View Poll Results: Do you believe Palm is failing to provide consumers want they want and need?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    75 52.45%
  • No

    68 47.55%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 160
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    I agree, but that is no excuse to introduce a "new" product with minor upgrades and ask $500+ for it.
    If it works, why not? Palm will continue to do this until they start losing money, and i'm betting that won't be soon
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  2. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    If it works, why not? Palm will continue to do this until they start losing money, and i'm betting that won't be soon
    Yeah...well...we saw how well that kind of business practice worked out for the American auto industry in the 80's now, didn't we...
  3. #23  
    American auto industry in the 80's....

    What about GM now?
    Arrogance is what is making these companies like this. I'm sure Palm believes that their the best and has no reason or incentive to put out an incredible product, simply because just "good" will do.

    Your point brings me to the quote, if you don't know your past, your bound to repeat it. Palm's future may be in jeopardy, maybe not in the near future, but sometime down the line, if they keep thinking that OK is good enough
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  4. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    American auto industry in the 80's....

    What about GM now?
    Arrogance is what is making these companies like this. I'm sure Palm believes that their the best and has no reason or incentive to put out an incredible product, simply because just "good" will do.

    Your point brings me to the quote, if you don't know your past, your bound to repeat it. Palm's future may be in jeopardy, maybe not in the near future, but sometime down the line, if they keep thinking that OK is good enough
    You must have been in debate...you just from one side of an arguement to the other without any problem. Seems like whenever anyone disagrees with you, you agree with the disagreement...ever thought about becoming a politician?
  5. #25  
    Lol, i didn't vote on if palm was failing for a reason.

    Palm is failing in the eyes of all of you who have been with them for sometime. You are dissapointed with the progression and hoped that the 700 series would be light years ahead of the 650.

    To me, who is just starting with the Palm 700p, I think Palm did a good job, or i wouldn't be buying thier product. Its that simple. I can not be dissapointed with the progression from the 650 to 700 simply because I didn't witness it. The 700p, by all means, is a good product. I just make sure I can see something from another person's point of view before shoving mine down thier throats. Feel Me???
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  6. #26  
    Just as a side note, i generally pick a side and support it fully, but from the dissapointment that was expressed by many 650 users, i can't fully support Palm. Like i said before, if you don't know your past, your bound to repeat it. If I become one of Palm's cheerleaders, i will be in the same position your in a year from now feeling like an A**. Palm obviously has some problems to work out and i don't want the next phone (750, 800) to add wi-fi and a new program and call it their BRAND NEW product for the low, low discount price of $650!!

    I love the 700p though, everyone's actually tired of me talking about it. The jump from my phone to the treo is LIGHTYEARS! For one, it actually works
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  7. #27  
    i have seen company stocks go up when new product is launched. But Palm is on decline since announcing 700P. And this time everybody used good words for 700P for their reviews. Hmmmmm.......... I wonder what is going on...
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

    The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  8. #28  
    Another side note,I only know the quote "if you don't know your past, your bound to repeat it" because that was my...10th or 11th, forgot which one, response to "why do we have to learn history anyway, its boring". I think I heard it about once or twice A WEEK! I guess some of you on here are to old to remember high school so...there you go
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  9. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    i have seen company stocks go up when new product is launched. But Palm is on decline since announcing 700P. And this time everybody used good words for 700P for their reviews. Hmmmmm.......... I wonder what is going on...
    Maybe they paid for those reviews in advertising dollars.

    These days, I have to lower my expectations so I won't be too disappointed. When someone rants about Palm not having xxx feature, I would say to myself: "They'll probably come out with that feature in 20 years."
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    Maybe they paid for those reviews in advertising dollars.

    These days, I have to lower my expectations so I won't be too disappointed. When someone rants about Palm not having xxx feature, I would say to myself: "They'll probably come out with that feature in 20 years."
    No no. Everybody did criticise Palm for not including wifi. Every review i read started with this complain
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

    The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
  11. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ehsan
    No no. Everybody did criticise Palm for not including wifi. Every review i read started with this complain
    Okay, that one is not a rant.

    Well, we still don't have it. Therefore, I like to think that it will be released after 20 years...well, it's more like NEVER.
  12. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #32  
    I don't think Palm is "dead" -- but as many others have said, Palm was an innovator early in its life. The Treo was incredible and different when it came out (especially the 600 form factor). But now that everyone is the "Me too, I'm like Treo" bandwagon Palm just doesn't appear to be innovative.

    There's no "oooh ahhh" feature or form factor change that's come out since the 600. The 650 had a nicer screen...but what else? And now, with the 700, EV-DO is a nice addition -- but its sorta like being wowed by the fact that you've got DSL or a Cable modem at home. It's kind of expected now days. Nice to have...but not out of the ordinary.

    I think the Treo form factor is nice. I don't mind the size at all. It's a heck of a lot easier than lugging my 8 pound laptop around and I get 85% of the functionality of my laptop.

    BUT -- as you look at the future of the PDA/Phone industry, the 700p just doesn't have the FIRE that the original 600 had. It's not that different, not very bold...its tiresome. And I think that's what most of us "old timers" are feeling at this point.

    At this rate, I'm going to be a retirement home before the Treo 600/650/700 form factor!
  13. #33  
    BUT -- as you look at the future of the PDA/Phone industry, the 700p just doesn't have the FIRE that the original 600 had. It's not that different, not very bold...its tiresome. And I think that's what most of us "old timers" are feeling at this point.
    I am no Palm historian so I can't speak on that part, but I just have to add some controversy into this thread.

    The question is "Do you believe Palm is failing to provide consumers with what they want and need?" I think that you cannot answer this question unless you provide a clear and definitive definition on what, or who, the consumer is. The average consumer will not do this much research on their product and MOST LIKELY will not join a site that's sole purpose is to provide a breeding ground for its fans. I do not think that the majority of the people on TC are the "average" consumer. I believe the average consumer may be somewhat uninformed and can easily be swayed over to one side by simple advertising technique's. They see EV-DO as being able to have HIGH SPEED internet on you phone!!! And better yet, you can WATCH TV on it, unbelievable. The very fact that none of you are at all impressed by this shows that you are not the average consumer.

    Companies are required to make their products for the "average" consumer or they have no hope of staying in their market/field for very long. You are not the average consumer, you are the Overly optimistic obsessive compulsive treo addicts who exects the very best and knows the exact specs on the 700p,650p,600p. Most people don't know that it has more ram or not as much as it should, only that it can hold more stuff and go faster! Advertise the 700p as a 650 thats faster, can hold alot more information, and above all else, you can watch live streaming TV (won't tell you its only the news channels) and people will flock, as they are. Palm knows what its doing, and is playing the game very well. Let's just see the sales numbers and see if i'm right. Anyway, i've opened myself up so lets see what you've all got
    Last edited by justbrown522; 05/24/2006 at 03:29 PM.
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  14. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    I am no Palm historian so I can't speak on that part, but I just have to add some controversy into this thread.

    The question is "Do you believe Palm is failing to provide consumers with what they want and need?" I think that you cannot answer this question unless you provide a clear and definitive definition on what, or who, the consumer is. The average consumer will not do this much research on their product and MOST LIKELY will not join a site that's sole purpose is to provide a breeding ground for its fans. I do not think that the majority of the people on TC are the "average" consumer. I believe the average consumer may be somewhat uninformed and can easily be swayed over to one side by simple advertising technique's. They see EV-DO as being able to have HIGH SPEED internet on you phone!!! And better yet, you can WATCH TV on it, unbelievable. The very fact that none of you are at all impressed by this shows that you are not the average consumer.

    Companies are required to make their products for the "average" consumer or they have no hope of staying in their market/field for very long. You are not the average consumer, you are the Overly optimistic obsessive compulsive treo addicts who exects the very best and knows the exact specs on the 700p,650p,600p. Most people don't know that it has more ram or not as much as it should, only that it can hold more stuff! Advertise the 700p as a 650 thats faster, can hold alot more information, and above all else, you can watch live streaming TV (won't tell you its only the new channels) and people will flock, as they are. Palm knows what its doing, and is playing the game very well. Let's just see the sales numbers and see if i'm right. Anyway, i've opened myself up so lets see what you've all got
    I resemble that remark!!

    All I'll say in counter to that is: Most people didn't know they wanted a Treo 600 until it was invented.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    I am no Palm historian so I can't speak on that part, but I just have to add some controversy into this thread.

    The question is "Do you believe Palm is failing to provide consumers with what they want and need?" I think that you cannot answer this question unless you provide a clear and definitive definition on what, or who, the consumer is. The average consumer will not do this much research on their product and MOST LIKELY will not join a site that's sole purpose is to provide a breeding ground for its fans. I do not think that the majority of the people on TC are the "average" consumer. I believe the average consumer may be somewhat uninformed and can easily be swayed over to one side by simple advertising technique's. They see EV-DO as being able to have HIGH SPEED internet on you phone!!! And better yet, you can WATCH TV on it, unbelievable. The very fact that none of you are at all impressed by this shows that you are not the average consumer.

    Companies are required to make their products for the "average" consumer or they have no hope of staying in their market/field for very long. You are not the average consumer, you are the Overly optimistic obsessive compulsive treo addicts who exects the very best and knows the exact specs on the 700p,650p,600p. Most people don't know that it has more ram or not as much as it should, only that it can hold more stuff and go faster! Advertise the 700p as a 650 thats faster, can hold alot more information, and above all else, you can watch live streaming TV (won't tell you its only the news channels) and people will flock, as they are. Palm knows what its doing, and is playing the game very well. Let's just see the sales numbers and see if i'm right. Anyway, i've opened myself up so lets see what you've all got
    It's like watching your bratty, snot nosed nephew grow up into a well-informed young man that doesn't embarrass you (that much) anymore. Good post.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  16. Haggar's Avatar
    Posts
    894 Posts
    Global Posts
    950 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    It's like watching your bratty, snot nosed nephew grow up into a well-informed young man that doesn't embarrass you (that much) anymore. Good post.
    Well...he's still snotty nosed...
  17. #37  
    How many "average" consumers spend $600 on a cell phone?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggar
    Well...he's still snotty nosed...
    And he's still embarrasing...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  19. #39  
    LOL, thanks for the compliments, as expected

    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    How many "average" consumers spend $600 on a cell phone?
    Not Many

    Question for you, how many are willing to pay $399 w/ 2 year contract and $100 rebate..not only will they have the "state of the art phone", as they see it, but they will have the newest phone with a whole lot of crap they will never use
    University Of Pittsburgh
    Class of 2010
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrown522
    LOL, thanks for the compliments, as expected


    Not Many

    Question for you, how many are willing to pay $399 w/ 2 year contract and $100 rebate
    Probably not as many that would want a Razr or Rokr or some type of Nokia for less.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions