letting down its long time customers, but as long as they replace them with new ones, they'll be OK. Don't believe me? Look at the tobacco industry. Atleast Palm isn't killing you all YET
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  16. jegs2's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,586 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownman_007
    Personally however, I think palm would be making far more money if it realeased:
    Unlocked CDMA
    Unlocked GSM
    Cingular, Sprint, Verizon
    versions all at the same time. When I see something like the 700w and can't get a GSM version untill the end of the year, I go buy a ...
    Sprint PPC 6700, which is what I purchased upon my decision to replace the ole Treo 600 with failing screen. Had the 700w been available for Sprint, I'd likely have that. Palm's loss...
    John 3:16-18

    Handspring Visor Prism w/Digital Link -> Palm Treo 600 -> Sprint PPC 6700 -> Palm Centro -> Blackberry Tour -> Blackberry Bold 9780 -> Blackberry Torch -> Palm Treo 755p -> BlackBerry Bold 9930
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I'm beginning to become a convert. I'm starting to believe that Palm is failing...failing to provide what the market is going to demand. I think it's an okay product for today -- May/June 2006. But I think by this time next year the 700w or 700p will be lousy competition in the marketplace.

    The only way Palm is going to be able to redeem themselves, in my opinion, is to release Treo 700 replacements at the beginning of 07. If they wait until summer or fall next year (or god forbid an entire 18 month cycle) -- I think they're toast.
    Very nice avatar.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  18. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Very nice avatar.
    I thought you'd like it.
  19. #19  
    I still waitinmg for a fan of these numerous wonderful competitors to show me a single unit with all the features on the Treos....not a compendium of phones that each have but all of them .... not AB & C on one unit BC&D on another, CD&E on yet another.

    Where is the unit with :

    touch screen
    320 x 320 min
    3G
    non slide out KB
    workable with one hand.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I still waitinmg for a fan of these numerous wonderful competitors to show me a single unit with all the features on the Treos....not a compendium of phones that each have but all of them .... not AB & C on one unit BC&D on another, CD&E on yet another.

    Where is the unit with :

    touch screen
    320 x 320 min
    3G
    non slide out KB
    workable with one hand.
    I agree, but that is no excuse to introduce a "new" product with minor upgrades and ask $500+ for it.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions