View Poll Results: Do you believe Palm is failing to provide consumers want they want and need?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

75 52.45%
  • No

68 47.55%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Yup, 150 pages come up for pizza...who knew these moderators were so biased
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    I heard all things you were saying all along for past few months. There are pros and then there are cons to every product. Majority of us tech junkies like all pros of palm based treo. And that is what makes Palm based treo so famous and addicted. We always talk about multi task OS and A2dp profile and voice dialing off bluetooth headset and bigger screen (well i dont know about this one), and big one WiFi but truth is even with all these short comings, no other smartphone can beat it down. Some missing Treo form factor, some missing touch screen (like E61 you have), some missing camera (like E61), some missing all the softwares Palm has to offer, and then most of them are missing one handed typing and usability of Palm OS which is still best in mobile based gadgets handsdown. So the fact is with all its shortcomings, Palm based Treo is still the best in the market. Trust me even E61, all sony phones, all Motorolla phones cant compete with all the pros Treo700P has to offer. It just comes down to what u need most. If wifi, voice dialing through bluetooth headset and multi tasking are most important for you, than go for other phone but then you must loose some things Treo has to offer. If there is any phone in the market, even for $1000 that has same form factor as Treo700P has and all other feature Treo offer and still got wifi, better bluetooth support and multi tasking. I will be the first to buy that phone. And the fact is there isnt. So stop complaining about Treo and Palm and enjoy your E61. Most of us are happy with Treo
    Have you even tried this phone?
    I have had the Treo650 for year and a halfand T600 for one year as my main phone and can do a better comparison between both the phones.
    Yes your statement about Treo 's form factor was legit, may be 1-2 year ago. Not now, as there are a number of phones including Moto Q ,which have the same form factor as the Treo.
    This phone has the same form factor . You can type one handed. The only two things The TREO has which this phone is missing is
    1. CAMERA
    2. TOUCH SCREEN.
    If those things are it for you . Thsi one is not for you.
    However you get , wifi, USB plug & play functionality , better IR , bluetooth ,Stable , non resetting phone , OS is as fast as palm, wider much better screen, great voice reception & volume .
    The truth remains that unfortunately Nokia is not marketing this phone in US .Forget carriers ,they do n't have any B&M stores carrying this phone.
    Therefore it will never catch up to Treo.
    There is no way , i am going back to Treo, Unless any major issue arises with Nokia. Don't know what to do with all the 3rdparty garbage for T650 , I have accumulated .
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You'd never know that by reading most of the posts around here.
    That's because many people who had the 650 can't wait to get what they should have gotten on the 650. They are also just very forgiving of Palm's "hindsight". I call it fooling the consumer with overpriced "updates". I suspect Palm knows very well what they're doing. Minor updates costing $400+ for people who choose not to look elsewhere out of a sense of blind brand loyalty is exactly what they're counting on.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    I don't know if Palm is failing, but they are definitively falling - at least in my eyes :|
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    OK, lets look at what a consumer has as Palm OS options:
    Treo 650 & Treo 600
    Thats it. They look very similar and are almost identical. Its hardly two products really.

A 700w is not an option to me because it is compared with masses & masses of WM sets.

So, a guy who wants a treo phone (or a smart phone for that matter), palm would present him with these similar two products.

This is NOT how you get more customers, you do not do that by giving them one option.

For thoes who say (we don't wanna spend on a new treo every X months), just DONT!
    PC's change every month, laptops, mobiles, TV's, videogames, iPods!
    This is NOT a reason for a company to release that single product and wait for two years before offering anything else!
    I have a 2 year old laptop, its still going fine, I'd like a new one sure, but I'm happy so far.
    Why can't we have 2 or 3 palm or treo phones every 6 months? huh?
    How bad would it be to you really?
    The only outcome is it will meet the demands of more people.

And for the guys who say (Treo's market are not casual users but company), again, so WHAT?
    paying attention to casual users will NOT make companies left out in any way!
    Look at NOKIA, they are offering the communicator to companies and all sorts of flavours to anyone else!
    Sony-Ericsson is offering the P900 series to companies and everything else to consumers.
    Even Windows mobile, they have the full PDA versions and a phone like WM based set for normal consumers.

Why on Earth is Palm not realsing more phones? Or targeting more people for that matter??
    It doesn't make any sense to me! at all!
    Its like "let others get the consumers we could have got", why? Thats so stupid IMO!

They should start releasing more phones, different forms (bar, flip top, slider) and more coloures, more & less functions. They despiratly need at least a:
    1) Latest technology geek phone (like a viper to dodge, out of reach for most, but there if you want it and will enhance company image)
    2) and an entry level, phone looking POS set, to get new consumers into the POS!

I mean, all the other companies are doing it, and I'm not a follower of others but do you not agree that if all the big players are doing so then maybe they are onto something? They are CONTINUING to do so, obviously, its working for them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    That's because many people who had the 650 can't wait to get what they should have gotten on the 650. They are also just very forgiving of Palm's "hindsight". I call it fooling the consumer with overpriced "updates". I suspect Palm knows very well what they're doing. Minor updates costing $400+ for people who choose not to look elsewhere out of a sense of blind brand loyalty is exactly what they're counting on.
    And that's exactly what's happening. They could move the reset hole to other side, call it a 750, and people would fall all over themselves trying to be the first person to start the "I Have The 750 In My Hands!!onE!" thread. And with no one else making a P/OS phone, they've got the entire Palm Nation at their mercy.

Palm fans are nearly as myopic as Raider fans.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    For thoes who say (we don't wanna spend on a new treo every X months), just DONT!
    PC's change every month, laptops, mobiles, TV's, videogames, iPods!
    This is NOT a reason for a company to release that single product and wait for two years before offering anything else!
    I have a 2 year old laptop, its still going fine, I'd like a new one sure, but I'm happy so far.
    Why can't we have 2 or 3 palm or treo phones every 6 months? huh?
    How bad would it be to you really?
    The only outcome is it will meet the demands of more people.
    stupid IMO!
    Umm yea, thats the only part I read, because it's kinda long, but i'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one. I would actually hate it if i knew that the product I brought would be considered "the newest from ____" for only a few weeks until they announce that their releasing an upgraded model. There are a list of reasons why this isn't smart at all but i am willing to share one with you.

As a smart consumer, I want to get something for the cheapest amount possible. Lets say in the span of one year, they release 4-6 new treo's (coming from your POV). IN January, the treo 700x is released. It is upgraded in April with Wi-Fi, and better reception in July. Maybe a few little upgrades here and there but each new model, 750x, 800x, 850x, 900x and the 950x, each costing $649. With each new release of a model, the price of the older one significantly drops. With new Treo's being released so often, it would be much smarter to buy the older model missing a few non-essential items. Not only am i saving $200-$300, but its only 5, 6 months old!

Also, not only is it costing this company so much money to put out new products with variations so often, but now they are losing money because people find no need to buy a new $650 phone when they can get a "new enough" phone for $250 simply by a little while. Your words are truly spoken from an overly-demanding consumers point of view.
    You deserve a spot on the Enron Board of Directors
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    And that's exactly what's happening. They could move the reset hole to other side, call it a 750, and people would fall all over themselves trying to be the first person to start the "I Have The 750 In My Hands!!onE!" thread. And with no one else making a P/OS phone, they've got the entire Palm Nation at their mercy.

Your right about that, except for the fact that if you knew that the 750p was coming out soon, how many of you would cancel your orders for the 700p? The 700p would bomb and Palm would lose ALOT of $. Each model would only get a quarter, at most, of the sales it would have gotten, eventually destroying Palm. Does anyone have any idea how much it cost to develop a new device? You would be getting crap each time if it was rushed. They would only have 3 or 4 months to test a new OS, or whatever it may be that they update and it would be filled with MORE bugs then it usually would! Which basically means it would be unusable.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010

I still like the Palm OS. WM5 is cool, but it's got some drawbacks too. It just so happens that WM5 phone makers are better at making updated phones, and so I'm going with them more. If only Sony hadn't abandoned the Palm OS. We could have had some kick-*** phones by now! SE puts out some good stuff!
    I don't think Palm is "failing" to provide things. But I don't think they provide everything they could. Phones from different carriers have slight differences in software, so it's not that they're not able to.

But they have to keep the market wanting more and they have to compete. Just like any other company (Ford, MS, Mercedes Benz). They all could do a ton of improvements at once, but very few people would buy a new car/pc/etc. every year for minor improvements.

It's just how things get marketed.

Where they do fall down, though, it seems is in advertising. I see ads everywhere for WM, but can't recall the last time I saw an ad for Palm. Not counting Treo forums.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    Where they do fall down, though, it seems is in advertising. I see ads everywhere for WM, but can't recall the last time I saw an ad for Palm. Not counting Treo forums.
    I don't see many Porsche ads either. They sell themsleves. There's cars with more seats, cars with more HP, cars with more this or that but those cars ain't taking spots 1 thru 9 at Lemans. Palm shines when it puts together the "package". But damn, the thing doesn't even have 4 WD !!!!...doesn't even have 12" ground clearance....doesn't have 6500 lb towing capacity !!!! look at all the other car manufacturers that do ...Porsche is failing !!!!

Take the $400 Treo700p and the $200 Q.....put aside the cost for the touch screen, put aside the cost for the smaller resolution, put aside the cost of Docs2Go, P-Tunes etc., put aside the cost for the one handed usability penalty, put aside the cost of not being able to remote wipe ya device... how far past $200 are ya now ?

I am not saying other vendors aren't catching up, they certainly are. There just ain't thare yet ... unless again somebody is willing to point me to that as yet unnamed device that has matches the 700p's resolution, touch screen, no slide out KB, one handed useability, 3G, edits office docs outta da box ...anyone ? The gap's been narrowed but there's still a gap.
  12.    #92  
    Besides Sony Ericsson's P900 Treo killer I've found another competitor that is releasing a product packed with current technology. Fujitsu Siemens is releasing their product called "LOOX T830" which is a Tri-band, supports 3GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth, integrated GPS, 2 MP camera on the back and a camera on the front for video conferencing, etc. See more information on the device here http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/campaigns/pocket_loox_t/ Why is Palm so reluctant to release products like this? After all most intelligent consumers once realizing the company they put their faith in to provide innovative products isn't doing so those same consumers tend to put their faith and money into competitors that can. Meeting consumer demand isn't just about how many products you can manufacture but also meeting consumer needs by providing up to date technology and features both for business and personal use.
    Last edited by Dark_Knight; 05/28/2006 at 01:06 AM.
    ^^ exactly
    Think Nintendo & playstation. I was an avid fan of the first but ended up with the second.
    If Palm doesn't get its act together soon enough, my next mobile will be WM (YUCK!)
    I think they need to innovate faster
    Jack, forget about the 700p. Compare the 700w to the Q. Does the 700w still look like a good deal? The Q has a higher res screen, more memory, a smaller form-factor, and A2DP out of the box. The 700w has a touchscreen and full-size SD (instead of miniSD), and is a *lot* cheaper.

The bottom line is that Palm's devices are more expensive both because they *can be* (they've had no real competition for the last couple of years...that's just now starting to change) and also because they *have to*. Palm can't afford to sell their devices as low as Motorola. Motorola is a much bigger company, has a much bigger marketing budget, and can offset losses with gains from other divisions if needed.

Now that Motorola may be onto something with this Q, Palm should certainly worry. But Palm still has the secret weapon (the one that they don't want to admit is worth anything special): Palm OS. They're the only ones left using it. And even without multitasking and a few other things, it still has some feature advantages (e.g., high res screen) and a more efficient user experience.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Besides Sony Ericsson's P900 Treo killer I've found another competitor that is releasing a product packed with current technology. Fujitsu Siemens is releasing their product called "LOOX T830" which is a Tri-band, supports 3GSM, WiFi, Bluetooth, integrated GPS, 2 MP camera on the back and a camera on the front for video conferencing, etc. See more information on the device here http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/campaigns/pocket_loox_t/ Why is Palm so reluctant to release products like this? After all most intelligent consumers once realizing the company they put their faith in to provide innovative products isn't doing so those same consumers tend to put their faith and money into competitors that can. Meeting consumer demand isn't just about how many products you can manufacture but also meeting consumer needs by providing up to date technology and features both for business and personal use.
    Oh. My. Gawd. The LOOX series is impressive. Just saw the PDF data sheet and flash demo.
    http://vilpublic.fujitsu-siemens.com...ket_loox_t.pdf
    To think I was gonna keep my current Sprint T650 for another year until Palm revised its OS (wishful thinking), among other things.

I wonder how much this baby costs and what wireless carriers it will work with. (In time, I might turn to the dark side after all!) I also wonder where you can demo this baby in person. Since the LOOX series has Wi-Fi, I wonder if Sprint will bite the bullet and release it. The only thing "funny" about the unit: the SD card slot is on the side. Also wondering if the LOOX series has an easy way to switch from ringtone to vibrate, like the Treo.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    Oh. My. Gawd. The LOOX series is impressive. Just saw the PDF data sheet and flash demo.
    http://vilpublic.fujitsu-siemens.com...ket_loox_t.pdf
    To think I was gonna keep my current Sprint T650 for another year until Palm revised its OS (wishful thinking), among other things.

I wonder how much this baby costs and what wireless carriers it will work with. (In time, I might turn to the dark side after all!) I also wonder where you can demo this baby in person. Since the LOOX series has Wi-Fi, I wonder if Sprint will bite the bullet and release it. The only thing "funny" about the unit: the SD card slot is on the side. Also wondering if the LOOX series has an easy way to switch from ringtone to vibrate, like the Treo.
    What is the "dongle-like" thing they kept showing in the pictures but never described? Is a GPS receiver or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    What is the "dongle-like" thing they kept showing in the pictures but never described? Is a GPS receiver or something?
    http://www.ppcreviews.net/news_pics/8310/2.jpg

Those are car keys, to give a sense of scale. The GPS receiver is built-in.

Surur
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Sorry...guess I have a beta version of "Car Keys" cause mine don't look nearly as refined as those. Must be European keys or keys to a car in the upper price bracket?

Decisions decisions...do I upgrade my phone or my car?
    The key folds back into the body of the keygrip. Its probably from an older Mercedes, before they went completely keyless and infra-red.

http://www.lilviv.com/motoring/cars/c240/keys.jpg

Surur
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast