View Poll Results: Do you believe Palm is failing to provide consumers want they want and need?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

75 52.45%
  • No

68 47.55%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    She is quite the potty mouth.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    See
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    See
    I will pray for her...
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    I will pray for her...
    Please dont
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    I was wondering where all you guys and gals went. 700p drops from Palm heaven, and you all run over here and hide - having fun by yourselves. No fair.

Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Back on topic:

Palm is crapping in its own mess kit. Keyboard based competitors are dropping from the sky (8125; Nokia E61/62; Moto Q) with more on the immediate horizon (HTC Hermes; Samsung i320), not to mention non-keyboard smartphones. Name ONE innovative product coming from Palm since they took over Handspring (and don't name "me too" products that already existed from other manufacturer like the WiFI TX - check out the HP 4155 first).

They've just fallen off the tracks...
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Back on topic:

Palm is crapping in its own mess kit. Keyboard based competitors are dropping from the sky (8125; Nokia E61/62; Moto Q) with more on the immediate horizon (HTC Hermes; Samsung i320), not to mention non-keyboard smartphones. Name ONE innovative product coming from Palm since they took over Handspring (and don't name "me too" products that already existed from other manufacturer like the WiFI TX - check out the HP 4155 first).

Well...ah....um...Ed Colligan has a nice smile?
    Well...ah....um...Ed Colligan has a nice smile?
    You can't argue with that, and he's dreamy. Dstrauss, any idea when the HTC Hermes or Samsung i320 are coming out?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    You can't argue with that, and he's dreamy. Dstrauss, any idea when the HTC Hermes or Samsung i320 are coming out?
    The wife has me watching Grey's Anatomy. They've got "McDreamy" on that show... I suppose good ol' Ed could be called "GeekDreamy" ???
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Back on topic:

I don't think the 8125 or the MotoQ are Treo killers. I haven't ever seen or used a E6x series in person so I can't speak to it.

While none of these are "killers" -- they will eat away market share. And that's where I think WM5 will eventually "kill" the Treo. Not so much in 1 killer product...but a bunch of competing WM5 devices that all have specific features that compare well against the Treo. Each will have their pluses and minuses versus the Treo but ultimately each one will take a small piece of the Treo pie.
    Last edited by Haggar; 06/02/2006 at 07:09 PM.
    Exactly. Also all the vendors are getting a whole lot more aggressive about things. Can Palm keep up, not just with HTC, but with Moto and Samsung and even Acer, not to mention RIM, constantly releasing competing devices, eroding their market share?

e.g.

Barrage of HTCs rumored in the pipeline
    Posted Jun 2nd 2006 6:40AM by Chris Ziegler
    Filed under: Cellphones, Handhelds

HTC, making sure that the enjoyment of our fresh Star Trek is kept to an absolute minimum, looks to be preparing a spectrum of lustworthy new devices. This information is entirely unconfirmed, and we don't know much about what we're about to tell you -- some of these code names are as new to us as they are to you -- but we can tell you it comes from a reliable source.

First up, the Muse has been mercifully renamed the "Melody," and the Triolgy has become "Monet." The Hermes, which is just starting to drop across Europe, has been upped to 400MHz for full-scale production; you might recall we recently reported that O2 was bringing a 400MHz Hermes to the table, and it now appears this will be standard fare for launches going forward. Trinity (pictured) specs are coming into focus, and we should expect this beast to throw down HSDPA, WiFi, and integrated GPS. There have been some rumblings of an "Artemis" recently, and that device still appears to be on the map, bringing integrated GPS and a trackball (wha?) but topping out with EDGE data. The "Herald" sounds positively gorgeous, similar in concept and functionality to the Hermes but measuring just 17mm thick. The Foreseer and Monet will be joined by the "Oxygen" in HTC's mobile TV lineup, though we don't know which standard it'll be packing. Looking to steal some of the Q's thunder, the "Excalibur" will be getting its QWERTY on and running Smartphone. Finally, look for "Vera" as a possible successor to the Star Trek, packing HSDPA and a front-facing camera for video calling.

That's a lot of unconfirmed data to digest, we know, and we're still trying to make sense of it all ourselves. No word on release windows for most of these -- if we could divine you a Vera tomorrow, we would -- but as always, we'll be burning the midnight oil in our quest for deets.
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/02/b...-the-pipeline/

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 06/02/2006 at 07:00 PM.
    Hermes looks like 4th Q 2006 at best. The Sammy has already cleared FCC approval, but for it to work here, it's got to go quad band and pick up the 850 spectrum for Cingular to launch.
    I don't think the 8125 or the MotoQ are Treo killers. I haven't ever seen or used a E6x series in person so I can't speak to it.

While none of these are "killers" -- they will eat away market share. And that's where I think WM5 will eventually "kill" the Treo. Not so much in 1 killer product...but a bunch of competing WM5 devices that all have specific features that compare well against the Treo. Each will have their pluses and minuses versus the Treo but ultimately each one will take a small piece of the Treo pie.
    You're right, death by a thousand cuts - and almost every one of them a WM5 device. I'm afraid the Treo will end up lost in the shuffle.
  14.    #154  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    I just read in one of those tech pubs that the LOOX series is currently unavailabe in the USA. Why is that not surprising?! Anybody here have different news?
    You can preorder it through North American resellers such as Expansys http://www.expansys.ca/ (Canada portal) and http://www.mobileplanet.com/ (USA portal). Approximate pricing is to be $991.60 (CDN), $899.29 (USD), $700.00 (EUR) and ETA July 2006 first across Europe. Anyway unless Palm can produce something better I'll be most likely saying bye to Palm and purchasing the "Fujitsu Siemens LOOX T830" when it's released. After all everything that should be in the Treo 700 but isn't can actually be found in the LOOX T830. From the specs and design it really does look like a Treo and Blackberry killer. More screenshots and info here http://www.infosyncworld.com/eu/mobi...ox_t830.html#0
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 06/03/2006 at 12:07 AM.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    IF (big if) you are to believe Motorola's projections for Q sales...it will almost double Treo sales in it's very first qtr on the market...gets worse from there on out in for the Treo in terms of sales projections...but does anyone believe them?
    I dont think they are realistic. Not that many people want smartphones of any flavor.

Surur
    My gut tells me surur is right - 5.25 million new/switched device users in 270 days - maybe he meant a cummulative total of 3 million by then, but even that would be astronomical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    You can preorder it through North American resellers such as Expansys http://www.expansys.ca/ (Canada portal) and http://www.mobileplanet.com/ (USA portal). Approximate pricing is to be $991.60 (CDN), $899.29 (USD), $700.00 (EUR) and ETA July 2006 first across Europe. Anyway unless Palm can produce something better I'll be most likely saying bye to Palm and purchasing the "Fujitsu Siemens LOOX T830" when it's released. After all everything that should be in the Treo 700 but isn't can actually be found in the LOOX T830. From the specs and design it really does look like a Treo and Blackberry killer. More screenshots and info here http://www.infosyncworld.com/eu/mobi...ox_t830.html#0

I would have to say I'm also a fan of the T830, that phone is very appealing, but no way I pay $900 for it. As for Palm failing I don't believe they are. I think that they are still offering quality products, but could they be better and offer more, IMO yes. There are some shortcomings with their products, but I feel that they are outweighed by the pluses. Right now for me the 700w is satisfying, but the day something better comes out for my needs I'll jump the palm ship. I not much of a brand loyalist, whatever works best I will purchase whether its Palm or another company.
    Last edited by 80'sbaby; 06/03/2006 at 03:34 PM.
  19.    #159  
    Quote Originally Posted by 80'sbaby
    I would have to say I'm also a fan of the T830, that phone is very appealing, but no way I pay $900 for it.
    That's just an estimated cost as per the report at http://www.infosyncworld.com/ on what consumers can expect to pay for an unlocked version with out a carrier contract (aka: term, commitment). For what it provides in features and hardware it surpasses the current pricing of similar devices such as the i-mate JASJAR which is priced at $1039.95 (CDN). See JASJAR here http://www.expansys.ca/product.asp?code=119353 Now compare that to what Palm charges for an unlocked Treo with no carrier commitment and it's sheer lack of features in comparison to the LOOX T830 and you may then find it not so costly This thread should be a wake up call for Palm that not all of their customers will sit idly by waiting for the company to provide innovative products while other companies can accomplish innovative products in less time and at competitive pricing.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 06/03/2006 at 03:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    That's just an estimated cost as per the report at http://www.infosyncworld.com/ on what consumers can expect to pay for an unlocked version with out a carrier contract (aka: term, commitment). For what it provides in features and hardware it surpasses the current pricing of similar devices such as the i-mate JASJAR which is priced at $1039.95 (CDN). See JASJAR here http://www.expansys.ca/product.asp?code=119353 Now compare that to what Palm charges for an unlocked Treo with no carrier commitment and it's sheer lack of features in comparison to the LOOX T830 and you may then find it not so costly This thread should be a wake up call for Palm that not all of their customers will sit idly by waiting for the company to provide innovative products while other companies can accomplish innovative products in less time and at competitive pricing.
    I understand that this is just an estimated cost, but the thing is how well does this phone perform with basics, (reception, battery life ect?)
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678