View Poll Results: Do you believe Palm is failing to provide consumers want they want and need?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

75 52.45%
  • No

68 47.55%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Probably not as many that would want a Razr or Rokr or some type of Nokia for less.
    O.K., who's the fat kid?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Probably not as many that would want a Razr or Rokr or some type of Nokia for less.
    The Treo 700p is newer then the Razr. The razr was then. The treo is now.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    O.K., who's the fat kid?
    Shh. He could be sensitive about his weight!
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    LOL, thanks for the compliments, as expected

Not Many

Question for you, how many are willing to pay $399 w/ 2 year contract and $100 rebate..not only will they have the "state of the art phone", as they see it, but they will have the newest phone with a whole lot of crap they will never use
    The truth is probably somewhere in between NY and L.A. The market for the Treo is clearly not the "average" consumer. Most Treo users are at least professionals of some type. Probably college grads (I know of at least one "bratty, snot-nosed college kid" that is getting one) or otherwise highly educated. JB is right, though, that the average TC user is much more nerdy than the average treo user. Most professionals are CLEARLY less nerdy than the average treo user. And, again, that's palm's market. Though while some of us may be dissapointed in Palm, JB is ultimately right that we aren't going to make or break them. Palm is obviously doing a good job of taking away some of RIMs market share, so, no, I don't think they're failing. Not at selling smartphones anyway.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou
    The truth is probably somewhere in between NY and L.A. The market for the Treo is clearly not the "average" consumer. Most Treo users are at least professionals of some type. Probably college grads (I know of at least one "bratty, snot-nosed college kid" that is getting one) or otherwise highly educated. JB is right, though, that the average TC user is much more nerdy than the average treo user. Most professionals are CLEARLY less nerdy than the average treo user. And, again, that's palm's market. Though while some of us may be dissapointed in Palm, JB is ultimately right that we aren't going to make or break them. Palm is obviously doing a good job of taking away some of RIMs market share, so, no, I don't think they're failing. Not at selling smartphones anyway.
    And also keep in mind that we "nerds" are looking at the technology from a technology standpoint. Most people are looking at it as a solution...not a piece of technology.

I'm in the real etate industry and I can tell you that most agents, brokers, developers, builders, etc -- don't look at the Treo and say "does it have wi-fi" or "what kind of processor does it have" -- they look at it to see if it can keep them in contact with customers and vendors. Can they get e-mail or instant messages? Will it allow them access to the MLS database...and track all the phone numbers and appointments they have.

Of course given Jack's post over in the software thread...I suppose of them are also keeping track of their ex-lovers and mistresses, too...but that's a different story all together.

Add to that the "allure" of having TV on your phone and being able to use it at an "Empty3 player" (as I heard one developer call it) and you've got meat and potatoes (help me Dan Quayle...is that with or without an "e"?) with a bunch of sizzle to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    And also keep in mind that we "nerds" are looking at the technology from a technology standpoint. Most people are looking at it as a solution...not a piece of technology.

I'm in the real etate industry and I can tell you that most agents, brokers, developers, builders, etc -- don't look at the Treo and say "does it have wi-fi" or "what kind of processor does it have" -- they look at it to see if it can keep them in contact with customers and vendors. Can they get e-mail or instant messages? Will it allow them access to the MLS database...and track all the phone numbers and appointments they have.

Of course given Jack's post over in the software thread...I suppose of them are also keeping track of their ex-lovers and mistresses, too...but that's a different story all together.

Add to that the "allure" of having TV on your phone and being able to use it at an "Empty3 player" (as I heard one developer call it) and you've got meat and potatoes (help me Dan Quayle...is that with or without an "e"?) with a bunch of sizzle to it.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I agree, but that is no excuse to introduce a "new" product with minor upgrades and ask $500+ for it.
    But who actually pays $500 other than the "I gotta be 1st on my block w/ latest gadget every 6 months" crowd? It's $399 w/ 2 year contract and peeps who wait a few days will get it for $325-$350 w/ a 1 year contract. I got my 650 for $325 w/ 1 year on day of formal release in brick and mortar when every online store was $399 w/2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    But who actually pays $500 other than the "I gotta be 1st on my block w/ latest gadget every 6 months" crowd? It's $399 w/ 2 year contract and peeps who wait a few days will get it for $325-$350 w/ a 1 year contract. I got my 650 for $325 w/ 1 year on day of formal release in brick and mortar when every online store was $399 w/2 years.
    How about the "my cell phone's been broken for over 2 months and i desperately need to buy this 700p" crowd
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    But who actually pays $500 other than the "I gotta be 1st on my block w/ latest gadget every 6 months" crowd?
    Um...Jack? Look around. You've just described EVERYONE in this freaking forum!!
    <<<<<
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
    Not only that, we'll pay $500 for a phone that we don't even like just to try it out then decide that we want to go back and use the previous $500 phone that was working just fine.

OK, so only I am guilty of that.

650 --> MDA --> BB --> a different 650, all in the space of 6 weeks. Because I am a scientist and need to do scientific experiments you see.
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tastypeppers
    650 --> MDA --> BB --> a different 650, all in the space of 6 weeks. Because I am a scientist and need to do scientific experiments you see.
    600 --> 650 --> PPC6700 <-- 700W ---> 650 myself...all within 2 weeks... Boy my Sprint store loved me!!
    DITTO...DITTO...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Not me...
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart
    Not me...
    Stewy, regardless of what you type...I always gotta check your posts. I'm infatuated with your Avatar.
    Stewy, regardless of what you type...I always gotta check your posts. I'm infatuated with your Avatar.
    That makes two of us...
    at&t iPhone3G
    I think palm is failing . After being a loyal T 600, T650. I simply could not shell out 600 bucks for a minor upgrade and decided not to buy 700 w or P.
    Moved to Nokia E61 . Loaded with features palm will take at least another 4 models ot catch up with .
    Treo's days are numbered."Some unknown device will kill it soon ".
    If 700p is not a good PDA phone, somebody else would be making and releasing a better now. You know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I think palm is failing . After being a loyal T 600, T650. I simply could not shell out 600 bucks for a minor upgrade and decided not to buy 700 w or P.
    Moved to Nokia E61 . Loaded with features palm will take at least another 4 models ot catch up with .
    I heard all things you were saying all along for past few months. There are pros and then there are cons to every product. Majority of us tech junkies like all pros of palm based treo. And that is what makes Palm based treo so famous and addicted. We always talk about multi task OS and A2dp profile and voice dialing off bluetooth headset and bigger screen (well i dont know about this one), and big one WiFi but truth is even with all these short comings, no other smartphone can beat it down. Some missing Treo form factor, some missing touch screen (like E61 you have), some missing camera (like E61), some missing all the softwares Palm has to offer, and then most of them are missing one handed typing and usability of Palm OS which is still best in mobile based gadgets handsdown. So the fact is with all its shortcomings, Palm based Treo is still the best in the market. Trust me even E61, all sony phones, all Motorolla phones cant compete with all the pros Treo700P has to offer. It just comes down to what u need most. If wifi, voice dialing through bluetooth headset and multi tasking are most important for you, than go for other phone but then you must loose some things Treo has to offer. If there is any phone in the market, even for $1000 that has same form factor as Treo700P has and all other feature Treo offer and still got wifi, better bluetooth support and multi tasking. I will be the first to buy that phone. And the fact is there isnt. So stop complaining about Treo and Palm and enjoy your E61. Most of us are happy with Treo
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight
    Palm is seriously failing as a leader in the smartphone market. Taking a look at competitor products such as the Sony Ericsson P990 where features such as Bluetooth voice activated dialing, dual cameras, 3G and WIFI are included is a clear indication Palm which lacks such features isn't looking to the future or even understanding what consumers want or need in a smartphone.

Reference: http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?...=pp1&pid=10336

They are failing in innovation, that's for sure! But also in some basics such as memory and built-in wifi. Also their BT versions are older. Older technology at new prices = not good.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast