Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    i have a sneaking suspicion that palm is going to replace frankengarnet 5.4.9 with linux os eventually, since there appear to be problems implementing the badly needed wifi, and better multitasking capabilities into its devices. cnet has even stated that they didnt get the feeling palm was very eager to upgrade their os, so this truly makes you wonder.

up until now, palm os has proven its worth with its "ease of use" appeal.
    admittedly, i am a fan. but it is beginning to show its limitations compared with the capabilities of other devices such as the 8125, etc. what i have always loved about it is the expandability - how you can choose from thousands of third party apps in order to customize your device. it remains my favorite, bar none.

but in order to keep the treo above these other competitors in the future, palm is going to have to release a wifi treo with better multitasking abilities. if they cant do it with garnet or cobalt, ive got a feeling they`re going to do it with another os, which i think is going to be linux - hence palm`s recent hiring of a team of linux developers.
    I agree with you vw. I think that multi-tasking is something that more and more people take for granted and it greatly enhances the useability of a device.

I wonder if the 10's (100's?) of thousands of current palm programs will run under this new os?
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Yep, that their plan.

Cobalt is already 1.5 years old, it is dead and will never see the market place, POS development has stopped for the switching over to Linux.

Even if a device with Cobalt on it shipped, who would develop apps for cobalt knowing that it has a 1 year shelf life. OK, it 'should' run 'most' of the existing apps, but the thing about Cobalt is the support of modern features.

So IMHO we may see a few devices running the same as the 700p but no more updates until linux comes out.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Does it matter? There is minimum OS change between 650 and 700p.

There will be another lowend Palm Treo I figure.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    true. the rumored low-end treo due out this year will also run palm os. I honestly believe that future low end treos from palm will be equipped with palm os, but all higher end models will be running linux, so to incorporate wifi.
    palm must know the lack of this feature is a drawback, and one they have to inplement if they want to remain on top.
    I gotta have more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    true. the rumored low-end treo due out this year will also run palm os. I honestly believe that future low end treos from palm will be equipped with palm os, but all higher end models will be running linux, so to incorporate wifi.
    palm must know the lack of this feature is a drawback, and one they have to inplement if they want to remain on top.
    I don't agree. Palm is starting to show some of that good old Apple arrogance. EV-DO is "fast enough" and I can hear them saying the same thing about HSDPA. WE'VE determined you don't need it, so WE have decided to leave it out of the smartphone that WE have decided to make you use.

They're just not watching their Achilles heel (HTC, O2, Samsung, Motorola, Nokia).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    EV-DO is "fast enough" and I can hear them saying the same thing about HSDPA.
    I hope so. Soon.

WE'VE determined you don't need it, so WE have decided to leave it out of the smartphone that WE have decided to make you use.
    If I don't like what they bring to market I won't buy it. I don't really see how they can make me.

Would I like Wifi in a Treo? If it had it I'd probably use it but HSDPA (or even non-HSDPA UMTS) should cover most of my needs. In a 3G smartphone I'd much rather have a decent GPS chip than Wifi.
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    I hope so. Soon.

If I don't like what they bring to market I won't buy it. I don't really see how they can make me.

Would I like Wifi in a Treo? If it had it I'd probably use it but HSDPA (or even non-HSDPA UMTS) should cover most of my needs. In a 3G smartphone I'd much rather have a decent GPS chip than Wifi.
    There is definitely a case to be made for a gps-equipped treo. especially if you`re a road warrior in need of this feature. I think its a great idea. im sure eventually, though not anytime soon, palm will consider installing that chip into the device. it would take the "all in one" concept to yet another level.
    Think about cost...what use is GPS w/o GPS software....with a $40 chip, ya gotta add $100 software (retail $150) adding $140 to $679 is one hell of a price tag. Then add WiFi, the new graphics chios from Nvidia / ATI...the new sound chip.......and you see where this is going.

As for what Palm is oing OS wise, read this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110894
    Yes this will be the last Treo with Palm OS. Then they're going to arbitrarily deactivate every Palm OS device ever made with a secret EMP, and then they will explode into flames.
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    jack, this is why I said palm will not consider gps anytime soon!
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    get serious, iamvincent.

they're not going to use an emp bomb to deactivate every palm os device ever made! c'mon! that's ridiculous, man!

they'll do it by way of email virus, pal! come on! don't you know that by now!!!! sheesh. some people!!!
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    get serious, iamvincent.

they're not going to use an emp bomb to deactivate every palm os device ever made! c'mon! that's ridiculous, man!

they'll do it by way of email virus, pal! come on! don't you know that by now!!!! sheesh. some people!!!
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    If POS the OS that Palm or Palm Source writes and / or customizes for its devices....then Garnet, Cobalt and PalmLinux / ALP et al will all still be POS's ... and WM users will still refer to it as the "Piece of Sh*t" OS anyway
    I have news for you guys. THe Treo 650 was the LAST Treo to run "PalmOS." If you notice the Treo 700p is "Access powered" now!

Hehe...in all seriousness though. The next gen Treo (beyond the GSM/UMTS versions) will not now come out for another 1.5+ years at minimum...meaning the end of 2007 or early 2008. That is the earliest we will see an ALP Treo if it ever materializes...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Think about cost...what use is GPS w/o GPS software....with a $40 chip, ya gotta add $100 software (retail $150) adding $140 to $679 is one hell of a price tag. Then add WiFi, the new graphics chios from Nvidia / ATI...the new sound chip.......and you see where this is going.
    Jack, I think it's pretty clear that when I wrote this:

Quote Originally Posted by marcol
    I wasn't suggesting the addition of GPS and Wifi (let alone new graphics and sound chips). In fact I wasn't really suggesting that adding GPS was something Palm should do. I was just expressing the opinion that if it came to a choice I'd personally prefer GPS to Wifi. That said, Iím as willing as anyone to have a go at dodgy analysis , and if we are to think about whether Palm really should add GPS to Treos, youíre absolutely right that costs have to be considered.

I don't know if your cost of $40/chip is correct, but I did a quick comparison on the Expansys web site between the iMate Jamin, Mio A701 and Eten G500, which are pretty similar WM5 smartphones excepting that the Jamin has Wifi but no GPS and the A701 and G500 have GPS but no Wifi. These are the costs:

iMate Jamin (Wifi, no GPS):£399.95
    Mio A701 (GPS, no Wifi):£390.11
    Eten G500 (GPS, no Wifi): £374.95

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=129252
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=129999
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=129593

I know this analysis is hardly scientific, but I think it at least indicates that adding a GPS chip doesn't result in stratospheric prices. Of course, to make use of the GPS you'll need some software, and for most people that would mean a street routing app and these can be quite expensive. Adding Mio Map with European maps to the A701 adds a little under £50, adding TomTom Navigator 5 with European maps adds £136.95!

Conclusion? GPS chips (even the currently-most-desirable SiRFIII chips in the Mio and Eten) probably don't add a great deal to device cost whereas mapping software can be pricy. Could Palm add GPS to a Treo at a reasonable cost? Well they could probably offer a Treo with just the chip at a reasonable price and let users decide whether to add the software. Should Palm offer a GPS Treo? I don't know, but it's worth noting that smartphones with integrated GPS are a coming thing (add the HP 69xx devices to the Mios and the Eten) so several manufacturers obviously think there's a market there. Integrating GPS into PDAs and smartphones seems be working for Mio:

http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...t-for-q1-2006/

If Palm don't do it, they might well be missing out.
    Last edited by marcol; 05/18/2006 at 04:48 AM.
    I still say Palm will use an EMP...
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    I have news for you guys. THe Treo 650 was the LAST Treo to run "PalmOS." If you notice the Treo 700p is "Access powered" now!

Hehe...in all seriousness though. The next gen Treo (beyond the GSM/UMTS versions) will not now come out for another 1.5+ years at minimum...meaning the end of 2007 or early 2008. That is the earliest we will see an ALP Treo if it ever materializes...

ALP or something that Ed C. and Co. are cooking up in the basement. . . .. . . .I have $25 riding on that a Treo with it arrives before 2/28/08.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    ALP or something that Ed C. and Co. are cooking up in the basement. . . .. . . .I have $25 riding on that a Treo with it arrives before 2/28/08.

Countin' them chickens already????
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Countin' them chickens already????
    Not really, but I do think I am well positioned. If Palm is releasing 4 Treos this year -- what are they going to do in 2007 to keep the year over year growth going? That leads me to believe they might double time the development of the Palm/Linux Treo to (1)meet the challenge of other alternatives and (2) make the year over year financial comparisons by having it ready for a late 2007 holiday item. If not, 2/28 is positioned for getting "sales" into that fiscal quarter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast