1.    #1  

I live in Alaska. Up here, the only good service we have is GSM. There are two cellular companies up here, but the only one worth using is Cellular One. Now, GCI uses Cellular One's service but offers different plans.

So, really all I can have is dial up speeds at $40 a month on a GSM service.

I really want a treo 700w. I can't have a treo 700w because it isn't in a GSM version, and it won't be untill at least november (REALLY LONG TIME)! And, I can always get a Treo 650, but the palm OS, well, .

I use my current T-Mobile SDA (unlocked) as a media device, and the 650 isn't all that good for music, because it doesn't have windows media player. It has other programs, but I feel they just aren't as good.

Can someone PLEASE convince me to like the palm OS? Give some strongpoints, shoot me to a treo 650 video review (NOT CNETS)

I need to love the Palm OS, or I'm done for.

HELP!
  2.    #3  
    Ha ha ha. I wish it was that easy....
    Simple, one handed use.

Chatter, PTunes, Directory Assistant, KeySuite and 1000s of other applications.

And if that's not enough, there's always the "Zen of Palm" :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by unknownman_007
    I can always get a Treo 650, but the palm OS, well,
    What is (are) your gripe(s) with the Palm OS?

From everything I've heard & read, the 700W is not as "on-the-go" friendly as a 600 or 650. The 700P (and any GSM variant thereof) will probably help resolve that issue for the 700 brand. Time heals all tech woes, eventually!

I am heavily invested into MS for work and home computing, but I am not sure that the upside of more seamless integration with my day-to-day apps (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint to name a few) is worth changing from the intuitiveness of the Palm OS. For the most part, anything I need to do on my home or work PC, I can do on my 600 (and after this afternoon, my 650! ) as a stop-gap measure. I don't think that I would want to use any mobile device as my primary tool for work--as a writer, I shudder at the thought of writing long passages on a thumb board, much less doing page layout and formatting--but in a pinch, it allows me to do a brain dump, so I don't lose ideas and can elaborate on them when I'm at a more powerful computer.

I don't know enough about WM apps, but I suspect that the Palm OS offerings outnumber anything available for WM. You'd be hard-pressed to find any function that is available ONLY for WM that doesn't have some similar type of application for the Palm OS; perhaps it's not perfect emulation and requires a few more taps/configuration, but you've got to decide if a smartphone is going to be a main computing/multimedia tool, which is a little unfair IMO.

Until I know what your specific beefs are with the Palm OS, I can't really provide more pros or cons that haven't already been offered. Maybe you don't like the Palm OS because you are invested into the Windows OS, and you consider it some kind of heresey; not unlike how Mac and PC users tend to see themselves as unable to use the other platform under any circumstance. If you haven't worked with the Palm OS, you are not giving it a fair break and you might just be short changing yourself.

YMMV...
    It took some convincing for me, too. The Treo is my first Palm OS device. I love the ease of use of the programs written for the OS, I love the crazy developers who can't wait to get the next new thing working in Palm, and the responsiveness of the OS is terrific. I have a friend at work who is a long-time Palm user and a developer. He got the 650 and convinced me to get one over my initial plan to get a Windows OS device. At the same time, another coworker got a new Windows mobile device. He had more problems than I thought were possible with ANY device. I had a few, but they were operator errors.
    Positives for Treo Palm OS devices in my opinion:
    1. Dedicated developers on the grass-roots level who care about the programs they are developing
    2. Fast, responsive use
    3. Outstanding 3rd party apps with long and proven track records
    4. Pocket Tunes, TCPMP, xWeather, HandyShopper, DirAssist
    5. Crazy TreoCentral Forum users

Laurie
    Austin
    I'd have to agree with hotbranch. Would be helpful to know why you feel so strongly about the POS. Do you have some MS-specific apps that you need to run on it?

Been using the 650, with minimal apps, without any random resets, etc. since October. Very stable, I can work on MS docs on it with Docs2Go, the phone works very well (no "can you hear me now" problems). It could be that I got very lucky with the unit I got.

It seems that the more apps you have running on it, the more problems you have. I have about 10 additional apps and no problems. I haven't done any custom ROMs or any mods to the files (a lot of which people do without any problems). Since this is my only phone, though, that's its main use and it's important to keep it working right and not load up on random games, fun apps, etc.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  7.    #8  
    Wow! Okay guys, thanks for your help! Your long, and detailed responses really do me some good. I hope to swing by our cellular store today and give the 650 a try, and if I like it, I think i'll purchase one off ebay. I would also get the 1mm thick plastic coating and the belt clip for it as well. And don't forget the 2.5mm to 3.5mm headphone jack converter! I plan to use it as my media device and the such, although I've got a question. The hip cases, as seen here: http://blog.treonauts.com/2006/05/clear_as_crysta.html

If I start doing intense stuff, lets say running, is the device (under preasure) squeese out of the holder and flop on to the ground? I currently have a SDA with a horizontal leather case that it sits in, so I've never had that problem.

Curious if that will be required for the treo to do what I'm doing?

I've just seen flip phones pop out of those cases under preasure before, so curious about the treo.

thanks!
    If I start doing intense stuff, lets say running, is the device (under preasure) squeese out of the holder and flop on to the ground? I currently have a SDA with a horizontal leather case that it sits in, so I've never had that problem.

Curious if that will be required for the treo to do what I'm doing?

I've just seen flip phones pop out of those cases under preasure before, so curious about the treo.
    Interesting. My suggestion would be that you get a case that you use specifically for an intense task, such as running. I'm not a runner, but if I were, I'd use my USB key/MP3 player for music and let people wait until my workout was over before talking to them (but that's just me). You can probably find an inexpensive padded compact camera case with a belt loop that cinches at the top (maybe even with a velcro fastener) to ensure that your Treo doesn't come flying out (which is exactly the kind of case I got my wife for her Palm Z22 because she is constantly rummaging through her purse and things are always falling out).

Of course, my Treos (180 and 600) have been airborne for the dumbest of reasons (falling out of a breast pocket, popping out of a case too quickly), and never while in "intense situations".

I do use my Treo 600 as an MP3 player, but usually in more "stable" environments (when dressing for a hockey game or walking the dog), where the opportunity for big bumps and jolts are rare.
    I hope to swing by our cellular store today and give the 650 a try, and if I like it, I think i'll purchase one off ebay.
    'Try it' is probably the best advice; in your position I'd look into sale or return options (probably not ebay then!)
  10.    #11  
    Sweet, thanks your your advice! What I ment by intense situations, is that my purpose is to eliminate my PDA, phone, and iPod. The SDA has done somewhat of a good job with that, other than the lack of a QWERTY keyboard. So that what my wondering, if I do have the treo and find myself outside maybe to lift a small thing, etc, would it pop out of its case? Although, the fact I would have the 1mm shell on it, I could easily just put it in my pocket and the treo would avoid most damage.

I could even get a horizontal case as well.

One treo, 1mm shell, 1mm shell belt case, horizontal leather case, and audio jack converter.

One final question:
    I've got a 2gb miniSD card, with an SD card converter. Would I be able to use my miniSD card with the miniSD card converter (converts miniSD to full SD) to listen to music and stuff on?

Curious, would save a lot.
    Thanks.
    Just tought I'd drop in to tell you that the 1mm shell is an extremely good thing! Small, compact, it does not add a lot of bulk to the treo, and it covers most of the treo!
    - Jeeman
    My goal when I got the Treo 180 was to eliminate the bulky phone/pda combo. It did a good job and was reliable until I dropped it a few times getting in and out of the car. The final straw was when the flip top disconnected completely. Luckily, the wires remained intact, so I was able to repair the damage and it's still a fine phone, albeit a little fragile. The Treo 600 allowed me to stop carrying my MP3 player as well, but it was never a big hassle (similar to the Creative MuVo) in terms of space.

The biggest impact for my Treo 600 has been about a 3.5 foot vertical drop onto a grocery store tile floor. The large-ish rubber plug below the antenna popped out and disappeared, the phone rebooted, and there was a new scratch or two, but otherwise was fine and working properly ever since. Any kind of protective case will help reduce the risk of device injury, but can't eliminate it altogether. If you can accept the fact that the odds are you will drop your phone at some point, you should be good and not too paranoid.

One final question:
    I've got a 2gb miniSD card, with an SD card converter. Would I be able to use my miniSD card with the miniSD card converter (converts miniSD to full SD) to listen to music and stuff on?
    I'm no expert (nor do I play one on TV), but I would expect you to have no issues using a miniSD card if it's in an adapter. If you are using an MMC card, you would probably have playback issues, as I have read that SD has faster data transfer than MMC. I would guess that miniSD has the same 9or similar) transfer rates to SD. As far as the phone is concerned, it should see an SD card, regardless of the adapter.
  13.    #14  
    Okay, cool. Thanks for all the tips guys! I look forward to giving the Treo a try, and sooner or later I might either sell it, or keep it and sell the SDA! I myself am interested into what route I may take. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated if I have any more questions, and hope to become an active member of the forums! Thanks for all your help!

Let me know if you have any additional tips.

Thanks.
    People talk all the time about "essentials" - backup and uninstall programs are first - but I also think one of my best purchases was a Sync and Charge cable - the self-retracting type. Excellent storage size and it serves two purposes.

(BTW - If interested in a practically new Covertec horizontal leather case - cheap - PM me)
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    Look at any of the 56 or so 700w publsihed reviews in Business Week, WSJ, PC mag or wherever ya want to go. About 55 of them say that the 700w is the best WM5 device ever made, and conclude that while that is certainly an accomplishment, it's not as good as the 650.
    As far as a case that you can feel confident about for use while running or working out, there isn't one yet. In the accessories forum there are a couple of threads that hint at one being in development, but that's been going on for quite a while. In the meantime, it's risky with any of the cases now available to try to use your Treo while exercising.
    The leather case that I bought at the Sprint store for the T650 is actually very good for activity - sturdy clip, rotates and stays put, snaps shut. The only thing I don't like about it is the clear cover over the keypad. So I do use it for activities, and use a different one for carrying around in briefcase, pocket, etc. because it has easier access to the keys and is easier to open.

Check out the reviews. There are a couple of "sports model" cases that strap on the arm, I think.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  18.    #19  
    Thanks for all the help guys! I'm looking at buying one for sure now. Let me know if any of you guys have one for sale here, i've already put a few inqueries in the marketplace.