1.    #1  
    Hello - I am new to the Treo world, and will be purchasing my first one next month. I have a few questions about usage -

1. If you are on a call, and someone sends you and email at the same time, can you place the call on hold and view the email, and then return to the call?

2. If you are on a call, and need to access an Excel spreadsheet, can you place the call on hold, open the spreadsheet, and then return to the call?

If this capability is possible, it it already part of the phone's software or does it require third-party software.

Thank you in advance.
    Yes and Yes, POS uses suspend and resume, but if i can remember correctly you dont even have to put the phone down but its been a while since i used my 650 so my memeroies are getting rolled into the one with the Kjam.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    how will email comes in if you are on a call when other person sent email??? Am i missing something here??
    Technological superiority has never won a product battle. If that were the case we would all be flying in supersonic Concordes and using Apple computers.

The key to winning the battle is a combination of price, convenience, marketing, sound business model and a bit of luck.
    with a gsm phone your email will still be fetched or pushed if you are on the phone. cdma to bad so sad, unless you have the the 700p and evdo. While on the phone you can continue to talk and check out the spreadsheet look at the email or even play a game if the conversation is let's say from your wife and she is nagging you about spending to much time with your new girlfriend (aka new treo) True multitasking with the palm os is not there programs are suspended as you swap to another, but your phone itself will work and you can continue talking while moving through applications

Hope this helps
    There's always next year!
    not to point out the obvious to the experienced set here - but I did one of these "multi-tasks" today for the first time - was on a call and went to Launcher and opened up Diddlebug to write down a phone number while the call was still live. I did not have a pen/paper handy. That, IMO, was sweeet. After about 6 weeks, I find something else every few days that makes me run like a giddy 10 year old to my wife and go "look at this". She is not as impressed.......
    It's not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change” - Darwin
    1, No. I just check, I can't check versamail when I am on a call
    2, Yes no problem. (No need to hold, you can turn on speaker phone.)
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by igrover
    Hello - I am new to the Treo world, and will be purchasing my first one next month. I have a few questions about usage -

1. If you are on a call, and someone sends you and email at the same time, can you place the call on hold and view the email, and then return to the call?

2. If you are on a call, and need to access an Excel spreadsheet, can you place the call on hold, open the spreadsheet, and then return to the call?

If this capability is possible, it it already part of the phone's software or does it require third-party software.

Thank you in advance.
    1. No you CANNOT send or recieve email while on a call. It doesn't matter if you have GSM or CDMA (with or without EvDO). It is a technology limitation. You can write and read them, but no data traffic can occur. With CDMA, not sure about with GSM, you can send and recieve text while on the phone. I assume you can with GSM as well, but I dont have one to test with.

2. You can edit a spreadsheet, review it, whatever while on a call. I use speaker phone or a bluetooth headset to accomplish this task.
  8.    #8  
    Thank you for the information!
    if you can't send and recieve an email why can you get a call while on the web GSM? there are 2 seperate channels on GSM one data one voice, now on the other hand I know why you can't with cdma one channel = voice call to voice mail while on web. Me I'm CDMA but I'm going to check out my buddies cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by scuzlebutt
    if you can't send and recieve an email why can you get a call while on the web GSM? there are 2 seperate channels on GSM one data one voice, now on the other hand I know why you can't with cdma one channel = voice call to voice mail while on web. Me I'm CDMA but I'm going to check out my buddies cingular
    On GSM, you can get a call while you have a data connection but not while you are transferring data, there is a difference. I have chattermail running and I miss calls if one comes in at the exact time chatter is downloading.

No data and voice at the same time for GSM, but SMS still works when on a call

EvDO you can be downloading and it will suspend to let the call in. This might not be an EvDO feature, but a fix that palm implemented to cure the missed calls problem... the network might send an sms signal?
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    You can read the excellent (and complete) reply by Mr. Taylor to a
    similar question (GSM + GPRS) in this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...light=gsm+gprs

- mvk
    Last edited by GreenHex; 05/17/2006 at 12:38 PM.
    Thanks guys!